We help people lead richer lives by creating content that makes complex financial decisions easier to understand.
Lead Writer (Small Business Expert) - UK
Position: Lead Writer
Location: Norwich, UK or Remote (Candidates must be based in the UK)
Employment type: FTE
NerdWallet, a platform that provides financial guidance to consumers and small and medium enterprises (SMEs), is looking for a small business expert to be a lead writer in the UK. The candidate should be open to helping spread the word through various outreach channels (for example, article syndication, social media, TV, radio) about the insights, resources and tools we offer.
Successful candidates will translate complicated business topics into conversational articles that frame the answers our audience seeks with the context it deserves. They should also be able to proactively identify trends and news that will interest readers, as well as media that can link to and potentially syndicate our content.
If you were here 6 months ago, here are some initiatives you might have worked on:
- Writing foundational content for our SME audience
- Supporting the launch of our syndication process
- Responding to PR requests for expert commentary requests.
Where you can make an impact:
- Share expertise and timely/relevant ideas to support NerdWallet’s PR, social, syndication and media strategies.
- Write high-quality, rigorously fact-checked stories with a strong consumer-first orientation.
- Use your strong quantitative and analytical skills to find new insights and compelling stories from data.
- Represent the NerdWallet brand externally with accurate, on-point messaging in articles, over the phone, at events, and on radio, video and broadcasts.
- Show authority and leadership on timely, challenging and even controversial topics.
- Leverage insights from analytics to grow NerdWallet's readership and improve the user experience through new content and optimizations.
- Strengthen NerdWallet's approach to product reviews and comparisons.
- A strong communicator who can empathize with small business owners and help them navigate complex financial decisions.
- Adept at prioritization and balancing multiple projects at once.
- Resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle anything from story assignments to projects with minimal direction, and you consistently deliver polished work.
- Comfortable with change and a fast-paced environment.
- Passionate about self-improvement and at ease with constructive feedback.
- Eager to learn about new personal finance topics, develop relevant sources and communicate consumer-first advice.
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Experience writing about business for consumer-facing publications in the UK.
- Experience speaking conversationally through written and video content, speaking engagements and all forms of media interviews, about complex topics to help consumers and SMEs take action.
- Have worked or are willing to work with the Communications team on standard processes and training.
- Open to flexible scheduling because media interviews can happen outside the normal work day.
- Have a passion for helping small business owners make sound financial decisions
- This role will be based in Norwich, UK or remote (based in the UK).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What We Offer:
- Generous Pension: NerdWallet offers up to 6% matched pension contribution
- 25 days holiday per year
- Wellness stipend: NerdWallet gives every employee a monthly wellness stipend. It is yours to use however you’d like
- Career enrichment stipend: We value a growth mindset, and we never stop learning Each year, you will have funds to help you grow professionally in your role at NerdWallet
- Mental health support: We take mental health seriously. To offer you mental health support, NerdWallet partners with Ginger, a chat-based mental health app. You are able to use Ginger anytime, any place
- Legal support: NerdWallet offers access to online legal support through Rocket Lawyer
- Wifi stipend: NerdWallet gives every remote employee a monthly Wifi stipend
NerdWallet is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected characteristic: age; gender reassignment; being married or in a civil partnership; being pregnant or on maternity leave; disability; race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin; religion or belief; sex; or sexual orientation. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process.