Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.
Best for frequent travellers who covet free stays and service upgrades at some of the world’s most luxurious hotels.
With its elevated earn rates on both eligible bookings and everyday purchases, the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card offers cardmembers ample opportunity to earn rewards at more than 7,000 hotels.
Learn more about how we evaluate cards.
Marriott Bonvoy® American Express®* Card
Interest Rates19.99% / 22.99%19.99% for purchases, 21.99% for cash advances.
Rewards Rate2x-5x Points5x points every $1 in eligible Card purchases at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy®. 2x points for every $1 in all other Card purchases.*
Intro Offer50,000 PointsNew Marriott Bonvoy® American Express®* Cardmembers earn 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy® points after you charge $1,500 in purchases to your Card in your first three months of Cardmembership. Subject to change at any time.
The Marriott Bonvoy® American Express®* Card helps travellers earn free stays and experiences at some of the world’s ritziest hotels, restaurants and spas, while also providing helpful insurance options and flexibility in how Marriott Bonvoy® points can be used.
- Solid earn rates should help members of the Marriott Bonvoy® program score free hotel stays.
- Marriott Bonvoy® points can be transferred to frequent flyer miles with some airlines, including Air Canada’s Aeroplan.
- Access to American Express® Experiences and several varieties of insurance.
- You’ll need to be a Marriott Bonvoy® member to take advantage of the card’s most valuable benefits.
- American Express isn’t always as widely accepted as some other credit cards, so using the Marriott Bonvoy® American Express®* — and collecting points — everywhere you go might not always be possible.
Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card pros and cons
- Receive an Annual Free Night Award each year on your membership anniversary.
- Points can be transformed into frequent flyer miles with some airlines, including Air Canada’s Aeroplan.
- Cardholders get several varieties of insurance, including flight delay, lost or stolen baggage, and travel accident.
- Only Marriott Bonvoy members can take advantage of the card’s most valuable benefits.
- American Express isn’t always as widely accepted as some other credit cards, so using the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card — and collecting points — might not be possible everywhere you go.
Mariott Bonvoy American Express Card rewards
- Welcome offer: 50,000 Mariott Bonvoy points.
- How to earn the welcome offer: Charge $1,500 in net purchases in your first three months of membership.
- How to earn ongoing rewards: Earn 5 points for every $1 spent in eligible card purchases at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy; earn 2 points for every $1 spent in all other card purchases.
Total value of the Mariott Bonvoy American Express Card welcome offer
If you charge $1,500 in net purchases to your Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card in the first three months of card membership, you’ll earn a welcome bonus of 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points. This offer is subject to change at any time.
Based on NerdWallet’s analysis, each Marriott Bonvoy point is worth about 0.8 cents when redeemed for Marriott Bonvoy hotel stays. That means the welcome bonus would be worth approximately $400 using this redemption method.
The annual value of your Marriott Bonvoy American Express card depends on how often you use it and the types of purchases you make.
Let’s say you typically spend $5,000 at Marriott Bonvoy properties and charge another $20,000 to your Marriott Bonvoy Amex every year. Your hotel purchases would result in 25,000 points and your other purchases would earn you 40,000 points. That’s 65,000 points in a year, which would be worth about $520, if redeemed for Mariott Bonvoy hotel stays.
But you also receive a free night each year worth up to 35,000 points. That stay would be worth approximately $280 using our valuation.
Add those values together, subtract the card’s annual fee of $120, and the total value for this particular — and purely hypothetical — year would be $680. That’s not bad, but it will require a bit of spending on your part.
Points value breakdown
NerdWallet searched more than 60 data points analyzing the cost of Marriott Bonvoy hotel stays in 2022. Based on our analysis, the average value of 1 Marriott Bonvoy point is worth 0.82 cents.
More specifically, you can expect to get around:
- 0.72 cents in value per Marriott Bonvoy point when booking stays 15 days in advance
- 0.932 cents in value per Marriott Bonvoy point when booking stays 4 months in advance
However, the value of Marriott Bonvoy points increases significantly when transferred to partners. For example, you can expect a value around:
- 1.86 cents per point when you transfer to American Express (5 American Express Membership Rewards points = 6 Marriott Bonvoy points), and
- 3.78 cents per point when you transfer to Aeroplan (3 Marriott Bonvoy points = 1 Aeroplan points)
Because of the value that comes from these transfer options, we give Marriott Bonvoy points an adjusted weighted average value of 1.82 cents per point.
