You’ll find a strong stable of mortgage companies in the Kansas City area, regardless of which side of State Line Road you look. The challenge? Sifting through the plethora of options.
To make the process easier, NerdWallet researched the local market to find some of the best national and regional mortgage lenders for a variety of borrowers. These companies do business throughout the area and are good places to start your search.
NerdWallet’s best Kansas City mortgage lenders
Ideal for borrowers who prefer a traditional bank. Bank of America offers a wide array of mortgages and online account management tools. It also has first-time home buyer loans with low down payments and no mandatory mortgage insurance.
Ideal for borrowers who are looking to apply for a mortgage and manage the process through online tools, whether buying or refinancing. Guaranteed Rate offers FHA, VA and USDA loans for borrowers who are well-qualified.
Ideal for borrowers who want lots of options and a quick turn time. Fairway Independent Mortgage offers a full selection of home loans along with a comprehensive mobile app for a fast and easy application process.
Ideal for borrowers looking for help with closing costs: PrimeLending's proprietary program, NeighborhoodEdge, helps qualified low- to moderate-income borrowers with up to $2,000 in closing cost credits (certain restrictions are based on income and location).
Ideal for those who appreciate the full-service experience of a leading regional bank. Flagstar offers a full menu of fixed and adjustable home loans and mortgage refinancing, as well as jumbo loans and home equity financing.
» MORE: See the best Missouri mortgage lenders
Local mortgage lenders in Kansas City
The following companies haven’t been reviewed by NerdWallet, but they do a lot of business in the Kansas City metropolitan area. They’re worth investigating if you’re looking for more options.
- Good for borrowers looking for a homegrown credit union.
- Offers membership to Kansas City area residents, workers and employees of select companies outside the area.
- Has an adjustable-rate loan available with no down payment for first-time home buyers.
- Offers FHA, USDA and VA mortgages, as well as fixed-rate home equity lines of credit.
- Has two mortgage-lending locations in the Kansas City area.
- Has an online application available.
- Makes its lending decisions locally.
- Good for borrowers looking for a full suite of fixed- and adjustable-rate mortgage options.
- Allows you to start an application online.
- Offers FHA, USDA and VA mortgages.
- Offers no and low down payment options, including a special program for physicians.
- Good for borrowers looking for online conveniences.
- Has an online application and displays mortgage rates on its website.
- Has programs available for low- and moderate-income home buyers.
- Offers construction loans and combined purchase and renovation loans.
Best mortgage lenders in Kansas City: summary
- Quicken: Best for first-time home buyers.
- Vylla: Best for first-time home buyers.
- NBKC Bank: Best for online convenience.
- Bank of America: Best for online convenience.
- Guaranteed Rate: Best nonbank.
- Fairway Independent Mortgage: Best nonbank.
- PrimeLending: Best for niche loan products.
- Flagstar Bank: Best for niche loan products.
- USAA: Best for veterans.
- Navy Federal Credit Union: Best for veterans.
- CommunityAmerica Credit Union: Top Kansas City lender.
- First State Bank: Top Kansas City lender.
- Busey Bank: Top Kansas City lender.
- Capitol Federal Savings Bank: Top Kansas City lender.
More from NerdWallet