Writer (Personal Finance)
*Based in San Francisco or Remote*
NerdWallet is looking for a writer to cover the personal finance choices that millions of Americans grapple with every day. Successful candidates must be able to translate complex topics into conversational articles that frame the answers our audience seeks with the context it deserves.
Our content team is 70+ people strong and growing, with full-time writer openings on our insurance, loans and banking teams.
Writing compelling and significant stories would be only part of your job. Ultimately you would own a corner of the NerdWallet website with the goal of creating the internet’s best answers for the topics you cover.
You would spend a significant amount of time researching and refining the advice that NerdWallet provides, then dig even deeper into consumer pain points to figure out the best next steps. You would learn and use the best practices for search optimization to ensure that those who needed help could easily find it. You would find ways to measure your success and build on it.
A typical day could include not only writing but also gathering data for product ratings, building a case for a new coverage area, testing a calculator, editing a colleague’s work or pitching in on a presentation for the content team.
Please include links to four examples of your work in your application.
How you can make an impact:
- Write high-quality stories with a strong consumer-first orientation.
- Share expertise and timely/relevant ideas to support NerdWallet’s social, syndication and media strategies.
- Leverage insights from analytics to grow NerdWallet's readership and improve the user experience through new content and optimizations.
- Contribute ideas that strengthen NerdWallet's approach to product reviews and comparisons.
- Help shape NerdWallet's consumer experiences, including tools.
- A strong communicator who can empathize with consumers and help them navigate complex financial decisions.
- Excellent at prioritization and handling multiple projects at once.
- Resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle anything from story assignments to projects with minimal direction, and you consistently deliver polished work.
- Comfortable with change.
- Able to provide examples of how you've taken initiative and driven projects throughout your career.
- Passionate about self-improvement and at ease with constructive criticism.
- Someone who works with equal enthusiasm whether you’re a project leader or team member.
That's what it takes to thrive at NerdWallet, which has been helping consumers make smart financial decisions since 2009. Our content team includes writers and editors with experience at Bloomberg, Dow Jones, the Los Angeles Times, MSN, Reuters, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post. We also have staff writers who had spent years as successful freelancers or in fields outside journalism.
What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem solve effectively. We're adaptable. We're highly collaborative.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- 401(k) with company match
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their dependents
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Commuter, gym and cell phone stipend
- $500 enrichment stipend toward learning and development for your role
- Catered lunches daily and kitchens stocked full of snacks
- On-site coffee bar with baristas
- Company happy hours, social events and outings
- Generous, flexible vacation
- Remote: co-working space subsidy
- Remote: ergonomic desk, chair and/or keyboard subsidy
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.