Atlanta mortgage lenders cater to a massive real estate market that’s home to the employees of more than a dozen Fortune 500 companies, including Home Depot, UPS, Coca-Cola and Delta Air Lines. In a city with diverse and growing employment, national mortgage makers, regional players and online lenders vie for the business of a broad array of home buyers.
NerdWallet has researched the offerings of the leading mortgage providers by loan volume in Atlanta and picked the best in different borrower categories. We dug even deeper and found top local lenders as well.
NerdWallet’s best mortgage lenders in Atlanta
Ideal for borrowers who want lots of options and a quick turn time. Fairway Independent Mortgage offers a full selection of home loans along with a comprehensive mobile app for a fast and easy application process.
Ideal for borrowers who prefer a traditional bank. Bank of America offers a wide array of mortgages and online account management tools. It also has first-time home buyer loans with low down payments and no mandatory mortgage insurance.
Ideal for borrowers who need to be evaluated on the basis of nontraditional credit. New American Funding offers FHA and VA loans, works with down payment assistance programs, and seeks borrowers whose credit histories don't fit the mold of traditional banking.
Ideal for those who appreciate the full-service experience of a leading regional bank. Flagstar offers a full menu of fixed and adjustable home loans and mortgage refinancing, as well as jumbo loans and home equity financing.
Local mortgage lenders in Atlanta
If you want to include a local lender or two in your search for the best mortgage, these Atlanta lenders are among the highest-volume mortgage underwriters in the city, though they have not been reviewed by NerdWallet.
- Established in 1974 and claims to be the largest community bank in metro Atlanta.
- Services home loans after closing, rather than selling them off to a third party to collect.
- Offers a first-time home buyer grant for down payment and closing-cost assistance.
- Based in Buckhead, with branches throughout Georgia.
- A mobile app allows you to apply for a mortgage, scan documents and track your loan status.
- Offers conventional loans, as well as all government-backed mortgages and construction/renovation loans.
- A Georgia-born lender with about 80 branch offices in the Southeast.
- A wide variety of loan offerings, including 203(k) renovation loans, jumbos and government-backed mortgages, in addition to conventional loans.
- Jumbo loans available for up to $5 million on nearly all property types, including first and second homes.
- Claims to be the largest nonbank lender in Georgia.
- Processing, underwriting and document preparation are all based in Atlanta.
- Seven offices across Georgia, with four in Atlanta and another eight offices in surrounding states.
Best Atlanta mortgage lenders: Summary
- Quicken Loans: Best for mobile experience.
- Suntrust Mortgage: Best for first-time home buyers.
- Fairway: Best for a wide selection of loan products.
- Bank of America: Best for in-person service.
- LoanDepot: Best for customer service.
- New American Funding: Best for borrowers with nontraditional credit.
- Navy Federal Credit Union: Best for military-connected borrowers.
- Caliber Home Loans: Best for first-time home buyers.
- Guild Mortgage: Best for borrowers needing down payment assistance.
- Flagstar Bank: Best for borrowers looking to refinance.
- Fidelity Bank Mortgage: Top Atlanta lender.
- BankSouth Mortgage: Top Atlanta lender.
- Homestar Financial: Top Atlanta lender.
- Southeast Mortgage: Top Atlanta lender.
More from NerdWallet