Your credit score determines whether you’ll get approved for credit cards, loans, apartment rentals, and utility services, and it may even affect your chances of getting hired for certain jobs. It can mean the difference between a favorable or exorbitant interest rate, an affordable or sky high insurance rate.
That’s a lot of power wrapped up in a three-digit number — which is why it’s especially important to be as informed as possible about your credit score. Here are links to our most informative articles on credit score-related topics.
FICO score basics
- Understanding Your FICO Score: While there are several types of credit scores, the most popular is the FICO score. Issued by Fair Isaac Corp., the FICO score is the industry standard — it’s used by 90% of lenders.
- Which Credit Cards Give Free FICO Scores: This article provides an up-to-date list of creditors that make FICO scores available to consumers, free of charge.
- Have an Auto or Student Loan? You Might Be Able to Get Your FICO Score for Free: If you’ve taken out an auto or student loan, your lender might be able to give you access to your score.
How to build credit
- Building a Credit Score From Scratch — 5 Easy Steps: If you’re building your credit for the first time — or rebuilding a less-than-desirable credit history — use information about the factors that make up your credit to boost your score.
Credit cards for each score range
- What are the Different Credit Score Ranges? Bad to Excellent and Everything In Between
- NerdWallet’s credit card tool: You can search our more than 1,700 card options — and sort by categories including credit score range, card type and rewards — to find the best possible card for your needs.
If you credit score is in the bad to average credit range, there may be great credit card options for your particular circumstances.
- NerdWallet’s Best Credit Cards for Bad Credit
- NerdWallet’s Best Credit Cards for Fair or Average Credit
Everything else you need to know about credit
Still have questions about your credit score? Check out the Nerds’ building and rebuilding credit hub for our top articles on credit scoring and reporting. You’ll learn all about building and improving credit, understanding the ins and outs of your credit, and some great credit card options you may want to consider.