Best Student Loan Refinancing Overall
NerdWallet reviewed 29 banks, credit unions and online lenders offering student loans and student loan refinancing. We included the top 10 lenders by market share and the top 10 lenders by online search volume, as well as lenders that serve specialty or nontraditional markets.
How we picked the student loans to evaluate:
Some lenders are NerdWallet partners, but this did not influence our selection of the winner.
NerdWallet scored lenders that offer a student loan refinancing product for the presence of 41 features across multiple categories. Categories were scored and weighted as follows:
How we chose the winner:
- Features that enable faster repayment, such as availability of extra payments or biweekly payments via autopay — 15%.
- Disclosure of rates, fees and underwriting requirements, such as minimum credit scores and income standards — 20%.
- Availability to a wide range of borrowers, such as part-time and independent students — 20%.
- Flexible payment options, such as grace periods and available forbearance that are longer than standard — 25%.
- Customer support, such as a detailed website FAQ and in-house customer service — 20%.
After those calculations, the financial institution(s) with the most points that are also widely available are selected as the winner(s).
NerdWallet writers and editors sent a comprehensive list of more than 90 questions to all lenders we reviewed. We cross-checked fees, rates, policies and other key features on each financial institution’s website. If a lender’s website was missing information, we contacted a representative directly for confirmation.