National General reviews and ratings
- Provides coverage to high-risk drivers.
- Has far more than the median number of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for auto insurance.
- Offers SR-22 forms.
National General, the nation’s 14th-largest auto insurance company, specializes in “high-risk” drivers such as first-time DUI offenders. Its policies are widely available, online and through independent agents, and they include perks that drivers might not expect after a DUI.
Still, while National General offers a wide variety of products and discounts, it has far more than the expected number of auto insurance complaints for its size.
Compare auto insurance policies instantlyCompare Rates Please enter a valid zip code
National General auto insurance
National General offers basic car insurance as well as these additional benefits:
- SR-22 availability. Many states require an SR-22 form to prove that a driver has insurance after a DUI or another serious violation. Florida and Virginia drivers may need a similar form, called an FR-44, to show they have more than the state’s minimum required car insurance. National General handles these requirements for first-time DUI offenders who’ve completed a safe driving and substance abuse therapy program.
- Customer satisfaction guarantee. National General will waive your deductible (up to $250) if you aren’t satisfied with its claims service. This is not available in all states.
- 24/7 claims reporting. Customers can call to report their claim any time of day. Claims can also be reported online.
- Guarantee on repairs. Collision repairs made at a shop approved by National General are guaranteed for the life of your vehicle. This guarantee applies only to comprehensive and collision claims, and drivers must have rental reimbursement coverage.
- Emergency expense allowance. National General covers food, lodging and travel expenses up to a daily limit so you won’t be stranded after a covered claim.
- SmartValet. Get your car picked up after an accident and receive a rental car after you submit a claim. Your vehicle will be delivered to you after it’s repaired, and National General will return the rental car for you.
National General’s auto insurance discounts include:
- Paid-in-full discount.
- Multi-vehicle discount.
- Discount for completing a defensive driving course (in certain states).
- Discount for using electronics that track your mileage.
- Discounts for membership in certain organizations.
- Discount for having multiple policies with National General.
- Paperless discount.
- Anti-theft discount.
- Auto pay discount.
You can also get a discount by signing up for SmartDrive, which allows National General to monitor your driving through an app on your phone. If you drive safely, you may qualify for cheaper rates when you renew your policy. However, bad habits like speeding, hard braking and distracted driving could cause your rates to go up instead.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
National General complaints and customer satisfaction
National General had far more than the median number of complaints for auto insurance to state regulators relative to its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
In addition, National General had low scores in J.D. Power’s most recent survey of auto insurance customer satisfaction.
|2019 J.D. Power Study||National General ranks...|
|Auto Insurance Shopping||About average|
|Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction (Southeast region)||Below average|
|Home Insurance||Among the rest|
|Property Insurance Claims||About average|
More about National General
Website: National General’s website allows you to get a quote, report a claim and pay bills online. It also features a learning center where users can find out more about auto, home and RV insurance.
Mobile app: National General doesn’t offer a mobile app for managing your policy. However, if you sign up for the SmartDrive program, its RouteReport mobile app will track your driving habits and offer discounts for safe behavior.
|Other types of insurance from National General include:|
|Homeowners insurance||Small-business auto insurance|
|Condo insurance||Motorcycle insurance|
|Renters insurance||Recreational vehicle insurance|
Recap: National General pros and cons
|Offers policies to first-time DUI offenders||Far more than the median number of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for auto insurance|
|Can file an SR-22 if you need one||Below-average customer satisfaction reviews for auto insurance|
|Guarantee for life of vehicle on approved repairs||No mobile app for managing policy|