Thanks to white-sand beaches and year-round sunshine, deciding to live in San Diego is a no-brainer. But with scores of mortgage companies to pick from, finding the right one to finance your house can feel more difficult. That’s where NerdWallet comes in.
We compared San Diego’s leading mortgage lenders — high-volume national brands along with local options — to identify top options for first-time home buyers and repeat buyers alike.
When choosing a mortgage lender, it’s important to think about what matters most to you: Some borrowers need low-down-payment options, some want a competitive interest rate, and others look for the convenience of an online application process.
We’ve narrowed the field to help simplify your search for a San Diego mortgage lender.
NerdWallet’s best San Diego mortgage lenders
These national and regional mortgage lenders do business in San Diego, even if they don’t have physical locations there, and are among the city’s highest-volume mortgage companies.
Ideal for those who appreciate the full-service experience of a leading regional bank. Flagstar offers a full menu of fixed and adjustable home loans and mortgage refinancing, as well as jumbo loans and home equity financing.
Ideal for borrowers who want lots of options and a quick turn time. Fairway Independent Mortgage offers a full selection of home loans along with a comprehensive mobile app for a fast and easy application process.
Ideal for borrowers who prefer a traditional bank. Bank of America offers a wide array of mortgages and online account management tools. It also has first-time home buyer loans with low down payments and no mandatory mortgage insurance.
Ideal for first-time home buyers who want to talk to a loan officer in person or on the phone, and for homeowners who want to refinance their mortgages in 60 days or less. Chase offers a full line of mortgage products and account management tools.
Local mortgage lenders in San Diego
The following lenders have not been reviewed by NerdWallet. However, they do a significant volume of mortgage lending in San Diego and are popular among the city’s mortgage shoppers. Check them out if you prefer to include a local lender or two in your search for the best mortgage.
- Several low-down-payment loans.
- Loan options with no closing costs and no mortgage insurance.
- Mobile app available.
- Multiple branch locations in San Diego.
- Pre-qualification requires a phone call with a loan officer.
- Loan programs for foreign nationals and self-employed borrowers.
- Will finance all types of condos.
- Several branch locations in and around San Diego.
- Conventional, government and jumbo loan options.
- Offers refinancing and reverse mortgages.
- Only one branch location in San Diego.
- Website provides instant customized rate quotes.
- Offers 3% down conventional loans.
- Claims to charge a flat, guaranteed lender fee.
Best San Diego mortgage lenders: Summary
- Flagstar Bank: Best for first-time home buyers.
- Guild Mortgage: Best for first-time home buyers.
- Quicken Loans: Best for a digital mortgage experience.
- Fairway Independent Mortgage: Best for a digital mortgage experience.
- Caliber Home Loans: Best for veterans.
- loanDepot: Best for home equity loans.
- San Diego County Credit Union: Best credit union option.
- Navy Federal Credit Union: Best credit union option.
- Bank of America: Best for face-to-face service.
- Chase: Best for face-to-face service.
- Union Bank: Top local mortgage lender in San Diego.
- CrossCountry Mortgage: Top local mortgage lender in San Diego.
- Bay Equity Home Loans: Top local mortgage lender in San Diego.
- AimLoan: Top local mortgage lender in San Diego.
More from NerdWallet