We're building the data infrastructure and consumer applications that support our core business and developing products.
San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
Senior Fullstack Engineer, Platform (Lending)
We are a moderately sized engineering organization supporting the lending business unit and its high-growth plans. We are looking for a highly motivated Senior Engineer to join the Lending Engineering team to partner with our leadership and our engineers to build out our Lending Platform.
If you enjoy writing code, delivering value, and being engaged all day in a fast paced environment, this is the role for you. You will write a lot of code in this position and subsequently, learn a lot. You will also work with our managers and principal engineer to inform and learn architecture and design. As a senior engineer we will look to you to help bring up the quality of our deliveries and help to engage the team in leading the quality and outcomes of their work.
We are an agile team practicing Sprints and indexing on continuous improvement and delivery.
Over the next 6 months, here are some things you might work on:
- Optimize consumer flows through our paid marketing funnels via changes to back end algorithms that drive loan selection criteria
- Integrating partner data for product data ingestion (loan types, loan metadata) into our local data storage
- Optimizing data storage, reporting, ETL and general data cleanliness within our lending platform data ecosystem in support of rampant democratization of our data within the lending team
- Instrumenting, alerting, and bringing clarity of our systems behavior into Data Dog
- Integrating to pull conversion and revenue data from lending partners, ensuring data accuracy within our reporting ecosystem and reliability so that our business has the information is needs to execute its strategy
Where you can make an impact:
- Driving relevant and real revenue for NerdWallet’s lending division
- Serving as a mentor to the less experienced engineers on the team
- Delivering large amounts of features to live in a high quality fashion, serving as an example of what good looks like to the team
- Owning moderately complex projects, ensuring they are coded well, and sufficiently operationalized with observability, supportability, and graceful failure designed into them
- Partnering with management to continuously inform the engineering roadmap for our team
- Biased to action and are happy to iterate along the way based on what we learn. You tend to believe that time to market is more significant than perfection
- Not afraid to fail. We take informed risks and chances, they often work, sometimes they don’t. You learn from those mistakes and incorporate them into how you think in the future
- Aware that “fast” and “quality” are not mutually exclusive. We can deliver high quality, well engineered code fast. You do not cut quality first to meet timelines, you often thoughtfully try to determine how to do both
- Interested in being a mentor and a teacher to make those around you better. We aren’t perfect, neither, are you. You believe that together we are more than the sum of our parts and you expect others to help you to grow and learn too
- Keenly aware of the cost of fetching data from various sources such as local browser, CDN, distributed cache, memory, and disk
- Highly knowledgeable in Data, Database design, tuning, and relational database technologies.
- Postgres and SQL Server specific knowledge is a plus
- Expertise in a backend language that will translate to success in NodeJS and Python
- Experience with ReactJS and TypeScript
- Familiarity with NodeJS
- Familiarity with Python
- 5+ years of professional experience in software engineering
- 3+ years of relational database experience
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Base pay offered may vary within the posted range based on several factors, including but not limited to education, job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location.The pay range for this role is$136,000—$252,000 USD