Best Broker for IRA Investing
How we picked the companies to evaluate:
NerdWallet reviewed 17 online brokerages, a mix of established firms with the greatest market share and younger companies. Some of these are NerdWallet partners; some are not.
How we chose the winner:
NerdWallet evaluated each provider across the weighted criteria below to determine the winner for IRA investing:
- Number of no-transaction-fee mutual funds (20%).
- Number of commission-free ETFs (20%).
- Number of low-expense-ratio funds (20%).
- Number of low-minimum mutual/index funds (20%).
- Stock trading commissions (10%).
- Account fees (annual, transfer, closing, inactivity) (10%).
How we verified our data:
NerdWallet writers sent detailed questions to all reviewed companies. NerdWallet writers and editors also confirmed fees, rates, policies and other key features on each company's website.