We're building the data infrastructure and consumer applications that support our core business and developing products.
San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
Lead QA Engineer (Data)
NerdWallet is on a mission to provide the tools, information, and insight people need to navigate all of life's financial decisions. As a fast growing company, we are preparing for a future of tremendous growth and transformation. We are transforming our QA presence in Data Engineering to enable the company’s success by building a proven test automation framework. We are looking for a Lead QA Engineer with a solid background in Data and test automation frameworks to lead testing of large scale, high-performance data processing systems (batch and/or streaming) to drive Nerdwallet’s growth. You will have a combination of a strong QA Engineer background, and someone with an understanding and experience in Data Engineering processes.
Come join this team of highly motivated engineers as we build data orchestration pipelines, and help generate business insights, break data roadblocks, and answer challenges for this fast growing organization.
If you were here 6 months ago, here are some things you might have worked on:
- Building the foundation for a test automation framework for comparing and diffing various data sets for anomalies.
- Testing DAGs and ETL Pipelines across the raw, core and reporting layers. Testing migrations and backfills.
Where you can make an impact:
- Driving the data testing strategy and important data projects for NerdWallet including rebuilding a warehouse platform with a data model which empowers each team to manage their data.
- A self starter able to read documentation and requirements and understand how our environments are set up and how our systems work.
- Able to collaborate with various members of the DE organization and determine testing requirements.
- Able to guide other QA team members and lead the DE QA team.
- Someone with great communication skills and attention to detail.
We recognize not everyone will meet all of the criteria. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Skilled in understanding ETL Pipelines
- Advanced SQL Queries for building queries for testing various tables
- Testing Operational Metrics
- Experience with Snowflake, Airflow, Great Expectations
- Python programming skills
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
- The salary range for this role is $108,000 - $204,000.
- Base pay offered may vary within the posted range based on several factors, including but not limited to education, job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.