If you’re looking for the cheapest car insurance in New York, it pays to shop around. Rates for the same coverage can vary widely from company to company, meaning you may lose out on a great deal by settling for the first quote you get.
To make your shopping easier, NerdWallet researched rates from the eight largest auto insurers in New York to find the most affordable options for a variety of driver types.
Cheapest for good drivers
In New York, Travelers offered the best car insurance rate for good drivers in our analysis, with an average price of around $149 per month. Geico and Progressive were the next-cheapest options, respectively.
Cheapest for drivers with poor credit
Geico had the cheapest average rates for drivers with poor credit in New York, at roughly $284 a month, followed by Travelers and New York Central Mutual.
|New York Central Mutual||$4,525/year ($377/month)|
Cheapest for drivers with one at-fault crash
In New York, Travelers had the cheapest car insurance rate for drivers with one recent at-fault crash on their driving records, at $149 per month. New York Central Mutual and Liberty Mutual were next-cheapest, each at $272 per month.
|New York Central Mutual||$3,262/year ($272/month)|
|Liberty mutual||$3,266/year ($272/month)|
Cheapest for low-mileage drivers
The cheapest New York car insurance quote we found for low-mileage drivers was from Travelers, at roughly $149 a month. Geico and Liberty Mutual were the next-cheapest options.
|Liberty Mutual||$2,238/year ($187/month)|
Cheapest for minimum coverage in New York
New York Central Mutual returned the cheapest average rates for minimum coverage insurance in New York, at roughly $86 a month, followed closely by Geico and Travelers.
|New York Central Mutual||$1,037/year ($86/month)|
Minimum auto insurance limits required in New York
New York auto insurance laws require car owners to carry liability insurance, personal injury protection (PIP) and uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage (UMBI).
The minimum coverage limits in New York are:
- $25,000 bodily injury liability per person.
- $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident.
- $10,000 property damage liability per accident.
- $50,000 PIP.
- $25,000 UMBI per person.
- $50,000 UMBI per accident.
For the best financial protection, consider buying more than the bare minimum coverage. Any costs that surpass your coverage limits would have to come out of your own pocket, so with these minimums, a serious accident could easily leave you owing more than, say, $10,000 to repair another driver’s car.
Alternative car insurance in New York
If car insurance companies are declining to offer you coverage due to DUIs, crashes or other factors, you could qualify for car insurance through the New York Automobile Insurance Plan (NYAIP).
NerdWallet’s comparison tool lets you view New York car insurance rates from top companies side by side and possibly trim hundreds off your premium.
Cheapest car insurance in New York
|Drivers with poor credit||Geico|
|Drivers with one at-fault crash||Travelers|
|Minimum required coverage||New York Central Mutual|
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person.
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident.
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident.
- $50,000 liability for death per person.
- $100,000 liability for death per accident.
- $100,000 uninsured motorist coverage per person.
- $300,000 uninsured motorist coverage per accident.
- $50,000 in personal injury protection.
- Collision coverage with a $1,000 deductible.
- Comprehensive coverage with a $1,000 deductible.
We used the same assumptions for all other driver profiles, with the following exceptions:
- For drivers with poor credit, we adjusted the credit tier from “good” to “poor.”
- For drivers with one at-fault crash, we added a single at-fault crash.
- For low-mileage drivers, we adjusted the miles driven from 12,000 per year to 5,000.
- For drivers with minimum coverage, we adjusted the numbers above to reflect minimum required coverage by law in the state.
We used a 2015 Toyota Camry in all cases. These are rates generated through Quadrant Information Services. Your own rates will be different.