We uncover the insights, models and data that help Nerds build products people love.
San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
Manager, Business Intelligence
NerdWallet is seeking a technically savvy BI leader for our Analytics & BI team. This professional will provide vision and expertise that unlocks the power of self-serve data through our Looker BI platform. Successful candidates will partner with our Analytics and Data Engineering colleagues to democratize NerdWallet data and empower advanced data exploration. Ideal candidates will be collaborative, business-minded and interested in the power of NerdWallet to improve consumers' lives.
Where you will make an impact:
- Provide technical vision and Looker expertise for the build-out of NerdWallet’s growing Business Intelligence needs.
- Manage and mentor a team of Looker experts and administrators.
- Partner closely with the broader Analytics team to understand the Business strategies and the associated measurement needs.
- Establish clear vision and requirements for data structure best suited to NerdWallet BI needs.
- Collaborate with Data Engineering and ensure effective requirements communication.
- Encourage self-service reporting by building and maintaining the tools needed for it.
- Drive the governance that allows for responsible data democratization and decision making with training, guidance, style guides, access controls and SQL/LookML code reviews.
- A leader: You inspire confidence in your work and in your team by driving forward data in the business and growing your team’s skill set.
- A creative problem solver: You’re passionate about answering questions with data and always learning.
- A structured thinker: You understand how to break down a complex problem into key drivers to our business and identify how to modify them to improve business metrics. You are skilled at framing problems and accurately scoping out approaches.
- Highly productive: You can work with limited oversight on a day-to-day basis. This role is intended for someone who will take meaningful responsibility and initiative for our business metrics.
- Consumer first and have a positive attitude: You must be motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment – business decisions here can connect and impact millions of users.
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 8+ years of professional experience in BI or Technology field leading/managing complex technical projects.
- 3+ years of successful business intelligence or analytics team management experience, including employee development, performance management, and delivering results.
- Fluency in SQL with experience using a scripting language like Python or R.
- Data visualization and hands on experience with Looker required (Tableau or similar tools beneficial).
- Experience in cloud databases (Amazon Redshift, Snowflake is preferred).
- Experience in Airflow, or similar BI/analytics workflow tools
- Experience in Amplitude or similar web analytics tools.
- BA/BS degree, Masters a plus - preferably in a quantitative field like Math, Statistics or Economics.
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work hard, stay balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have some fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity and Inclusion, Womxn, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.