NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
Buying a home in Georgia can be a delight. From the high-energy vibe of Atlanta to the relaxed, outdoor-enthusiast-friendly foothills, mountains and coast, there’s a lot to love. And while you’ll likely to worry more about curb appeal and an updated kitchen, choosing a mortgage lender is among your most important decisions.
NerdWallet has researched many of the top lenders in Georgia and selected some of the best options for home buyers depending on their needs.
Best Georgia mortgage lenders for online experience
These lenders have online tools such as document upload and income verification that will help make getting a mortgage in Georgia — day or night, 24/7 — a no-hassle experience.
- Online employment and asset verification can speed the loan application process
- Gives users access to just about all the same loan services your neighborhood lender would offer
- Talk to a mortgage advisor anytime by tapping an on-screen button
- Rocket Mortgage review
- A “Lifetime Guarantee” refinance program offers special benefits for repeat customers
- Rate comparison page offers head-to-head shopping with competitors
- Technology upgrades are enhancing the customer experience
- LoanDepot review
Best Georgia mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
First-time home buyers will find ample loan options and responsive customer service with these mortgage lenders.
- A leading FHA lender — a go-to resource for first-time buyers
- Innovative low down payment programs
- Market-leading technology for borrowers
- Quicken Loans review
- A top-5 loan-volume originator in Georgia
- First-time home buyers can qualify with just 3% down
- Offers government-backed loans from the Federal Housing Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs and U.S. Department of Agriculture
- SunTrust mortgage review
Best Georgia mortgage lenders for borrowers with low credit scores
These lenders go out of their way to help borrowers with lower credit scores or a hitch or two in their credit history.
- Offers a loan approval process focusing on each borrower’s financial situation, rather than on automated models
- Writes loans for manufactured housing
- Helps borrowers find state-sponsored down payment assistance and grant programs
- New American Funding review
- Offers loans to customers without credit scores, using utility bill and rent payment history, among other factors
- Helps borrowers find state housing and rural/farm assistance programs
- Endorses Dave Ramsey’s philosophy of “debt-free homeownership”
- Churchill Mortgage review
Best Georgia mortgage lenders for refinancing
These are among the highest-volume refinancing lenders in Georgia, with a large selection of loan refinancing products.
- Includes an eight-step online application process and a mobile app
- A top-10 volume mortgage originator in Georgia
- Offers a variety of government-insured loans, including FHA, VA and USDA
- Fairway Independent Mortgage review
- A full line of refinancing products that you would expect from a large bank
- Minimum credit score of 620
- Offers a 3% down payment option for borrowers with a credit score of 680 or higher
- Chase Mortgage review
Best Georgia mortgage lenders for face-to-face service
Prefer not to go it alone when it comes to a home loan? These lenders are suited to provide personal service.
- Georgia’s sixth-largest home loan lender
- The Home Loan Navigator, an online portal, provides updates on the loan process
- Existing bank customers may qualify for a reduction in fees
- Bank of America mortgage review
- Parent company, SunTrust Banks, is headquartered in Atlanta
- Customer service available at physical locations, online, via chat and by phone
- Offers a variety of loan products
- SunTrust mortgage review
Best Georgia mortgage lenders: summary
- Rocket Mortgage: Best for online experience
- LoanDepot: Best for online experience
- Quicken Loans: Best for first-time home buyers
- SunTrust Mortgage: Best for first-time home buyers
- Fairway: Best for refinancing
- Chase: Best for refinancing
- Bank of America Mortgage: Best for face-to-face service
- SunTrust: Best for face-to-face service
- New American Funding: Best for borrowers with low credit scores
- Churchill Mortgage: Best for borrowers with low credit scores