Plasterers’ Insurance Quote

  • Make sure you don’t leave any cracks in your business with plasterers’ insurance
  • Compare flexible policies to meet your needs with Simply Business
  • Get a quote in just 5 minutes
Get a quote

Powered by

Simply Business logo

Get a quote from leading insurers, including:

Hiscox Logo Axa Logo Zurich Logo AIG Logo Churchill Logo RSA Insurance Logo

Our panel of insurers settle at least 80% of claims within 24 hours.

How it works

Fill in a quick form
Just answer a few questions about your property to get the best quotes.
Compare quotes
Compare prices from the UK's leading insurers, and choose the cover that's right for you.
Relax and get covered
If the policy suits your needs, you can take it out and get covered in minutes.

What our Nerds say about plasterers’ insurance



It’s been said that you’ll never be out of work as a plasterer. Provided you do a good job and generate good word of mouth, there is simply no end of walls for you to work on.

However, you might find yourself out of work if an accident or injury saddles you with unaffordable legal or compensation costs, or if someone steals your van or equipment and you’re unable to afford replacements.

That’s why you should consider a solid plasterers’ insurance policy, which can cover some or all of the above, and more.

What is plasterers’ insurance?

Plasterers’ insurance is not one specific insurance policy but a package of insurance policies, which can provide financial protection for your business against accidents and injuries involving you, your employees, your clients, and members of the public. It can also compensate you for lost, damaged or stolen tools and equipment, or act as a safety net in the event that you are forced to stop work due to an incident outside your control.

Public liability insurance is usually the first layer of a plasterers’ insurance policy. It provides financial protection if a member of the public is injured or killed, or their property is damaged, lost or stolen, as a result of your business activities. For example, if a client tripped over your rendering machine or if your employee damaged several new tiles with their trowel.

Bear in mind that if you undertake any other project outside your plastering activities, you may need to take on additional public liability insurance to ensure you are fully covered – if you also offer painting or plumbing services, for example.

You could also protect yourself from the consequences of an injury with personal accident insurance, which can provide financial support if you’re unable to work, or to offer financial help to your beneficiaries in the event of your accidental death. Personal accident insurance could provide financial support to cover some lost income or medical costs, for instance, if you were to fall from a ladder and couldn't work for a few weeks.

After protecting yourself, members of the public and their property, your tools are among your most important assets, so you should consider whether you want to include tools insurance in your package. This can provide compensation if your tools are lost, damaged or stolen, whether on site or at your business premises. Some providers may offer separate cover for tools or equipment stored in a vehicle overnight – for this, you may need to add tools overnight cover.

Contract works insurance could be another product to consider. It provides support in situations where your plastering work is interrupted or even destroyed. For example, if a fire or flood were to delay completion of a job indefinitely or force you to restart work. Contract works insurance can provide financial compensation to help you get back on track.

You may want to take out legal expenses insurance, which not only helps protect against claims against you for property damage but also for disputes – for example, over tax or with employees.

Lastly, if you drive a van containing materials and equipment to your jobs, you’ll need to keep it safe with van insurance. Plasterers’ insurance providers don’t tend to offer this as standard, so it’s likely you’ll have to take out a separate business car or van insurance policy.

Do I need plasterers’ insurance?

If you employ anyone based in the UK and outside your immediate family, you are legally required to have employers’ liability insurance to protect you in the event that they are injured or their property is damaged while working for you. You can be fined up to £2,500 a day for not having employers’ liability insurance in place.

Other than that, there is no legal requirement for plasterers to have insurance but, as the costs of a legal claim against your business or of replacing equipment can be high, you should consider whether it’s worth taking out a comprehensive policy.

» MORE: Business liability insurance: Everything you need to know

What is usually included in plasterers’ insurance?

Plasterers’ insurance often includes:

  • public liability insurance
  • employers’ liability insurance
  • personal accident insurance
  • tools insurance
  • contract works insurance
  • legal expenses cover

What isn’t usually included in plasterers’ insurance?

If you offer other services, such as painting and decorating, carpentry, or plumbing, your plasterers’ insurance policy is unlikely to cover you for these activities. If so, you’ll likely require additional cover or a separate policy to ensure you are adequately protected.

Vehicle insurance is also usually not included in plasterer’s insurance packages, and so you will need to consider this. For example, if you drive a van for work or to transport tools and materials, you should consider van insurance to protect you against damage or theft.

How much does plasterers’ insurance cost?

The cost of your plasterer’s insurance policy will be decided by your specific circumstances and requirements.

For example, you may decide that the nature of your work and the level of risk you’re exposed to only requires a coverage limit of £1 million in public liability, and that you only need £1,000 cover for your tools. This is likely to be a cheaper monthly premium than it might cost a plasterer who needs £5 million in public liability and £5,000 in tool cover.

How to choose the best plasterers’ insurance policy for you

Once you’re clear on which products and the level of cover you will need, you’re ready to find your perfect plasterers’ insurance policy. You can use the tool on this page to generate a quote.

» COMPARE: Plasterers’ insurance

Plasterers’ insurance FAQs

What insurance does a plasterer need?

If you employ any staff in the UK who are not family members, you are legally required to have employer’s liability insurance of at least £5 million.

In addition to this, although not legally required, you may wish to consider an insurance policy that includes public liability, personal accident, tools and equipment, contract works, and van insurance depending on your specific business needs.

Do plasterers need public liability insurance?

Public liability insurance can be worth considering as part of your plasterer’s insurance policy as it provides financial protection in the event that your business activities cause injury, death, or damage to a third party's property, whether that third party is your client or not.

So, for example, if you knock over a bucket of plaster on to a client’s carpet, it can cover the cost of a replacement. Whilst you are not required to have this insurance. It can make sense for many people as the costs of a claim could be large and unaffordable if they were required to pay it themselves.

» MORE: Do you need business insurance?

What does employers’ liability cover?

Employers’ liability insurance provides financial cover if anyone you employ – whether another plasterer or otherwise – is injured, or if their property is damaged or lost as a result of working for you. Policies can cover the cost of compensation to employees, as well as the associated legal costs.

What car insurance do I need as a plasterer?

If you drive to work, along with materials and tools, the most suitable type of vehicle cover is likely to be business car insurance or van insurance. These can provide financial support in the event that your business vehicle is stolen or damaged.

About the author

Henry Williams
Henry is passionate about helping individuals and businesses stay informed. Over the last 8 years, he’s written for startup and small business sites, with a focus on finance, insurance, and websites. Read more
Get a quote

Powered by

Simply Business logo

How this service works

This insurance service is provided by Simply Business on behalf of NerdWallet Ltd.

The data you supply and submit is collected directly by Simply Business who are responsible for the handling and processing of that data.

By using their quote system you are agreeing to their terms and conditions and privacy policy which can be found here.

Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7NG.