Best Mortgage Lender for Refinancing
All reviewed mortgage lenders are evaluated against the criteria below. The lender with the highest raw score is our Best Mortgage Lender for Refinancing.
- 1. Must offer more than one mortgage refinance product.
- 2. Dedicates a meaningful portion of its business to refinance lending. (Definition is anything at the median percentage “50%” or above.)
- 3. Charges low origination fees on refinance mortgages. (Definition is anything “$1,859” or below.)
- 4. Demonstrates rate transparency for consumers.
- 5. Demonstrates an ease of online application for consumers.
- 1. Lender with the lowest origination fee.
NerdWallet reviewed nearly 60 mortgage lenders, including the majority of the largest U.S. mortgage lenders by annual loan volume (lenders had to have at least a 1% market share), lenders with significant online search volume and those that specialize in serving various audiences across the country. We rated them on criteria including rate transparency, loan types offered, ease of application and more.
How we picked the lenders to evaluate:
Some of the providers are NerdWallet partners, but this did not influence our selection of the winner.
The winner is the mortgage lender that had the highest raw score when evaluated against the following portions of NerdWallet's refinance mortgage lender star-rating rubric: offers more than one type of refinance (20%), dedicates at least 50% of its business to refinance lending (20%), has low origination fees (20%), demonstrates rate transparency for consumers (20%), and demonstrates an ease of online application for consumers (20%). In the event of a tie, the winner must charge the lowest fees.
How we chose the winner:
NerdWallet solicits information from reviewed lenders on a recurring basis throughout the year. All information is verified through lender websites and interviews. We also utilize 2020 HMDA data for origination volume, origination fee, rate spread and share-of-product data.