Best Tax Software for Ease of Use
NerdWallet reviewed the online packages from the four tax-software companies with the greatest market share and market presence, the latter measured by how heavily the companies are searched for on the internet. Some of the providers are NerdWallet partners, but this did not influence our selection of the winner.
How we picked the companies to evaluate:
NerdWallet evaluated each company's tax-software packages across the following criteria, listed in descending order of importance:
How we chose the winner:
- Interview process and visual design.
- Extensiveness of help and educational options displayed throughout the filing process.
- Tracking and ability to skip around.
- Ability to import forms such as W-2s and prior returns via photo or automated means.
- Refund calculation tracker.
- Donation deduction calculator and tools.
- How many prior years' returns it stores.
- Mobile version's app store ratings.
Each company's packages are scored individually and then combined for an overall company score to determine which offers the best tax software for ease of use.
NerdWallet writers sent detailed questions to all reviewed companies. NerdWallet writers and editors also confirmed fees, rates, policies and other key features on each company's website.