Best Balance Transfer Credit Card
NerdWallet reviewed about 30 cards that had a 0% intro APR period on balance transfers. To be considered, a card had to be widely available and include a 0% APR period for transfers of at least 18 months. The cards we reviewed include products from NerdWallet partners, but this did not influence our selection of the winner.
How we picked the cards to evaluate:
When choosing our best balance transfer credit card, we considered the following factors in descending order of importance:
How we chose the winner:
- Introductory APR periods (length).
- Annual fees.
- Balance transfer fees.
- Whether the card has lasting value beyond the intro APR period (such as rewards or a low ongoing rate).
- Ongoing APR after the promotional period.
Cards' NerdWallet star ratings alone do not determine awards. Here's how our credit cards team distinguishes between star ratings and award selections:
- Star ratings are quantitative: We assess the features of a card, score those features according to how they compare with other options on the market and assign the card a rating of 1 to 5 stars based on those features. In general, a card that rates 4.5 stars will be a better value for more people than a card that rates 4.0 stars. However, the 4.0 card might be better than the 4.5 card for an individual consumer depending on that person’s circumstances.
- Selection for awards is both quantitative and qualitative: Selection for the awards is based on discussion among editorial team members and relies on the same criteria used for the star ratings. However, star ratings alone do not dictate awards. Rather, the awards identify the best cards for specific uses or specific types of consumers, such as those looking to finance a major purchase interest-free or pay down existing debt without interest.
NerdWallet gets credit card information from partner issuers through automated data feeds. Information about cards from nonpartner issuers is verified on the issuers’ websites.