Best Mortgage Lender for VA Loans
All reviewed mortgage lenders are evaluated against the criteria below. The lender with the highest raw score is our Best Mortgage Lender for VA Loans.
- 1. Offers a variety of VA purchase and refinance loans.
- 2. Dedicates a meaningful portion of its business to VA lending. (Lenders are scored from 1-5 with > 32% representing the best score.)
- 3. Charges low VA origination fees. (Lenders are scored from 1-5 with < $502 representing the best score.)
- 4. Demonstrates rate transparency for consumers.
- 5. Demonstrates an ease of online application for consumers.
- 1. Lender with the lowest origination fees.
NerdWallet reviewed more than 50 mortgage lenders, including the majority of the largest U.S. mortgage lenders by annual loan volume (measured among lenders with at least a 1% market share), lenders with significant online search volume and those that specialize in serving various audiences across the country. We rated them on criteria including rate transparency, loan types offered, ease of application and more.
How we picked the lenders to evaluate:
Some of the providers are NerdWallet partners, but this did not influence our selection of the winner.
The winner is the mortgage lender that had the highest raw score when evaluated against NerdWallet's VA mortgage lender star-rating rubric: offers a variety of VA purchase and refinance loans (33.2%), dedicates a meaningful portion of its business to VA lending (16.6%), has low origination fees (16.6%), demonstrates rate transparency for consumers (16.6%) and demonstrates an ease of online application for consumers (16.6%). In the event of a tie, the winner must charge the lowest fees.
How we chose the winner:
NerdWallet solicits information from reviewed lenders on a recurring basis throughout the year. All lender-provided information is verified through lender websites and interviews. We also utilized 2021 Home Mortgage Disclosure Act, or HMDA, data for origination volume, origination fee, interest rate and share-of-product data.