Can a Passport Use Your Maiden Name?

If your legal name no longer matches the name on your passport, you'll need documentation of the change to travel internationally.
Carissa Rawson
By Carissa Rawson 
Edited by Meghan Coyle

Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This influences which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own. Here is a list of our partners and here's how we make money.


If you’ve gotten married, had a divorce or otherwise chosen to change your name, there can be a lot of paperwork, especially if you have government identification such as a passport.

But what do you do if your maiden name is on a passport? It’s still possible to travel if your name doesn’t match your ID, but there’s some extra steps involved.

Let’s check out how it works, what you’ll need to bring and how to change your passport.

Using your maiden name on a passport

Traveling with a maiden name on a passport can be done, but you’ll need to bring paperwork proving that you’ve had your name legally changed.

Paperwork required if your passport has a maiden name

According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, citizens or permanent residents who’ve had their names changed can use their previously issued passports.

In order to travel with it, you'll need to bring proof of your name progression. This can include paperwork such as:

  • A marriage certificate.

  • A divorce decree.

  • Court documents showing your legal name change. 

This means that using a passport with a maiden name after marriage is still a viable option — which is good news as the time to process a passport renewal can take as long as 13 weeks.

Changing the name on your passport

Tired of dragging along your marriage certificate whenever you leave the country? There are two ways that you can change the information on your passport so that it reflects your current name.

For recently issued passports

If you received your passport less than one year ago, you can use form DS-5504 to request a correction of your information. There are three instances in which travelers are eligible to use a DS-5504:

  • You changed your name by marriage or court order less than one year after your most recent U.S. passport was issued.

  • The identifying information in your passport was printed incorrectly.

  • You paid full price for your passport and its duration was limited to two years or less (for reasons other than serious damage or losses of your previous passports).

It’s free to get a new passport using form DS-5504, but be aware that you’ll need to attach proof of your name change.

🤓Nerdy Tip

If you have international travel within 14 days and need a new passport, it’s possible to make an appointment at a U.S. passport agency.

For passports issued more than a year ago

If your passport is more than a year old when you change your name, you’ll have to complete a renewal rather than a correction of information. This is done via form DS-82, though there are certain requirements you’ll need to meet to be eligible.

Renewals using DS-82 are done by mail, and your current passport must meet these criteria:

  • You submit it with your application.

  • The passport is undamaged other than normal wear and tear.

  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older.

  • Was issued within the last 15 years.

  • Has your current name — or you can document your name change with your paperwork.

If your passport doesn’t meet these requirements, you’ll have to apply for a new passport in person using form DS-11.

Traveling without a passport

Don’t have proof of your name change or don’t want to travel with a passport in your maiden name? It’s still possible to travel internationally, even without a passport.

Here are a couple of different options from which to choose.

Closed-loop cruises

Have you ever traveled on a cruise? Depending on where you’re going, you may be able to enjoy your journey without the need for a passport.

Closed-loop cruises begin and end at the same U.S. port, which means that U.S. citizens need only bring their birth certificates and a government-issued photo ID to board. One example is certain Alaska cruises.

Land or sea border crossings

Curious about other ways you can travel with your maiden name on a passport? U.S. citizens entering the United States by a land or sea border crossing don’t need a passport. Instead, they’ll simply need an eligible form of ID. This includes:

  • U.S. passport card.

  • Enhanced driver’s license.

  • Enhanced tribal card.

  • Trusted Traveler card (Global Entry, SENTRI, Nexus or FAST).

  • Military ID card. 

These rules apply to land crossings between the United States, Mexico and Canada, so don’t feel like you need to miss out on the tacos just because you don’t have a valid passport.

Note, however, that you will need your passport if you intend to travel by air to any other country — even Canada and Mexico.

Traveling with a maiden name on passport recapped

If you’ve changed your name but don’t have proof, you’ll need to renew your passport in person before traveling.

And even if neither of these options is viable for you, it’s still possible to travel internationally without a passport at all — just be sure to bring along that birth certificate and an ID on eligible trips.

How to maximize your rewards

You want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2024, including those best for:

Travel Cards from Our Partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card

on Chase's website

Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
NerdWallet Rating
Rewards rate


5x on travel purchased through Chase Travel℠, 3x on dining, select streaming services and online groceries, 2x on all other travel purchases, 1x on all other purchases.


Intro offer


Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Travel℠.

Chase Freedom Unlimited Credit Card

on Chase's website

Chase Freedom Unlimited®
NerdWallet Rating
Rewards rate


Enjoy 6.5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Travel; 4.5% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and 3% on all other purchases (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year). After your first year or $20,000 spent, enjoy 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Travel, 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and unlimited 1.5% cash back on all other purchases.


Intro offer


Earn an additional 1.5% cash back on everything you buy (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year) - worth up to $300 cash back!

Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card

on Capital One's website

Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
NerdWallet Rating
Rewards rate


Earn unlimited 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Earn 5X miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel, where you'll get Capital One's best prices on thousands of trip options.


Intro offer


Enjoy a one-time bonus of 75,000 miles once you spend $4,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $750 in travel.

See more travel cards
Get more smart money moves – straight to your inbox
Sign up and we’ll send you Nerdy articles about the money topics that matter most to you along with other ways to help you get more from your money.