We're building the data infrastructure and consumer applications that support our core business and developing products.
Engineering Manager, Platform (Lending)
We are a moderately sized engineering organization supporting the lending business unit and its high-growth plans. We are looking for a highly ambitious Engineering Manager to join the Lending Engineering team to partner with, and be an active part of, our leadership on the technical direction of our Platform team.
If you are motivated by the opportunity to deliver value, in a fast paced environment while guiding a high energy team to deliver world class data consistency and quality, this is the role for you. Successful candidates will be able to share their experience building and mentoring accomplished engineering teams, being hands-on in code, helping guide architecture discussions, promoting extreme ownership of systems and outcomes, developing technical leaders, and empowering and up-leveling engineers.
We are an agile team practicing sprints and indexing on continuous improvement and delivery. As an Engineering Manager we will look to you to help bring up the quality of our deliveries and lead the team to be accountable for the quality and outcomes of their work.
Over the next 6 months, here are some things you might work on:
- Lending Partner Integrations
- Re-architecting our Lending Data Warehouse data structures and flows
- Reimagining our systems architecture to align team ownership to technological ownership
- Enhancing our decision tree systems design to align to business needs
- Implementing Machine Learning models from our ML Team into data flows your team owns
Where you can make an impact:
- Collaborate closely with stakeholders and senior leadership to deliver a platform that supports Lending products
- Manage engineers career paths and performance
- Manage the development cycles of multiple software projects concurrently
- Coordinate and guide architecture decisions across multiple teams.
- Be a role model showcasing what achieving a high level of technical excellence and stability looks like
- Maintain and improve operational excellence (monitoring, SLAs, post-mortems, etc.)
- A hands-on leader: You are an effective people manager that enjoys collaborating and mentoring
- Able to build and maintain effective partnerships. You will be working closely with developers, business development, data, and product groups to build features and high quality scalable products
- Capable of managing product roadmaps for your team by collaborating with your varied stakeholders
- High-energy, company first, and motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment
- 8+ years of experience within the software engineering industry including 1+ years managing engineers and 2+ years serving as a technical lead
- Experience engaging in knowledgable discussions about systems architecture, data flows, and data structures
- Experience in scrum and sprint processes
- Past coding experience on platform services or product focused teams
- Solid skills in Node, Typescript, and Postgres is preferred
- Experience in other backend technologies and RDBMS is acceptable so long as you can demonstrate your expertise in that technology and are open to learning Node, Typescript and Postgres
- This is a remote position and a person can be located anywhere in Canada (with the exception of Quebec).
- NerdWallet is proud to be a remote-first company! We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Monthly Healthcare Stipend
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + You will receive the official public holidays in your province + Mental Health Days
- Pregnancy and Parental leave – NerdWallet will top up your pay so you receive 100% of your salary for 12 weeks for pregnancy leave and 12 weeks for parental leave
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend and Cell Phone Stipend
- WiFi stipend and work from home equipment stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours and team bonding across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- RRSP with a 4% match. Eligible one month after hire.