See auto insurance options from Geico, plus consumer complaints and satisfaction ratings, in this 2020 review.
Geico reviews and ratings
- Complaints against Geico are lower than expected for a company of its size.
- Customer satisfaction ratings are average or better.
- Website and mobile app have a wide array of features that tech-savvy customers may appreciate.
Geico is the nation’s second-largest auto insurance company, known primarily for low rates offered directly to consumers online and over the phone. If you’re looking for an affordable car insurance policy and you’re comfortable managing your own accounts online when an agent isn’t nearby, Geico might be right for you.
Geico auto insurance
Geico auto insurance earned 5 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account a number of details including pricing, discounts and ease of filing a claim. Other factors analyzed include website transparency, financial strength and complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Based on these star ratings, Geico is among NerdWallet’s Best Car Insurance Companies for 2020.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
In addition to typical car insurance coverage choices, Geico offers:
- Mechanical breakdown coverage. This covers repairs to all mechanical parts of a new car, less than 15 months old and with less than 15,000 miles, except problems caused by wear and tear. There’s a $250 deductible. Mechanical breakdown coverage is renewable for up to seven years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, and does not pay for regular maintenance such as tuneups.
- Ridesharing insurance. If you drive for a rideshare company such as Uber or Lyft, or a delivery service like Instacart or GrubHub, this option allows you to have one policy that covers both personal and ridesharing use. You can replace your existing auto policy with this hybrid insurance on the ridesharing vehicle only. Geico’s ridesharing insurance is available in 40 states and the District of Columbia.
Geico’s auto insurance discounts:
Geico has a long list of car insurance discounts, so there’s a good chance you can find a price break that applies to you. Although details vary by state, you may be eligible for discounts for:
- Having safety equipment like air bags, anti-lock brakes, daytime running lights or an anti-theft system.
- Driving for five years with no accidents.
- Using seat belts.
- Completing a defensive driving course, or driver’s education for a young driver.
- Having good grades, if you or someone on your policy is a full-time student 16 to 24 years old.
- Participating in an emergency deployment with the U.S. military.
- Being an active or retired military service member or a member of the National Guard or Reserves.
- Being an active or retired federal employee.
- Insuring more than one vehicle with Geico.
- Buying a homeowners, renters, condo or mobile home policy through Geico.
- Being a member of organizations such as alumni associations or sports groups.
If you live in Pennsylvania, Geico also may offer you a discount for tracking your driving through your phone. The DriveEasy app measures habits like speeding, hard braking and using your phone while driving. For the price break to apply, all the drivers listed on your policy must participate.
Geico complaints and customer satisfaction
Geico had a fewer-than-expected amount of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for auto insurance, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
In J.D. Power studies of customer satisfaction, Geico rates average or better.
|2019 J.D. Power study||Geico ranks...|
|Auto insurance shopping||About average|
|Auto insurance claims satisfaction||Better than most|
More about Geico
Website: You can learn about and get a quote for almost any type of insurance through Geico’s website, and submit a claim or make a payment. The site also has a feature to help you find the nearest cheap gas station.
Mobile app: Geico’s mobile offering helps you keep track of your policy and billing details, access your digital auto insurance ID card, pay bills and submit claims. You can also use the app to chat by text with an agent, request roadside assistance, find parking and track your car’s maintenance history.
Voice assistance: Geico’s virtual assistant Kate is a feature of its existing app for iOS and Android users that can answer your insurance questions and provide specific policy information. Your Geico account is also accessible through Amazon’s Alexa and Google Assistant.
Geico’s phone number is 800-207-7847.
Other insurance from Geico
- Motorcycle insurance.
- Insurance for all-terrain vehicles.
- Recreational vehicle insurance.
- Commercial auto insurance.
- Umbrella insurance.
Geico offers other insurance products, such as home insurance, through partner companies. When you buy a policy from one of these third parties through Geico, the company offers discounts on its car insurance — but you’ll still have to deal with multiple insurers.
» MORE: Geico renters insurance review
Recap: Geico pros and cons
|Low complaints and above-average customer satisfaction with auto insurance claims.||Some coverage types available only through partners.|
|Robust website and mobile app.||Doesn’t offer gap insurance.|
|Many discounts available.||Limited network of local agents.|