- Specializes in selling car insurance to high-risk drivers.
- Has far more than the expected number of complaints to state regulators for auto insurance.
- Can provide SR-22 forms to drivers who need one.
Safe Auto Insurance focuses on providing the minimum required car insurance needed to meet state requirements. Its policies are geared to drivers considered high risk because of issues like multiple moving violations, poor credit or a DUI. You can buy a Safe Auto policy, by phone or online, in several states.
Safe Auto Insurance
Safe Auto auto insurance earned 3.5 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account pricing and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Although Safe Auto specializes in minimum liability insurance, you can also get comprehensive and collision coverage, which pays to repair or replace your car if it’s stolen or damaged. This extra coverage is optional, but if you owe money on a car loan or lease, your lender may require you to buy it.
Safe Auto offers other standard coverage options as well, such as rental reimbursement, roadside assistance and towing, along with:
- Personal injury protection, or no-fault insurance, to pay for medical and funeral expenses, lost wages and household services if you’re injured in an accident, regardless of who was at fault.
- Accidental death benefit coverage if a covered vehicle is involved in a fatal accident.
- SR-22 availability. Your state may require an SR-22 form to prove you have insurance after a DUI or another serious violation.
Safe Auto car insurance discounts
Safe Auto’s discounts vary by state. You may be eligible for discounts for:
- Insuring more than one vehicle.
- Owning your home.
- Switching to Safe Auto from another insurer.
- Taking a driver improvement course.
- Avoiding accidents and traffic violations.
- Paying your premium in full, upfront.
Other payment options: With a down payment, Safe Auto customers can make payments monthly or every other month.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
Complaints about Safe Auto
Over three years, Safe Auto has drawn far more complaints to state regulators than expected for a company of its size, according to a NerdWallet analysis of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
More about Safe Auto insurance
Website: Safe Auto’s website is available in English and Spanish. Policyholders can log in to view policy information, pay premiums and report a claim. The website also features summaries of each state’s minimum car insurance requirements and consumer reviews.
Mobile app: Safe Auto’s mobile app is another way to see policy details and make payments. You can also view your insurance ID card on the app.
Same-day pay: After a claim is approved, you can choose to have the money immediately deposited into a bank account, prepaid card or debit card instead of waiting for a check to be mailed.
State availability: Safe Auto offers car insurance in several states, including Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
Other insurance types: In addition to auto insurance, Safe Auto offers other types of insurance through partner companies, including:
|Homeowners insurance||Health insurance|
|Renters insurance||Dental insurance|
|Motorcycle insurance||Business insurance|
|Life insurance||Accident insurance|
Recap: Safe Auto pros and cons
|Can get an SR-22 if you need one||Far more than expected complaints about auto insurance to state regulators|
|Website available in English and Spanish||Not available in all states|