Window Cleaning Insurance

  • Keep your mind as clear as your windows with window cleaning insurance
  • Compare flexible policies to meet your needs with Simply Business
  • Get a quote in just 5 minutes
Get a quote

Powered by

Simply Business logo

Get a quote from leading insurers, including:

Hiscox Logo Axa Logo Zurich Logo AIG Logo Churchill Logo RSA Insurance Logo

This panel of insurers settle at least 80% of claims within 24 hours.

How it works

Fill in a quick form
Just answer a few questions about your business to get the best quotes.
Compare quotes
Compare prices from the UK's leading insurers, and choose the cover that's right for you.
Relax and get covered
If the policy suits your needs, you can take it out and get covered in minutes.

What our Nerds say about window cleaning insurance



Whether you’re two storeys up a ladder or abseiling down the side of a high-rise armed with only a squeegee, the working life of a window cleaner can be a risky one.

But high risk doesn’t have to come at a high cost. While you can’t guarantee you won’t scratch a window or fall off a ladder, insurance can help make sure you’ll be financially covered for any disaster that comes your way.

A squeaky clean window cleaning insurance policy will likely include public and employers’ liability insurance, as well as specific cover for loss, damage, or theft of your tools and transport, and personal accident insurance to compensate you if an injury puts you out of action.

What is window cleaning insurance?

Window cleaning insurance is not one policy, but rather an umbrella term for a range of insurance policies that could cover you for incidents that occur while you’re working as a window cleaner, whether they involve you, a member of the public, or an employee. It can also compensate you if anything happens to your van or tools.

Two types of cover that will likely be included in your policy are public liability insurance and employers’ liability insurance. The former will cover your legal costs if a member of the public is injured or their property is damaged – by a falling ladder, for example – and the latter if an employee is injured – by falling off a ladder, for example. Legal expenses insurance can also be included to provide extra cover for ongoing legal costs. Employer’s liability insurance is also a legal requirement if you hire anyone outside of your family who does not work abroad.

You may consider adding tools insurance to your policy, which could provide compensation if your window cleaning tools are lost, damaged or stolen.

Lastly, don’t forget to protect your most valuable asset: yourself. Personal accident insurance will cover your medical costs and protect you from loss of income if you’re unable to work due to an injury.

» MORE: Everything you need to know about business liability insurance?

Do I need window cleaning insurance?

The only type of window cleaning insurance you’re legally required to have, if you have anybody working for you, is employers’ liability insurance. The exception is if your staff are family members or based abroad.

However, it’s worth considering taking out a fully comprehensive window cleaning insurance policy to better protect your business. If you’re not adequately protected, the costs of a claim against your business could be ruinous if you don’t have the funds to pay the costs yourself.

If you are working for someone else you should check to see whether your employer offers any sort of protection before shopping around for additional cover.

» MORE: What business insurance do you need?

What does window cleaning insurance cover?

Window cleaning insurance can include public liability insurance, which can cover legal costs and compensation in the event that you’re sued by a member of the public for an injury caused to them, or damage caused to their property.

If you employ anyone outside of your family, you legally need employer’s liability insurance, which can provide compensation if a member of staff is injured or has their possessions damaged.

Finally, you might consider personal accident cover, which can compensate you if you are unable to work, or tools insurance in case tools or equipment is stolen or damaged.

Many insurance providers allow you to customise your window cleaning insurance policy to ensure you cover, or don’t cover, the things that make most sense to your business.

What is usually included in window cleaning insurance?

Window cleaning insurance usually includes:

  • Public liability insurance
  • Employers’ liability insurance
  • Tools insurance

Of course, you may choose to include other policies. Personal accident cover and legal expense cover, for example, may also be important to you.

What isn’t usually included in window cleaning insurance?

The above types of cover should protect you for most any window cleaning-related disaster. However, if you have other trades or jobs - even if it’s other external cleaning work like drains, swimming pools, or driveways - you’ll likely need separate, specialist insurance for those activities.

Additionally, van insurance will usually need to be taken out as a separate policy to ensure your vehicle is financially protected.

How much does window cleaning insurance cost?

The cost of your window cleaning insurance policy will be decided by your unique circumstances, such as whether you do residential or commercial work (which will affect the level of risk you face and what equipment you use), how many employees you have, where you’re based, and your claims history.

Commercial window cleaning work is generally considered more risky – and therefore costly to insure – than residential work, as you’re more likely to be hanging off the side of a building using ropes and cables.

How to choose the best window cleaning insurance policy for you

Once you have all the above information about your business and its unique circumstances to hand, it’s time to find the perfect policy for your needs. You can use the tool at the top of the page to start comparing quotes today.

» COMPARE: Window cleaning insurance

Window cleaning insurance FAQs

What insurance does a window cleaner need?

In order to protect themselves as much as possible from the cost of claims, a window cleaner should consider public liability, personal accident, tools and equipment, and van insurance.

If you have any employees, you are legally obliged to take employers’ liability insurance, unless your staff are family members or based abroad.

Generally speaking, you will be best placed to say what sort of insurance you need. However, you may benefit from having cover where possible to avoid the effect of financial claims against you.

» COMPARE: Employers’ liability insurance

Should window cleaners be insured?

We’d strongly encourage all window cleaners to look into the merits of an adequate insurance policy. Whether you’re up ladders everyday, or suspended from the side of a tall building, window cleaning is a risky business. Insurance can be a good way to protect yourself.

Why is window cleaning insurance important?

Window cleaning insurance is something that is worth strongly considering because the legal costs of defending a claim against your business, and of replacing lost, stolen or damaged equipment or transportation can be ruinous.

Likewise, it can make you more attractive to potential clients. Knowing that you have the correct level of cover can provide confidence that you are responsible and professional.

Do you need a licence to do window cleaning?

This depends where in the UK you work. If you work in Scotland, yes, you need a licence from your local council in order to operate as a window cleaner. But in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, you don’t need a licence.

What car insurance should I have as a window cleaner?

As a window cleaner, you should get specialist cover for your window cleaning van. This insurance can be tailored to a vehicle with fitted water tanks and a reach and wash system, and will enable you to access a van with similar equipment if yours is out of action. This is unlikely to be covered by business insurance and will usually be provided as part of a car insurance policy.

About the author

Henry Williams
Henry is passionate about helping individuals and businesses stay informed. Over the last 8 years, he’s written for startup and small business sites, with a focus on finance, insurance, and websites. Read more
Get a quote

Powered by

Simply Business logo

How this service works

This insurance service is provided by Simply Business on behalf of NerdWallet Ltd.

The data you supply and submit is collected directly by Simply Business who are responsible for the handling and processing of that data.

By using their quote system you are agreeing to their terms and conditions and privacy policy which can be found here.

Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7NG.