We're building the data infrastructure and consumer applications that support our core business and developing products.
San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
Senior Platform Engineer
At NerdWallet, we are passionate about creating personal finance systems that impact the lives of millions of users. NerdWallet is seeking engineers to help us innovate and shape our products and services as we expand. Our engineers work on complex problems at scale across our web and mobile applications. Our backend systems are the core foundation of NerdWallet’s personalized experiences via user profiles, recommendations, and cross-platform communications. The ideal candidate will be a crucial member of our engineering team and help design, build, and maintain systems necessary to continue our rapid growth.
Where you can make an impact:
- Design and lead the development of high-performance, secure, scalable and delightful consumer-first experiences that improve the lives for millions of users.
- Build easy to use tools and services that will be utilized across our product, engineering, and design organizations.
- Guide the architecture while communicating trade-offs between technical debt, quality, and speed.
- A Leader and owner: You have demonstrated ownership by defining and leading technical vision, are able to weigh trade-offs between short-term and long-term solutions, and enjoy mentoring and inspiring other engineers.
- Communicative and collaborative: You are able to work effectively with others. You will be working closely with other engineers, teams, and product managers to build product features and high quality products. You represent project status and communicate with business partners, product, and technology leaders
- Simplifier: Someone who can define complex projects and deliver them with larger groups (3+) of other engineers; this goes hand in hand with identifying engineering-team wide issues and raising them to management.
- Customer focused: You are passionate about creating systems that improve the lives of millions of users.
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field or equivalent experience
- Multiple years of engineering experience with a proven track record of building consumer web applications or services
- Experience influencing strategy within their working group, proactively identifying and resolving technical issues before escalation is required
- Experience with scaling and optimizing performance of distributed services
- Extensive experience with server-side languages like Python, Go
- Implementation experience with multiple AWS technologies
- Hands on experience with Terraform
- Familiarity with Single Page Application Frameworks (React, Angular, Backbone), responsive design, or MVC design patterns
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work hard, stay balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 12 holidays + Mental Health Days
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend and Cell Phone Stipend
Have some fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours and team bonding across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- WiFi stipend, work from home equipment stipend, and co-working space subsidy
- Commuting stipend and catered breakfast, lunch and onsite barista for SF based Nerds
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.#LI-ET1