National General reviews and ratings
- Provides coverage to high-risk drivers.
- Has far more than the expected number of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for auto insurance.
- Offers SR-22 forms.
National General, the nation’s 15th-largest auto insurance company, specializes in “high-risk” drivers such as first-time DUI offenders. Its policies are widely available, online and through independent agents, the company claims to offer affordable rates to first-time DUI offenders who’ve completed a safe driving and substance abuse therapy program.
Still, while National General offers a wide variety of products and discounts, it has far more than the expected number of auto insurance complaints for its size.
National General auto insurance
National General auto insurance earned 3.0 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account pricing and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
National General offers basic car insurance as well as these additional benefits:
- SR-22 availability. Many states require an SR-22 form to prove that a driver has insurance after a DUI or another serious violation. Florida and Virginia drivers may need a similar form, called an FR-44, to show they have more than the state’s minimum required car insurance.
- Customer satisfaction guarantee. National General will waive part of your deductible (up to $250) if you aren’t satisfied with its claims service. This is not available in all states.
- Emergency expense allowance. National General covers food, lodging and travel expenses up to a daily limit so you won’t be stranded after a covered claim.
- SmartValet. Get your car picked up after an accident and receive a rental car after you submit a claim. Your vehicle will be delivered to you after it’s repaired, and National General will return the rental car for you.
National General has auto insurance discounts for:
- Paying your premium in full, upfront.
- Insuring more than one vehicle.
- Completing a defensive driving course (in certain states).
- Using electronics that track your mileage.
- Membership in certain organizations.
- Having multiple policies with National General.
- Going paperless.
- Anti-theft features in your car.
- Making automatic payments.
SmartDrive allows National General to monitor your driving through an app on your phone. If you drive safely, you may qualify for cheaper rates when you renew your policy. However, bad habits like speeding, hard braking and distracted driving could cause your rates to go up instead.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
National General complaints and customer satisfaction
National General had far more than the expected number of complaints for auto insurance to state regulators relative to its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
National General consistently falls below average in J.D. Power’s 2019 customer satisfaction insurance surveys.
More about National General
Website: National General’s website allows you to get a quote, report a claim and pay bills online. It also features a learning center where users can find out more about auto, home and RV insurance.
Mobile app: National General doesn’t offer a mobile app for managing your policy. However, if you sign up for the SmartDrive program, its Route Report mobile app will track your driving habits and offer discounts for safe behavior.
|Other types of insurance from National General include:|
|Homeowners insurance||Small-business auto insurance|
|Condo insurance||Motorcycle insurance|
|Renters insurance||Recreational vehicle insurance|
Recap: National General pros and cons
|Offers policies to first-time DUI offenders||Far more than the expected number of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for auto insurance|
|Can file an SR-22 if you need one||Below-average customer satisfaction reviews|
|No mobile app for managing policy|