We're building the data infrastructure and consumer applications that support our core business and developing products.
San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
Engineering Manager, Platform (Lending)
We are a moderately sized engineering organization supporting the lending business unit and its high-growth plans. We are looking for a highly ambitious Engineering Manager to join the Lending Engineering team to partner with, and be an active part of, our leadership on the technical direction of our Platform team.
If you are motivated by the opportunity to deliver value, in a fast paced environment while guiding a high energy team to deliver world class data consistency and quality, this is the role for you. Successful candidates will be able to share their experience building and mentoring accomplished engineering teams, being hands-on in code, helping guide architecture discussions, promoting extreme ownership of systems and outcomes, developing technical leaders, and empowering and up-leveling engineers.
We are an agile team practicing sprints and indexing on continuous improvement and delivery. As an Engineering Manager we will look to you to help bring up the quality of our deliveries and lead the team to be accountable for the quality and outcomes of their work.
Over the next 6 months, here are some things you might work on:
- Lending Partner Integrations
- Re-architecting our Lending Data Warehouse data structures and flows
- Reimagining our systems architecture to align team ownership to technological ownership
- Enhancing our decision tree systems design to align to business needs
- Implementing Machine Learning models from our ML Team into data flows your team owns
Where you can make an impact:
- Collaborate closely with stakeholders and senior leadership to deliver a platform that supports Lending products
- Manage engineers career paths and performance
- Manage the development cycles of multiple software projects concurrently
- Coordinate and guide architecture decisions across multiple teams.
- Be a role model showcasing what achieving a high level of technical excellence and stability looks like
- Maintain and improve operational excellence (monitoring, SLAs, post-mortems, etc.)
- A hands-on leader: You are an effective people manager that enjoys collaborating and mentoring
- Able to build and maintain effective partnerships. You will be working closely with developers, business development, data, and product groups to build features and high quality scalable products
- Capable of managing product roadmaps for your team by collaborating with your varied stakeholders
- High-energy, company first, and motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment
- 8+ years of experience within the software engineering industry including 1+ years managing engineers and 2+ years serving as a technical lead
- Experience engaging in knowledgable discussions about systems architecture, data flows, and data structures
- Experience in scrum and sprint processes
- Past coding experience on platform services or product focused teams
- Solid skills in Node, Typescript, and Postgres is preferred
- Experience in other backend technologies and RDBMS is acceptable so long as you can demonstrate your expertise in that technology and are open to learning Node, Typescript and Postgres
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
- The salary range for this role is $160,000-$294,000.
- Base pay offered may vary within the posted range based on several factors, including but not limited to education, job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.