NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
Finding the right Missouri mortgage lender is important when buying a home, but it can feel overwhelming. If comparing credit requirements, interest rates and lender fees makes your head spin, NerdWallet is here to help.
We researched the Show Me State’s leading mortgage lenders, then matched the best ones to five specific borrower needs.
Whether you hope to buy a condo in St. Louis, a split-level in Kansas City or a farmhouse in Excelsior Springs, consider these lenders for your mortgage needs.
Best Missouri mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
These lenders have experience with state and national loan programs that make homeownership more accessible for first-time buyers.
- Is the largest FHA lender in the nation
- Offers a full complement of mortgage products for buying and refinancing
- Has digital tools so you can complete the mortgage process entirely online
- Quicken Loans review
- Embraces FHA-backed home loans
- Finds state bond programs for first-time home buyers and limited-income households
- Offers a full menu of fixed-rate and adjustable-rate home loans and refinancing
- Flagstar Bank review
Best online mortgage lenders in Missouri
Skip the time-consuming paperwork and office visits with the digital tools offered by these lenders.
- Offers a wide range of mortgage types and products
- Lets you complete and track your mortgage application online
- Uses e-signatures for faster application processing
- NBKC Bank review
- Online and mobile-friendly application process
- Loan approval takes just minutes
- Offers on-demand assistance from licensed mortgage advisors
- Rocket Mortgage review
Best Missouri mortgage lenders for low down payments
These lenders understand it can be difficult to save 20% for a down payment, so they have home loan options with more relaxed requirements.
- Specializes in low-down-payment loans for borrowers with lower credit scores
- Partners with state housing authorities to offer down payment assistance programs
- Offers FHA, VA, USDA and conventional loans
- Carrington Mortgage review
- 3% down payment loan program with no mortgage insurance for first-time home buyers
- 5% down payment loan program with no mortgage insurance for doctors
- In-house video conferencing with loan officers at branches across the U.S.
- Bank of America review
Best Missouri mortgage lenders for USDA loans
If you’re buying in a rural area, these lenders can help you access USDA loans with flexible income and down payment requirements.
- Experienced provider of government-backed loans, such as USDA
- Bilingual agents available to assist Spanish-speaking borrowers
- Helps borrowers find state and local down payment assistance programs
- New American Funding review
- Provides a full selection of home loans, including USDA, FHA and VA
- Website offers in-depth home-buying FAQs and a mortgage glossary
- Mobile app lets you apply for a loan in under 10 minutes
- Fairway Independent Mortgage review
Best Missouri mortgage lenders for veterans
These mortgage lenders specialize in low-down-payment VA loans and other services that help military members become homeowners.
- Offers VA home purchase and streamline refinance loans
- Waives lender fee for VA borrowers
- Preapproval available online or over the phone
- NBKC Bank review
- The largest VA home purchase lender in the nation
- Offers 24/7 customer service
- Free credit score education and repair service available
- Veterans United review
Best Missouri mortgage lenders: summary
- Quicken Loans: Best for first-time home buyers
- Flagstar Bank: Best for first-time home buyers
- NBKC Bank: Best for online experience
- Rocket Mortgage: Best for online experience
- Carrington: Best for low down payments
- Bank of America: Best for low down payments
- New American Funding: Best for USDA loans
- Fairway Independent: Best for USDA loans
- NBKC Bank: Best for veterans
- Veterans United: Best for veterans
More from NerdWallet