We partner with our various business units to drive strategic initiatives and set the future direction of NerdWallet.
San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
Director, Business Development (Lending)
NerdWallet is seeking a driven Business Development Director supporting our Lending vertical. This individual will have the unique opportunity to develop a key function of the business, generating growth while strengthening NerdWallet’s positioning and value proposition among financial service providers.
As the Business Development Director supporting the Lending vertical and working with various external partners, you will handle three BD teams: Personal Loans, Mortgage, and Student/Auto Loans. Reporting into the General Manager for Lending, you will guide your teams in the development of vertical specific partnership strategies while also working across Marketing, Traffic, and Product to generate and implement upon significant business growth opportunities. You will lead and participate in discussions and decisions that impact vertical trajectory, including vertical expansion and buy/build/partner opportunities.
Your direct reporting teams will be responsible for partner management, prospect identification, strategy development, and economics optimization, including opportunity sizing, pricing negotiation, and the case development to drive sustained revenue growth for each product vertical. In addition, as the most senior Business Development representative at NerdWallet, you will act as the BD Co-Op lead across all NerdWallet verticals, acting as mentor, coach, and glue for the BD function. This high profile role will coordinate cross-vertical functional deliverables and also have executive reporting accountability, including bi-weekly presentations to the executive leadership team and adhoc Board updates.
This is a dynamic, internal and external-facing role requiring executive presence, critical thinking, and a proven record of delivering innovative revenue growth. We are looking for a candidate that is capable of setting and delivering an entrepreneurial strategy, cultivating a strong team culture, developing and mentoring those around you, and operating nimbly in complexity and ambiguity. Our ideal candidate will have deep experience within the financial services affiliate space; bonus is experience within consumer loans.
Where you can make an impact:
- Inspire team direction and goals that will drive both immediate and long-term growth
- Gracefully eliminate roadblocks and prioritize the highest-impact opportunities
- Innovate on novel ways to deliver partner value in order to deepen relationships, establish driven differentiation, and achieve sustainable revenue growth
- Collaborate and coordinate across key internal and external customers to identify, socialize, and implement new business initiatives
- Cultivate a positive and results-oriented work environment that is motivating, rewarding, and fun for your team and your partners
- Strategic: Able to analyze and understand trends, predict future consequences and translate that into a compelling and inspired vision and action plan
- Strong people leader: Invest in the personal and professional growth of team members, prioritizing their needs before your own. You take responsibility for your own actions and team performance and courageously advocate for your team and business
- Results oriented and analytical: Able to identify and understand key business drivers, set significant goals, track progress, and hold self and team accountable for results
- Exceptional communicator and influencer: Able to craft unified messages across different audience types: partners, team, collaborators, and executives
- Entrepreneurial: You love working through ambiguous challenges and building new things, and are willing to take risks to redefine the norm
We recognize not everyone will meet all of the criteria. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 10+ years of experience in strategic and B2B partnership roles, with a demonstrated track-record of developing, cultivating, and successfully completing a strategy
- Experience working with or for other digital affiliates, online-based businesses, and/or consumer acquisition
- Success in leading teams and developing others
- Consistent record of delivering and exceeding business results
- Knowledgeable about consumer lending business models, products and strategies
- Intellectual curiosity and desire to become an authority
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
- The salary range for this role is $188,000-$354,000.
- Base pay offered may vary within the posted range based on several factors, including but not limited to education, job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.