We're committed to developing an environment that encourages growth and provides a clear path for success.
San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
Senior Director, Total Rewards & Operations
In this key leadership role, you will be an innovator and an out-of-the-box thinker who can reimagine our global rewards strategy and build our HR operational capabilities to scale with our business growth. As a thought leader and partner to the Chief People Officer, and the entire executive team you will consult with key stakeholders to manage, drive and influence the development and execution of global rewards, benefits, employee programs, and processes while balancing the financial goals of the company. You will work with the business leaders to translate the business strategy and objectives into a comprehensive Total Rewards & Operations strategy to meet our business needs today and into the future as we scale.
Where you can make an impact:
- Defining a single, unified, and scalable vision and strategy for Total Rewards at NerdWallet that aligns with our business strategy and financial plans
- Providing strategic direction to the Total Rewards and Operations teams to effectively evaluate, design, propose, implement, and communicate strategy, programs, policies, and initiatives that will enable NerdWallet to continue to attract, retain, and motivate top talent
- Liaising with and creating materials for Compensation Committee meetings along with NerdWallet’s Chief People Officer, General Counsel, and CFO to drive recommendations for executive compensation, equity programs, and other analyses as requested by the Committee
- Leading, mentoring, coaching, and developing our diverse team of compensation, benefits, and operations specialists
- Ensuring that Total Rewards, operations practices, and reporting activities align with our internal Diversity, Equity, and Inclusions philosophy and strategy
- Supporting merger and acquisition activities, including due diligence, evaluation, and integration of Total Rewards and Operations programs
- Leading the team through regular benchmarking cycles to analyze and assess market data, industry trends, and best practices to create market-competitive reward packages and identify potential opportunities and gaps; Scanning the external market to understand trends and “next practices” in Total Rewards and Operations
- Leading the evolution of compensation and benefits programs as a newly public company
- Owning all reporting and compliance-related activities related to Total Rewards for public company needs. Ensuring compensation, benefits plans, and HR operations comply with laws and regulations
- Educating the organization, particularly our people managers, on topics related to Total Rewards
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 10+ years experience in the People function, with at least 3 years experience as a people leader in the Total Rewards space
- Extensive knowledge of compensation, benefits, HR operations, and global mobility program design, implementation, and ongoing administration;
- Global compensation committee experience
- Outstanding attention to detail and the ability to exercise good judgment
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-moving environment, with high ambiguity and competing priorities
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to explain complex ideas in a simple, clear manner, to a wide variety of audiences (from individual contributors to our Board members)
- Experience leading teams and managing managers with a track record of high performance
- Ability to operate autonomously or in close collaboration with other leaders, as needed
- Advanced-level spreadsheet skills (Google Sheets or Excel)
- We prioritize our incredible culture, and want you to be a cultural champion!
- Experience working with Sales Compensation a plus
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.