Is the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card worth it?
If you’re a Marriott Bonvoy member who travels frequently and isn’t intimidated by the idea of transferring reward points between partners, the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card can provide you an opportunity to earn some fairly sweet hotel rewards for a fairly typical annual fee of $120.
Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card full review
The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card is a rewards credit card that allows cardholders to earn Marriott Bonvoy points on all purchases. Those points can be redeemed for free stays at more than 7,000 participating hotels, and used to improve a cardholder’s Marriott Bonvoy status, which can unlock even more benefits.
Benefits of the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card
The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card offers a particularly strong earn rate — five points per dollar spent — on bookings at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program. (And that’s on top of the points you’ll already earn as a Marriott Bonvoy member.) You’ll also earn two points for every dollar spent on all other purchases.
Marriott Bonvoy points can conveniently be redeemed for hotel stays and room upgrades, or used to pay for any items or services that can be charged to your room. They can also be used to pay for merchandise and experiences, or transferred to other loyalty programs, like Air Canada’s Aeroplan, which adds flexibility to how you choose to use your points.
Cardmembers are granted complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status, which offers 10% more points on eligible purchases, priority late checkout and member rates at participating hotels. You’ll be able to upgrade to Gold Status after charging $30,000 in net purchases to your card each year, or when you combine 10 qualifying paid nights within one calendar year with the 15 Elite Night Credits you’ll also receive each year you’re a cardholder.
The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card also grants access to American Express Experiences, a collection of special dining, shopping and wellness events, and American Express Front Of The Line, which can help cardholders score presale and reserved tickets for concerts or the next big game.
Drawbacks of the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card
A drawback of all American Express cards is that they aren’t as readily accepted by retailers as Visa and Mastercard, though you can use American Express Maps to find stores that accept Amex cards.
If you’re not yet a member of the Marriott Bonvoy program, you won’t get optimum use out of the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card. You can still earn Marriott Bonvoy points on all purchases, but not at a 5x rate, and you’ll be limited in how you can redeem them.
The travel insurance coverage offered with the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card, while generous, isn’t as comprehensive as what some other credit cards offer.
Is American Express reliable and secure?
With American Express being one of the world’s biggest credit card issuers, their products typically provide a secure way of making purchases in person and online.
If someone steals your credit card information or makes fraudulent purchases with your card, American Express’s Fraud Protection Guarantee ensures you won’t be held responsible for any of the charges.
There have been minor security scares involving American Express customer information in recent years, but they were either the result of security breaches at third-party sites where American Express customer data has been stored, or the work of disgruntled former employees.
American Express customer satisfaction ratings
American Express ranks third (and above industry average) in customer satisfaction with credit card issuers, according to J.D. Power’s 2022 Canada Credit Card Satisfaction Study, a survey of 6,478 cardholders in Canada. Card issuers were rated on their benefits and services, communication, card terms, customer support and rewards. The credit card issuers with the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the survey were Tangerine Bank and Canadian Tire.
At the time of this writing, American Express had a:
- Trustpilot rating of 1.6 out of a possible 5 stars, based on more than 2,700 reviews.
- Better Business Bureau rating of 1.08 out of a possible 5 stars, according to more than 300 customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau website, at the time of this writing. American Express is accredited and has an A+ rating from the BBB itself..
- Customer Service Scoreboard rating of 36.92 out of a possible 200, based on more than 310 ratings.
Marriott Bonvoy Amex Card details and eligibility
Who qualifies for the Marriott Bonvoy Amex Card?
To apply for the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card, you must:
- Be a Canadian resident and have a Canadian credit file.
- Be the age of majority in the province or territory where you live.
Approximate credit score needed for approval
Canadian credit card issuers rarely disclose required credit scores, which makes it hard to know your chances of approval when comparing credit cards. It also means any score suggestion we make would be our best guess — which may not be accurate and could result in card application rejections. We don’t want that.
Suggesting that you’d need a “good” or “excellent” score is also confusing, because the meaning of those terms can vary depending on the rating system card issuers use.
Instead, we’ll tell you what we do know: Higher scores have better chances of approval — that’s true no matter what type of credit you’re applying for.
