Charlotte, North Carolina, offers such a wide variety of mortgage lenders that it can be hard to pick one. NerdWallet evaluated Charlotte’s leading mortgage companies in various categories to help you decide.
Whether you’re buying a bungalow in Dilworth or refinancing a condo in Uptown, these national and local lenders are a solid place to start.
NerdWallet’s best Charlotte mortgage lenders
Ideal for borrowers who want lots of options and a quick turn time. Fairway Independent Mortgage offers a full selection of home loans along with a comprehensive mobile app for a fast and easy application process.
Ideal for borrowers who prefer a traditional bank. Bank of America offers a wide array of mortgages and online account management tools. It also has first-time home buyer loans with low down payments and no mandatory mortgage insurance.
Ideal for those who appreciate the full-service experience of a leading regional bank. Flagstar offers a full menu of fixed and adjustable home loans and mortgage refinancing, as well as jumbo loans and home equity financing.
Ideal for military members and their families. Navy Federal Credit Union offers a wide range of mortgage products, an online application and considers alternative credit data for certain loan types.
Local mortgage lenders in Charlotte
These mortgage lenders are based in or near Charlotte and are among the metro area’s most active mortgage providers. They have not been reviewed by NerdWallet.
- Homegrown lender that now has a national presence.
- Mobile app lets you start your application and sync bank statements and tax software, reducing paperwork.
- Aims to deliver a loan decision within six hours.
- Offers low-down-payment, jumbo, FHA, VA and USDA mortgages, plus condo loans up to $3 million.
- One of Charlotte’s best-known brands for homebuying and refinancing.
- Lets you track loan status online, plus get email notifications of milestones such as receipt of appraisal.
- “Second Look” program encourages rate-shopping from people who have been preapproved by competing lenders; posts mortgage rates on its site.
- Offers 15- and 30-year fixed-rate mortgages and 5/1 ARMs as well as jumbo, FHA, VA and USDA loans.
- No lender fees for application, processing or documentation for most loans.
- More-personalized mortgage rates are available on the site with no registration required.
- Fixed-rate loans with terms from 30 to 10 years, plus 5/1 and 5/5 ARMs, and possible 100% financing.
- Schedule a callback from a loan officer within four-hour windows.
- Borrowers must meet membership eligibility requirements.
- Offers conventional, jumbo, FHA, VA and USDA loans.
- Get a conventional loan with a down payment as low as 3%.
- Jumbo loans are available for up to $3 million.
Best Charlotte mortgage lenders: Summary
- Quicken Loans: Best for FHA loans.
- Fairway: Best for FHA loans.
- Bank of America: Best for mortgage refinances.
- BB&T: Best for mortgage refinances.
- SunTrust: Best for jumbo loans.
- LoanDepot: Best for FHA loans.
- Flagstar Bank: Best for VA loans.
- Caliber: Best for first-time home buyers.
- Navy Federal Credit Union: Best for VA loans.
- Vylla: Best for first-time home buyers.
- Movement Mortgage: Top local lender.
- Allen Tate Mortgage: Top local lender.
- Sharonview Credit Union: Top local lender.
- Cardinal Financial Company: Top local lender.
More from NerdWallet