- Earn 1% on purchases
- 5% back on gas at BP stations only; in our calculations we assume you pump only at BP
- 2% back on travel & dining
- Redeemable in $25 increments via personal check
Purchase: 19.49%, Variable
Penalty APR: Up to 30.24%, Variable
Cash Advance APR: 23.49%, Variable
- Bonus cash back categories
- No annual fee
- Needs excellent credit
- High APR
Aw nerds! Looks like this page may be out of date. Head over to our updated review of the Best Gas Cards.The BP Credit Card offers an awesome promotion: 2x rewards for the first 60 days. This means that, for two months, you earn 10% rewards on BP gas, 4% on dining and travel, and 2% everywhere else. After that, it reverts to its usual rate of 5%, 2% and 1% in each of the categories. Even though you need to buy your gas at BP to earn 5% rewards, the intro rewards period is enough that the BP Credit Card actually floats to the top of the list of the best gas credit cards.
Redemption is relatively painless, each time you collect 2,500 points, you can have Chase mail you a $25 check. This is much nicer than programs like Citi ThankYou Points where you have to amass 10,000 points to get a $100 gift card to a random retailer.
Verdict: BP & Amoco gas is expensive, but if you're a loyal customer, this is a great card. Although you may still be better off with a combination of cards like the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, the TrueEarnings® Card from Costco and American Express, or the Citi Forward® Card.
Benefits at a glance:
The BP Credit Card is a great rewards card offering 5% back at BP stations, and 2% back at anything classified as dining or travel by Visa. This includes "airlines, car rental agencies, lodging establishments, and dining establishments (excluding fast food restaurants)".
Like most good rewards cards, BP offers mediocre APRs, though the card requires excellent credit, so most applying for this card do not care.
Similar cards that may be better suited for you & the questions you should ask to determine if they are:
- Can you pump at Costco? If pumping at Costco is an option (where gas is way cheaper than at BP), go for the TrueEarnings® Card from Costco and American Express, where you can get 3% back on Costco gas & dining, and 2% back on travel. Or 4% on gas if you get the business version. Obviously the goal is to get the cheapest gas, not the most rewards, so if you have other discount gas stations nearby, prices are often more than 5% below BP and Amoco.
- Are you going to spend a ton of money on groceries and department stores? If so, the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express has a similar card that pays 3% on ALL gas stations (except Costco), as well as 3% at department stores, and 6% on groceries. To see which is best for you, we do the math for you on our rewards credit card homepage. Just put in some assumptions on the left and see if Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express ranks higher than BP Credit Card...
- Are you using the card just for gas? If you just want to maximize the amount of rewards you're getting on gas, the PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa® Card will get you 5% on any gas station. You also get 2% back at grocery stores. The only catch here is if you are not affiliated with the military, defense, or red cross, you have to make a $20 donation to a charity to join their credit union, after which you are not necessarily guaranteed approval.
- Willing to get more than one card? Combine the cards above to "Dr. Frankenstein" your rewards. Get 5% at restaurants with the Citi Forward® Card, 5% on gas with the PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa® Card, and 6% on groceries with the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, and you are on your way to a true Nerd wallet.
NerdWallet reviews are the result of independent research by our editorial team while cardholder reviews are contributions from independent users not affiliated with NerdWallet. Banks, issuers and credit card companies are not responsible for any content posted on the NerdWallet site, nor do they endorse or guarantee any posted comments or reviews.