We're building the data infrastructure and consumer applications that support our core business and developing products.
San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
Technical Program Manager (Consumer)
As a discipline, Program Management functions as the connective tissue stitching together Product-Engineering-Design-Data-Business to deliver project excellence throughout NerdWallet's ecosystem. By practice, program managers enable senior management, thought leaders, and individual contributors to achieve predictable planning, execution, and reporting quality with expertise in project tools and best-in-class methodologies.
NerdWallet is seeking an individual with rich experiential depth in the classical program management paradigm of balancing venture against core product initiatives within the linear constraints of scope, time, cost, and quality. Beyond this core function, the key opportunity for a Program Manager is the additional complexity of working within a successful, hypergrowth startup that aims to revolutionize the personal finance space by bringing clarity to all of life’s financial decisions. This setting requires a focused, credible individual that can influence and lend structure to an ambitious and dynamic environment.
Where you will make an impact:
- Provide program management support for teams and consumer facing initiatives.
- Collaborate with diverse teams to develop, organize, and execute cross-functional plans for delivering products that drive NerdWallet’s growth.
- Build trust and respect with technical as well as non-technical members of NerdWallet by demonstrating that you can collaborate with engineers, while also having the ability of upleveling to communicate with non-technical stakeholders to appropriately address their needs.
- Develop timelines and roadmaps, improve processes and workflows that result in teams delivering on their committed work each quarter.
- Work with product, technology and design leaders to define strategic investments that help all of our products get better over time. You will work closely with internal and external stakeholders to identify, define and prioritize initiatives.
- Streamline the way teams collectively deliver against their strategic goals and highest priorities.
- Act as an agile coach with responsibilities including but not limited to: scrum master, scrum coaching, velocity tracking, scheduling, and running ceremonies.
- Be the point person for tracking and resolving cross-team dependencies.
- Own progress tracking and reporting on all workstreams. Facilitate meetings and effectively communicate project expectations and deadlines to team members and stakeholders.
- Chief advocate for health and efficiency of project delivery within the Product, Engineering, Design & Data environment with the goal of achieving balance of focus on both high value outputs and optimized for correctly calibrated outcomes. Provide feedback, coaching, and recommendations for management and individual contributors.
- Acting as an Agile expert for internal projects; providing key points of articulation for best practices in multiple Agile approaches (from Lean to Scrum to Kanban).
- Executing creative problem solving approach to operability, project logistics, and communications of status and dependencies with sensitivity to needs of individuals.
- Leveraging deep product development experiences to guide projects in flight to exceptional outcomes.
- You have an interest and enthusiasm for consumer internet space in general and personal finance in particular.
- Possessing superior situational awareness, managing without authority, and negotiation skills.
- Able to understand complex requirements and actively develop proscriptive course corrections, scaling between low level project tasks to big picture success criteria.
- Consistently able to construct planning frameworks for projects on the ground and wide-ranging experience with workflow and project management tooling systems coupled with facility to introduce and sustain usage towards making the work environment better, faster, stronger.
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 4+ years of technical program management experience and 5+ years of professional experience preferred.
- Facilitating strategic discussions where multiple solutions are proposed and trade-offs are considered with senior leadership.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work hard, stay balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity and Inclusion, Womxn, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.