If you’re shopping for an Android-based smartphone this season, keep an eye out for major discounts on Samsung’s Galaxy S series of smartphones. The high-end devices are among the most popular phones on the market, featuring powerful performance and elegant design.
This Black Friday and Cyber Monday, you’ll find a range of markdowns on the Galaxy S4 and S5 phones, especially if you sign up for a two-year contract with a qualifying service provider.
Released in 2013, the Galaxy S4 followed the S3 to become one of Samsung’s most popular smartphones. Running on an Android 4.2.2 operating system, the phone is equipped with a rear and front camera, and the 5-inch display offers a high-definition resolution of 1920 by 1080 pixels. With the use of a microSD card, the device’s internal memory of 16 or 32GB can be expanded up to 64GB.
Retail price: $599.99 (unlocked)
Black Friday offers:
- Amazon: $355 (unlocked, white): $0.01-$499.99 (with contract, varies by location)
- H-E-B plus!: free (with 2-year activation or upgrade)
- Walmart: 97 cents (with 2-year contract), $249 prepaid (on Straight Talk Wireless)
Head to H-E-B plus! to get the S4 for nothing, provided you sign up for a 2-year contract or upgrade your phone. At Walmart, you can get the phone for only 97 cents more, or opt for Straight Talk Wireless for $249 ($200 off the original price).
The latest model in the S series, this high-end smartphone offers improvements over its predecessor.
With a slightly larger screen, more powerful processor and larger camera, the S5 delivers a stronger performance when it comes to taking photos, browsing the Internet and recording or watching video.
Retail price: $799.99 (unlocked)
Black Friday offers:
- Amazon: $1 (with AT&T, Verizon or Sprint contract), $529.45 (unlocked, white), $528.99 (unlocked, black)
- Best Buy: $1 (with 2-year activation)
- eBay (Thanksgiving sale): $449.99 (G900 4G, 4 colors)
- GameStop: starting at $449.99 (pre-owned)
- H-E-B plus!: $49 (with 2-year activation or upgrade)
- RadioShack: free (with qualifying 2-year plan), $499.99 (no annual contract)
- Target: 1 cent (with 2-year Verizon, Sprint or AT&T plan; available from 9 p.m.)
- T-Mobile: $0 upfront ($150 off)
- Verizon: free (with 2-year activation; requires $50 mail-in rebate)
- Walmart: $99 (with 2-year contract)
RadioShack and Verizon are your best bets for the Galaxy S5 this year. The electronics retailer and wireless carrier are both offering the phone for free with a qualifying 2-year activation. For only a penny more, you can find the phone at Target starting at 9 p.m., provided you sign up for a qualifying 2-year plan from Verizon, Sprint or AT&T. If you’re looking to get the S5 without a contract, try GameStop for a pre-owned phone at $449.99, or eBay for the same price.
Galaxy S Accessories
Want to protect your phone or style it up a little? Pick up cases for the S4 and S5 at a discount. You’ll find markdowns starting at 50% during the following Black Friday promotions:
- Best Buy: Select Samsung tablet and mobile phone covers: 50% off
- RadioShack: Holiday cases for Galaxy S4 and S5: 2 for $5 (regularly $4.99)
- Walmart: Speck case (for Galaxy S3, S4 or S5): $10 ($19.88 off)
You don’t have to spend much to dress up your phone this season. Whether you’re going for a holiday aesthetic or a year-round look, you’ll find a range of styles from $2.50 to $10, with the lowest prices available at RadioShack.
Read more from NerdWallet:
Written by Melinda Szell
Galaxy S sign image via Shutterstock