Website Privacy Statement
Last Updated: October 19, 2022
This Privacy Statement applies to Nerdwallet Inc. (referred to as “Nerdwallet”, “we” or “us” throughout this Privacy Statement).
NerdWallet complies with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (“Privacy Act”) and Australian Privacy Principles (“APPs”) with respect to the collection use and disclosure of personal information.
This Privacy Statement only describes the collection, use and disclosure of personal information in connection with our website nerdwallet.com/au (the “Site”). It does not apply to information collected offline or on other websites hosted, or contributed to, by Nerdwallet or any of its related bodies corporate. By using the Site, you agree to the terms of this Privacy Statement.
We may update our Site at any time, in our sole discretion, in which case we will also update this Privacy Statement to reflect any additional online tracking activities and/or other collection, use or disclosure of personal information on or through the Site. Accordingly, we encourage you to check this Privacy Statement periodically for updates.
What personal information do we collect?
The types of personal information we may collect include:
- Contact information: This includes your name, address, email address, phone number, and date of birth.
- Interaction information: This includes details of your interaction with us, including details of Site that you have enquired, provided feedback or lodged a complaint about. It may also include any additional information necessary to deliver the Site and respond to your enquiries, feedback and complaints.
- Digital information: This may include your originating IP address, date and time you accessed the Site, type of browser used, page(s) visited and links clicked, time spent on each page of the Site and referral website.
How do we collect personal information?
We may collect your personal information either directly from you, or indirectly from third parties. We may collect this information when you:
- communicate with us through correspondence, chats or email; or
- interact with our Site, content and advertising.
Why do we collect personal information?
NerdWallet only collects personal information where it is necessary for us to deliver the Site to you, where it is otherwise reasonably necessary for our business activities, any other purpose you have consented to and any other purpose permitted under the Privacy Act and APPs.
How do we use personal information?
NerdWallet only uses your personal information for the purpose for which it has been provided, where it is otherwise reasonably necessary for our business activities, any other purpose you have consented to and any other purpose permitted under the Privacy Act and APPs. This may include using your personal information for the following purposes:
- to enable you to access the Site;
- to operate, protect, improve and optimise our Site, business and our users’ experience, such as to perform analytics, conduct research and for advertising and marketing;
- for other purposes for which you have consented;
- as required or permitted by relevant laws and regulations.
To whom do we disclose your personal information
We may disclose personal information for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement to:
- our employees and related bodies corporate;
- our existing or potential third party suppliers and service providers;
- our professional advisers;
- anyone to whom our assets or businesses (or any part of them) are transferred; and/or
- other persons, including government agencies, regulatory bodies and law enforcement agencies, or as required, authorised or permitted by law.
Disclosure of personal information outside Australia
We may disclose personal information outside of Australia to our related bodies corporate and third party service providers located in the US.
If we collect your personal information, you are taken to consent to the disclosure, transfer, storing or processing of your personal information outside of Australia. you acknowledge and agree that by providing your consent:
- we will not be required to take steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that third parties comply with the APPs;
- if the overseas recipient handles your personal information in breach of the APPs, we will not be liable under the Privacy Act and you will not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act;
- the overseas recipient may not be subject to any privacy law or principles similar to the APPs;
- you may be unable to seek redress overseas; and
- the overseas recipient is subject to a foreign law that could compel the disclosure of personal information to a third party, such as an overseas authority.]
Cookies and third party analytics
This Site uses Google Analytics, which collects the following information:
- originating IP address
- date and time user accessed the Site
- type of browser used by the user
- page(s) visited and links clicked, as well as time spent on each page
- referral website
The information that is collected by Google Analytics is presented to NerdWallet in anonymous, aggregate form, for the purposes of allowing us to evaluate use of the Site and improve the Site and the user experience. We cannot identify any individual from the data provided to us by Google Analytics. We handle any personal information collected from Google Analytics in the same way that we handle all other personal information in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
We are not responsible for the acts or omissions of third parties such as Google. However, you should be aware that information collected by Google Analytics: (1) may be shared with other Google services and Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network; and (2) may be transferred, stored or otherwise processed outside Australia, in any country where Google operates, and such information may be accessible to courts, law enforcement and national authorities in such other countries.
For further information about Google Analytics, please refer to the Google Analytics terms of service and/or the data privacy and security information provided by Google at: https://support.google.com/analytics/topic/2919631
You may opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics, at any time, by using the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-On.
We hold your personal information in electronic form and may store your personal information with third-party service providers that are obligated to keep you data confidential. We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss, as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We use a number of physical, managerial, and technical safeguards that are designed to protect the integrity and security of your information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us through the Services or store on the Site and you do so at your own risk. We also cannot guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
Although we may allow you to adjust your privacy settings to limit access to your information, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We cannot control the actions of other users or other third parties with whom you may choose to share your information. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that information you post through the Services and on the Site will not be viewed by unauthorized persons. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site. Even after removal, copies of information that you have posted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or if other users have copied or stored such information.
This Site may contain links to websites operated by third parties. Those links are provided for convenience and may not remain current or be maintained. Unless expressly stated otherwise, NerdWallet are not responsible for the privacy practices of, or any content on, those linked websites, and have no control over or rights in those linked websites. The privacy policies that apply to those other websites may differ substantially from our Privacy Statement, so we encourage you to read them before using those websites.
Accessing or correcting your personal information
You can access the personal information we hold about you by contacting us using the details at the bottom of this page. Sometimes, we may not be able to provide you with access to all of your personal information and, where this is the case, we will tell you why. We may also need to verify your identity when you request your personal information.
If you think that any personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date please contact us and we will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is corrected and/or updated. We will generally rely on you to assist us in informing us if the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date.
Make a complaint
If you think we have breached the Privacy Act or APPs, or you wish to make a complaint about the way we have handled your personal information, you can contact us using the details at the bottom of this page.
For further information, or if you have any questions, concerns or complaints about NerdWallet’s collection, use or disclosure of your personal information (including any questions regarding our service providers outside Australia or to obtain written information regarding such service providers), or if would like to request access to any personal information we may hold about you, you may contact us using the details below:
Email: at [email protected]
Mailing address: 55 Hawthorne Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 1300 363 992
Mailing Address: GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001