How to Change Your Address with Social Security

There are three ways to change your address with the Social Security Administration.
Profile photo of Davin Dearth
Written by Davin Dearth
Profile photo of Dalia Ramirez
Edited by Dalia Ramirez
Fact Checked

Many, or all, of the products featured on this page are from our advertising partners who compensate us when you take certain actions on our website or click to take an action on their website. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own. Here is a list of our partners and here's how we make money.

The investing information provided on this page is for educational purposes only. NerdWallet, Inc. does not offer advisory or brokerage services, nor does it recommend or advise investors to buy or sell particular stocks, securities or other investments.

There are three ways to change your address with the Social Security Administration (SSA), depending on your circumstances and the type of benefit you’re receiving.

If you’ve recently moved, it’s important to change your address with Social Security to prevent missed communications, delayed benefit payments or even suspended Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. If you’re on SSI benefits, you’ll need to change your address within 10 days after the month of your move to avoid penalties.

Easiest option: Update your address online

Best for: People who are already receiving Social Security benefits, like retirement, disability, or survivor payments, or who are enrolled in Medicare

Social Security Administration. Frequently Asked Questions. Accessed Oct 3, 2023.

How long it takes: A few minutes.


  1. Log in to your my Social Security account and select the “My Profile” tab.

  2. Select “Contact” and enter your new address.

  3. Choose whether you want the address change to take effect immediately or at a later date, then click “Continue.” 

  4. Review and verify the new information, then click “Submit”

    Social Security Administration. Change your Address and Telephone number online. Accessed Oct 3, 2023.

Alternative option: Update your address by phone

Best for: People who are either receiving SSI benefits or who don't have a U.S. mailing address, as well as anyone else who’s unable to update their address online.

How long it takes: On average, you could spend 37.8 minutes on hold until your call is answered, according to the most recently published data from the SSA in July



  1. Call 800-772-1213 (TTY 800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time.

  2. Tell the Social Security representative that you want to update your contact information.

  3. To avoid waiting longer than necessary, Social Security advises callers to call earlier in the morning (between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. local time), or later in the afternoon (between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. local time). They also advise calling later in the week (Wednesday to Friday), as well as later in the month. 

If the other options don’t work: Update your address in person

Best for: Those with discrepancies in their Social Security record that prevent the SSA from identifying you over the phone. For example, in situations where the place of birth on your birth certificate doesn’t match the place of birth that Social Security has listed, or your mother’s maiden name is different from what is listed on your Social Security record.

How long it takes: Depends on where you live and when you plan to visit. You may be able to schedule an appointment to save waiting time at your local office. According to the acting Social Security commissioner, “offices tend to be the busiest first thing in the morning, early in the week, and during the early part of the month”



  1. Check online to ensure that you are visiting during the most up-to-date in-person hours. Currently, Social Security office hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, and 9 a.m. to noon on Wednesdays. 

  2. Check in at the Social Security office. If you don’t already have a scheduled appointment, you’ll be given a visitor number.

  3. Meet with a Social Security representative, who will verify your identity and make the necessary changes to the address on your Social Security record.

Frequently asked questions

No. If you don't receive Social Security benefits, SSI, or Medicare, you don’t need to change your address with the agency.

Medicare works with Social Security to maintain your records, so you’ll need to contact SSA directly to update your Medicare information, even if you don’t receive Social Security benefits.

You don’t need to change your address for your Social Security card. You only need to inform SSA about a change in address if you’re receiving monthly benefits.

Get more smart money moves – straight to your inbox
Sign up and we’ll send you Nerdy articles about the money topics that matter most to you along with other ways to help you get more from your money.
Nerdwallet advisors logo

Get a custom financial plan and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner™ for just $30/month.

    NerdWallet Advisory LLC