Fred Loya insurance reviews and ratings
- Offers coverage for high-risk drivers.
- Has a high number of complaints to state regulators.
- Does not offer 24/7 claim filing.
Fred Loya Insurance specializes in providing minimum levels of auto insurance to high-risk drivers — typically those with poor credit or who are required to file an SR-22 form due to traffic violations or DUIs. The company is operated by EP Loya Group, a Texas-based auto insurance company, which also owns Loya Insurance Company, Young America Insurance, Rodney D. Young Insurance and National Insurance — agencies that offer policies from both Fred Loya and other insurance providers. Depending on your location, Fred Loya Insurance may be marketed using one of these names.
While Fred Loya offers some unique features, such as complimentary rental car coverage and office locations in grocery stores and Walmart stores, its policies can be confusing. The company also has a high number of customer complaints and has faced legal troubles in the past.
If you have a hard time finding coverage, Fred Loya can likely issue you a policy. However, consider other options available for high-risk drivers before choosing Fred Loya as your auto insurance provider. If you simply want to purchase a policy that meets your state’s required minimum coverage levels, there are alternative options available to you.
Fred Loya auto insurance
Fred Loya offers minimal auto insurance coverage. While all policies include liability coverage, other types must be added on, including collision and comprehensive coverage and personal injury protection or medical payments coverage.
Additional coverages could include:
- Physical damage coverage. This covers damages from sand, hail, floods, vandalism and collision, regardless of who is at fault.
- Rental reimbursement coverage. Get reimbursed for the rental car cost while your vehicle is in the shop for covered repairs.
Fred Loya offers policies for high-risk drivers, which often includes those with poor or no credit. Fred Loya’s policies can be issued with or without a credit check, and SR-22 forms may be available. Some policy coverages and exclusions are unconventional and may not be clear, so it’s important to carefully read the fine print. For example, Fred Loya offers “complete coverage” — a combination of both comprehensive and collision coverage — but only for vehicles that are free of any damage. And once a policy is purchased, any changes, including address and phone number updates, must be made over the phone or in person.
Fred Loya doesn’t offer online car insurance quotes. To get a price quote, you must either call the Fred Loya hotline or visit a location. You can find a nearby office using the website’s location finder, and some offices are in readily accessible retail spots like grocery stores and select Walmart stores.
Fred Loya discounts may include:
- Multiple car discount.
- Air bag or automatic seat belt discount.
- Anti-theft discount.
- A discount if you have completed a defensive driving course.
- Driver’s education discount.
- A discount for completing an alcohol and drug awareness course.
Complaints about Fred Loya Insurance
Over three years, Loya Insurance Group has drawn far more complaints to state regulators than expected for a company of its size, according to a NerdWallet analysis of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
The top three customer complaint types over the last three years are:
- Unsatisfactory settlements and offers.
- Delays in handling claims.
- Denial of claims.
More about Fred Loya
- Website: The Fred Loya website has limited information on coverage options and offers few features. Current customers cano access their policy and make payments online, while new customers can use the site’s location finder to look up the nearest agency.
- Mobile alerts: Fred Loya Insurance offers the ability to sign up for text alerts that can provide policy information and let you know when your next payment is due.
- Filing a claim: Claims must be filed over the phone and can be reported only during office hours, as 24/7 phone support is not available.
- State availability: In addition to Texas, Fred Loya offers auto insurance coverage in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Nevada, New Mexico and Ohio.
Fred Loya’s phone number is 1-888-248-8787.
Recap: Fred Loya pros and cons
|Policies are available for high-risk drivers||High number of complaints and past legal issues|
|Could receive a complimentary rental vehicle when your car is in the shop||Not able to get a quote or file a claim online|
|Confusing coverage policy language and exclusions|
|Does not offer 24/7 claim filing|