Best Online Broker for IRA Investing
NerdWallet reviewed 17 online brokerages that offer self-directed accounts. These brokerages constitute the majority of that market based on their assets under management. Some of the providers are NerdWallet partners, but this did not influence our selection of the winner.
How we picked the companies to evaluate:
NerdWallet evaluated each provider across the weighted criteria below to determine the winner for IRA investing:
How we chose the winner:
- Number of no-transaction-fee mutual funds (20%).
- Number of commission-free ETFs (20%).
- Number of low-expense-ratio funds (20%).
- Number of low-minimum mutual/index funds (20%).
- Stock trading commissions (10%).
- Low or no account fees (annual, transfer, closing, inactivity) (10%).
NerdWallet writers sent detailed questions to all reviewed companies. NerdWallet writers and editors also confirmed fees, rates, policies and other key features on each company's website.