- Has far fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators for home and auto insurance.
- Has a lot of policy and coverage options.
- Available in 27 states and Washington, D.C.
The Hanover Insurance Group packs a long list of extras into its auto and home insurance policies, with options to add even more. The company offers home and auto coverage through independent agents in 27 states and Washington, D.C. The Hanover also sells a wide range of insurance for small and midsize businesses.
People who like an insurance policy with built-in perks and features may find The Hanover to be a good fit.
The Hanover auto insurance
The Hanover auto insurance earned 4.0 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account pricing and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
While The Hanover offers the usual coverages, including liability, comprehensive and collision under its Connections-branded policies, it focuses on packages that come with extra features.
Hanover Platinum includes the following additional features in most states the company serves:
- A deductible waiver means you have only one deductible if an incident damages more than one insured item. For example, if a falling tree crushed two of your insured cars, you’d be responsible for only one deductible. And if the tree demolished your garage as well, you’d still have only one deductible as long as both your home and auto coverage came from The Hanover.
- Child car seat replacement will pay up to $300 with no deductible to replace a car seat that’s damaged in a covered accident.
- Original equipment manufacturer parts coverage provides replacement parts from your car’s manufacturer if you’re in a covered wreck, rather than less expensive aftermarket parts. Your car must be no more than 3 model years old.
- Mechanical parts replacement pays out after a covered accident to replace parts like tires and batteries with new ones rather than reducing the payout for wear and tear.
- Key replacement coverage pays up to $250 if your car keys are lost, damaged or stolen.
- Upgraded rental car coverage pays a daily amount toward a rental car until yours is repaired or replaced after an accident. The total payout is capped at $3,000, but there’s no cap on the number of days.
The Prestige package, geared toward customers with higher-value homes and automobiles, offers higher coverage amounts or longer terms for some of these options. For example, rental reimbursement has a $6,000 limit and OEM parts coverage isn’t limited to 3 model years.
Auto insurance discounts from The Hanover
Depending on your state, you may be offered discounts or credits for:
- Insuring both your home and auto with The Hanover.
- Insuring more than one vehicle.
- Paying your premium in full, upfront.
- Driving a car with an anti-theft device.
- Taking an accident prevention course.
- Having good grades or leaving the car at home while attending school, if you or someone insured on the policy is a student.
SafeTeen: Families with a teen driver can also qualify for discounts if the teen completes a driver safety course or uses the SmartPath mobile app, which monitors driving habits.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
The Hanover homeowners insurance
Like its auto insurance, The Hanover offers a basic homeowners policy under its Connections brand. Extended homeowners coverage can come in packages that include lots of extras in addition to standard protections for your home.
Platinum package. Depending on your state and selected options, The Hanover’s Platinum package may include:
- A deductible waiver, like the one included with The Hanover’s auto packages. You’ll have just one deductible if a storm damages both your home and car, for example, as long as they’re both insured by The Hanover.
- Extended dwelling replacement. If the amount of insurance on your house isn’t enough to cover the cost of rebuilding, this option helps make up the difference — up to an additional 50%.
- Siding and roof restoration. If repairs wouldn’t match your existing roof or siding because the right materials aren’t available, this coverage will pay to replace undamaged areas as well.
- Mortgage extra expense coverage. If you replace a destroyed home, get a new mortgage and end up with a higher interest rate, this option covers the extra interest for a year. It also pays $1,000 toward loan application and processing costs.
- Lock replacement, which pays for new locks if your keys are stolen.
- Fire extinguisher coverage that pays to recharge or replace an extinguisher you used against a fire in your home.
- Guaranteed replacement cost pays whatever is necessary to replace your home with materials similar to its original build.
- Equipment breakdown coverage pays for sudden failure of things like your air conditioner, refrigerator or washing machine, and comes in coverage amounts of $25,000 or $50,000.
- Assisted living care expands property and liability coverage for family members in a nursing home or assisted living facility who are covered by your policy.
Other homeowners policy options from The Hanover include:
- The Prestige package. Homeowners of higher-value properties can add even more options and higher coverage amounts with The Hanover’s top-tier package.
- Service line coverage. This option pays to repair or replace damaged power lines, water pipes and other utility lines on your property.
Homeowners insurance discounts from The Hanover
Depending on your state, you may be offered discounts for:
- Insuring both your home and auto with The Hanover.
- Buying a home.
- Insuring a relatively new home.
- Having devices such as smoke detectors or an alarm system.
- Membership in certain organizations.
Complaints about The Hanover
The Hanover had fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators for a company of its size for auto and home insurance, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
More about The Hanover insurance
Website: The Hanover’s website has basic information about policy options, not only for home and auto insurance but also for business coverage. The website lets you report a claim, pay premiums and locate an auto repair shop. However, you can’t get a quote or buy a policy online. For that, you’ll need to connect with an independent agent, and the website can help you find one.
Mobile apps: The Hanover offers several apps, available for both Android and iOS:
- Hanover Mobile allows you to view your policy, make payments, submit claims and call for roadside assistance. In most states the company serves, you can also view your insurance ID card.
- Hanover Snap Claims Inspection lets you upload photos to get a repair estimate after an auto claim has been started.
- Hanover SmartPath monitors teens’ driving behavior, such as braking, speeding and distraction. Policy discounts are available for users in most states the company serves, and teens can earn Amazon rewards if the app shows they’re driving safely.
Other insurance types: In addition to auto and homeowners coverage, The Hanover offers several other types of insurance, sometimes through third parties. You can get these types of insurance through The Hanover:
|Other insurance offered from The Hanover and third parties include:|
|Renters||Motor home, RV and trailer|
|Boat and personal watercraft||Identity theft (from CyberScout)|
|Umbrella||Business and commercial auto|
* Policies written by American Modern
Recap: The Hanover pros and cons
|Complaints are low||Not available in all states|
|Lots of coverage options||Can't get a quote online|
|Combination (home, auto and umbrella) policies available|