Best Credit Card for Travel Perks
How we picked the cards to evaluate:
NerdWallet reviewed more than 60 travel cards. To be considered, a card had to be widely available and offer the following:
- Recurring automatic credits against certain travel-related spending.
- Airport lounge access or elite status in travel loyalty programs.
- Flexible redemption options, including point-transfer partners.
- An overall rewards rate in excess of 1%. For this category, that means a base rate of 1%, with one or more bonus categories at rates of 2% or more.
- A sign-up bonus.
The cards we reviewed include products from NerdWallet partners, but this did not influence our selection of the winner.
How we chose the winner:
When choosing our best credit card for travel perks, we considered the following factors in descending order of importance:
- Cardholder perks, above.
- Annual fees.
- The categories that earn elevated rewards rates.
- How much spending qualifies for those elevated rates.
- Domestic and international acceptance.
In the case of cards with annual fees, we looked at how much spending or travel would be necessary before a consumer would come out ahead — in rewards or perks — compared with no-fee options.
Cards' NerdWallet star ratings alone do not determine awards. Here's how our credit cards team distinguishes between star ratings and award selections:
- Star ratings are quantitative: We assess the features of a card, score those features according to how they compare with other options on the market and assign the card a rating of 1 to 5 stars based on those features. In general, a card that rates 4.5 stars will be a better value for more people than a card that rates 4.0 stars. However, the 4.0 card might be better than the 4.5 card for an individual consumer depending on that person’s circumstances.
- Selection for awards is both quantitative and qualitative: Selection for the awards is based on discussion among editorial team members and relies on the same criteria used for the star ratings. However, star ratings alone do not dictate awards. Rather, the awards identify the best cards for specific uses or specific types of consumers, such as travelers who value comfort or luxury.
How we verified our data:
NerdWallet gets credit card information from partner issuers through automated data feeds. Information about cards from nonpartner issuers is verified on the issuers’ websites.