Craft Insurance Quote

  • Carve out some peace of mind with craft insurance
  • Compare flexible policies to meet your needs with Simply Business
  • Get a quote in just 5 minutes
Get a quote

Powered by

Simply Business logo

Get a quote from leading insurers, including:

Hiscox Logo Axa Logo Zurich Logo AIG Logo Churchill Logo RSA Insurance Logo

Our panel of insurers settle at least 80% of claims within 24 hours.

How it works

Fill in a quick form
Just answer a few questions about your property to get the best quotes.
Compare quotes
Compare prices from the UK's leading insurers, and choose the cover that's right for you.
Relax and get covered
If the policy suits your needs, you can take it out and get covered in minutes.

What our Nerds say about craft insurance



According to the Craft Council’s latest Market for Craft report, the value of UK craft sales grew from £883 million in 2006 to more than £3 billion in 2019, with the number of craft buyers rising from just 17% of the population to 73% over the same period.

That’s great news for tens of thousands of skilled crafters, artisans and creators, but with so much at stake, no matter how small your operation, it pays to be insured.

Even lovingly crafted products have the potential to hurt a customer or damage their property. And then there is the vulnerability of your stock, equipment, and business premises to fire, flood or theft to consider.

What are arts and crafts businesses?

Whether you are selling handmade soaps on Etsy or visiting fairs and markets up and down the country with your pottery collection, there are a range of businesses that now fall under the arts and crafts banner.

It could be your main form of income, or a passion turned into a side hustle. Regardless, it is worth considering crafters insurance to make sure you are protected.

What is craft insurance?

A craft insurance policy isn’t a specific type of insurance, but rather a package that includes several policies, which could ensure you are covered and compensated for unforeseen events that may affect your crafting activities.

Public liability insurance for craft fairs

Whether you deal directly with the public by selling your crafts at markets and events or during craft classes, public liability insurance can cover you if a member of the public is injured, or dies, or has their property damaged as a result of your business activities. This might be if you own a physical store where a person falls and injures themselves, for example. If this is the case, you may be liable, and public liability insurance could help cover the cost of legal fees and any compensation claim made against you.

Product liability for crafters

Whether you are a manufacturer, supplier, or both, you may also be held liable for injuries or damage to property caused by your products, which is where product liability insurance comes in. This includes goods, which you give away for free – samples of a beauty product, for example.

Stock cover for crafters

For any business, loss, theft or damage to stock or products can be devastating, even more so when you’ve personally put blood, sweat, and tears into handcrafting those products. Likewise, the loss of the tools, equipment, and raw materials you rely on for your trade could spell disaster if you’re not adequately covered. Contents and stock cover may ensure you’re compensated.

» MORE: A guide to business liability insurance

Why do I need craft insurance?

Whether you do or don’t need insurance for your craft business depends on your situation. However, the one legal requirement is if you employ anyone in your business. If so, you are required to have up to £5 million of employer’s liability insurance cover. The only exception to this is if your employee is a family member or based abroad.

If you do not have staff, whether you need craft insurance will depend on your business circumstances. If you’re worried your craft business might crumble under the weight of a successful claim against it, or the financial cost of lost or stolen stock or equipment, a comprehensive craft insurance policy could be a good idea.

Although there is no legal requirement to have insurance if you’re selling online, you should still consider it. What if a customer claimed compensation because they were injured by a product you sold them or your stock was stolen or damaged?

If you are selling through an online marketplace, check whether you are covered by their insurance policy and, if not, consider taking out your own insurance.

If you sell your products at craft fairs, many organisers will demand proof that you have product liability insurance and public liability insurance before they allow you to set up a stall and sell on their premises.

What does craft insurance cover?

Craft insurance packages can cover you for claims made against your business due to accidents or injuries caused by your crafts, and for loss or theft of, or damage to, your stock and business contents.

The exact level of cover will depend on which insurance products you have chosen to include or not include. You can often customise a craft insurance package to match your specific needs.

What is usually included in craft insurance?

Craft insurance may include the following:

Of course, this list is not exhaustive, so it will be worth choosing more or less plans based on your own business needs.

» MORE: What is product liability insurance?

What isn’t usually included in craft insurance?

You may have the option to add different types of cover to your policy, though they won’t usually be included as standard.

Goods in transit insurance is useful for when your craft products are out for delivery or being transported from and to craft fairs. And especially if most of your business is online, cyber cover can provide compensation if a hack threatens your business operation.

You may also want legal expenses insurance to cover you for any legal proceedings relating to a defective product, and business interruption to compensate you if a disaster temporarily stalls operations.

How much does craft insurance cost?

The cost of your craft insurance policy will be dictated by a number of factors, including:

  • how long you’ve been in operation
  • how many employees you have
  • the scale of your operation
  • whether or not you export your crafts and where to
  • how valuable your crafts are
  • how risky your crafts are to customers

How to choose the best craft insurance policy for you

When taking out a craft insurance policy, you’ll need to ensure the level of cover will protect your business against any unforeseen events it may face. This means conducting an assessment of the risk posed to the public by your products as well as the risks to your business and any employees.

Then it’s time to find a great deal on your craft insurance policy, which you can do using the insurance comparison tool.

Craft insurance FAQs

What type of insurance do crafters need?

While the only legal requirement might be employer’s liability insurance, and only if you employ non-family member staff who are not based abroad.

Crafters may want to consider both public liability insurance and product liability insurance. The first could help protect you from claims by members of the public for injury or death and damage to property caused by your business activities, while the latter can protect you from legal costs and claims for compensation if your goods cause injury, illness or property damage.

You may also want to consider contents cover to compensate you for loss, damage or theft of your business stock, equipment, fixtures and fitting.

Public liability insurance and product liability insurance are separate forms of insurance but these can often be bundled together into one package.

Do I need insurance to sell my crafts in person?

Most craft fairs or markets will require proof of craft stall insurance in the form of public liability insurance and product liability cover up to a certain level before you can sell products.

» MORE: Do I need business insurance?

Do I need business insurance to sell crafts online?

No, on most online craft or ecommerce marketplaces it isn’t mandatory to have insurance in order to sell your products. However, it may be worth considering product liability insurance to provide your business with cover in the event that one of your products causes injury, illness or damage to property. You should check with the individual marketplace about what sort of protection they offer if any.

Do you need insurance to sell on Etsy?

No, like many online craft marketplaces, Etsy doesn’t require sellers to have insurance.

Do I need insurance to make and sell soap?

No, you don’t need insurance to make and sell soap. However, due to the use of allergens and corrosive chemicals, you should definitely consider taking out public liability cover and product liability insurance. These are separate types of policy, but can often be taken out together to provide adequate cover.

Do I need insurance to sell homemade candles?

You don’t need insurance to sell homemade candles. However, customers can still be injured or their property can be damaged by your candles, so public liability insurance and product liability insurance may make sense if you would otherwise not be able to afford the financial costs associated with a claim.

About the author

Henry Williams
Henry is passionate about helping individuals and businesses stay informed. Over the last 8 years, he’s written for startup and small business sites, with a focus on finance, insurance, and websites. Read more
Get a quote

Powered by

Simply Business logo

How this service works

This insurance service is provided by Simply Business on behalf of NerdWallet Ltd.

The data you supply and submit is collected directly by Simply Business who are responsible for the handling and processing of that data.

By using their quote system you are agreeing to their terms and conditions and privacy policy which can be found here.

Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7NG.