It’s hard to predict who will offer cheap car insurance in Hawaii. Prices for the same coverage options can look very different depending on the company, which is why it’s important to compare several quotes and not settle for the first estimate you get.
NerdWallet has done the heavy lifting for you. We researched rates from the seven largest insurers in the state and found the cheapest options for several driver types.
» FIND YOUR MATCH: Who’s the cheapest carrier for you?
Cheapest for good drivers
Geico was the cheapest carrier we found in Hawaii for good drivers with good credit, at $66 per month, on average. State Farm and Allstate round out the cheapest three for 2019.
For this calculation, NerdWallet averaged rates for 40-year-old men and women with a clean driving record. With the exception of age, a large portion of drivers are closest to this profile, which carries standard “full coverage” insurance, including state-required coverage.
Cheapest for drivers with one at-fault crash
For drivers with a recent on-record accident in Hawaii, Geico had the cheapest prices in our analysis, at $82 per month, on average. State Farm and Liberty Mutual were second- and third-cheapest, respectively.
Cheapest for low-mileage drivers
Geico had the lowest average rates we found for Hawaiians who drive few annual miles, at $53 per month. State Farm and Allstate also make the cut.
Cheapest for minimum coverage
Geico was the cheapest carrier we found for minimum coverage car insurance in Hawaii, with an average rate of $23 per month. State Farm and Liberty Mutual also make the list, with average rates of $10 and $20 per month more than Geico.
Cheap for military families
- Available only to active military members, veterans and their families.
If you’re an active military member or a veteran — or have an immediate family member who is — USAA is a good bet for finding cheap car insurance in Hawaii. The company is not available to the general public, so we don’t rank it against the others, but it offered one of the cheapest average prices in every category listed above.
Minimum required auto insurance in Hawaii
Hawaii is a no-fault state. Hawaii car insurance policies must include at least liability insurance and personal injury protection, or PIP, in the following amounts:
- $20,000 bodily injury liability per person.
- $40,000 bodily injury liability per crash.
- $10,000 property damage liability per crash.
- $10,000 PIP.
While this will be enough to drive legally, you may want more insurance to fully cover the costs of a crash. For instance, if you total another person’s vehicle, the property damage could easily exceed the $10,000 minimum limit listed above. Any damage above your coverage limit would have to come out of your pocket.
Check out NerdWallet’s guide to car insurance requirements by state for help in understanding your policy and selecting coverage limits.
For more help in getting cheap car insurance in Hawaii, try NerdWallet’s car insurance comparison tool. If you’re having a hard time finding coverage due to a spotty driving record, call the Hawaii Joint Underwriters Program at (808) 586-2790.
Here’s a summary of where you’ll find the cheapest insurance, by category:
Cheapest car insurance in Hawaii
|Drivers with one at-fault crash||Geico|
|Cheap for military families||USAA|
- $100,000 bodily injury liability coverage per person.
- $300,000 bodily injury liability coverage per crash.
- $50,000 property damage liability coverage per crash.
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage per person.
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage per crash.
- $10,000 personal injury protection.
- Collision coverage with $1,000 deductible.
- Comprehensive coverage with $1,000 deductible.
We used the same assumptions for all other driver profiles, with the following exceptions:
- For drivers with poor credit, we adjusted the credit tier from “good” to “poor.”
- For drivers with one at-fault crash, we added a single at-fault crash.
- For low-mileage drivers, we adjusted the miles driven from 12,000 per year to 5,000.
- For drivers with minimum coverage, we adjusted the numbers above to reflect minimum required coverage by law in the state.
We used a 2015 Toyota Camry in all cases. These are rates generated through Quadrant Information Services. Your own rates will be different.