Want to learn more? Visit our “What Credit Score is Needed for a Credit Card?” page.
» MORE: How to Check Your Credit Score
American Express doesn’t publicly disclose annual income requirements for its Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card. You must provide your annual income during the application process, which may be a factor during card approval
Who should get the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card?
The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card will be most beneficial for existing members of the Marriott Bonvoy program, or those who are willing to become members. Non-members can still redeem their points for non-hotel related rewards, like merchandise and travel, but the real earning potential will come from maximizing your 5x earn rate on Marriott Bonvoy bookings.
How to know if the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card is right for you
If you’re a Marriott Bonvoy member who travels frequently and typically uses your card to pay for that travel, you’ll maximize your points-earning potential and set yourself up for free stays at thousands of premium hotels worldwide.
How to apply for the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card
You can complete the application for the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card from the American Express website:
- Select the Apply Now button from the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card page.
- Review the card’s terms and conditions and select Agree and Begin to continue.
- Enter your personal details, including your full name, date of birth, phone number, email address and residential address.
- Input your financial information, including your annual personal income, household income and employment details.
- Choose a four-digit PIN.
- Review the information you’ve supplied and submit your application.
How to maximize the benefits of the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card
To get the most out of your Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card:
- Use your card to make everyday purchases. You can earn two Marriott Bonvoy points for every dollar spent, so it’s not only Marriott Bonvoy hotel bookings that can help you claim rewards.
- Charge $1,500 to your card in the first three months. This will ensure that you earn your 50,000 welcome bonus points.
- Stay at participating hotels as frequently as possible. You’ll earn 5x the points on bookings at Marriott Bonvoy hotels, plus what you already earn as a Marriott Bonvoy member.
- Pay off your credit card balance on time. If you miss payments, your interest rate on purchases will increase from 19.99% to 23.99%.
Alternatives to the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card
The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card offers Marriott Bonvoy members a nice suite of benefits, but if you’re looking for a wider range of rewards that apply to flights or airport experiences, you may want to consider some of Canada’s best travel credit cards.
And if you’re not interested in becoming a Marriott Bonvoy member, there are plenty of other credit card reward programs worth investigating.
Reasons you might want a different card
The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card offers solid earn rates on eligible hotel bookings and everyday purchases, but it won’t be a fit if:
- You don’t want to be a Marriott Bonvoy member.
- You don’t travel often enough to make use of the hotel benefits.
- You don’t use your credit card often enough to generate a significant number of points.
Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card vs American Express Cobalt Card
|Mariott Bonvoy American Express||American Express Cobalt Card|
|Annual fee||$120||$155.88 ($12.99 per month)|
|Rewards earn rates||5x points every $1 in eligible card purchases at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy. |
2x points for every $1 in all other Card purchases.
|5x on eats and drinks.
3x on streaming subscriptions.
2x on travel and transit.
1x on everything else.
|Welcome offer||50,000 Mariott Bonvoy points.||Up to 30,000 points.|
|Transfer points frequent flyer and other loyalty programs?||Yes||Yes|
Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card facts
|Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card|
|Card Type||Rewards credit card|
|Cash advance APR||21.99%|
|Penalty APR||23.99% if you miss two separate payments in any 12 month period; 26.99% if you miss three or more separate payments in any 12 month period.|
|Balance transfer||Up to 3% of the amount of each balance transfer.|
|Cash advance||$2.75 per transaction. Also, a 21.99% interest rate is charged on cash advances.|
|Foreign transaction||2.5% of the transaction amount.|
|Reward Earn Rates|
|Signup Bonus or Welcome Offer||Receive a 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy point welcome bonus after you charge $1,500 in purchases to your card in the first three months. Offer is subject to change at any time.|
|Rewards and benefits||Points can be redeemed for free stays at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels, merchandise and other experiences. They can also be transferred to other loyalty programs, including Aeroplan.|
|One free stay every year: Enjoy an Annual Free Night Award after your card anniversary each year.
Earn points twice: Earn 5 points for every dollar spent at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties, as well as the points you already earn as a Marriott Bonvoy member.
Complimentary Silver Elite Status with Marriott Bonvoy: Enjoy service upgrades, earn more points and get one step closer to Gold Elite Status.
Complimentary Elite Night Credits: Receive 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year to use towards attaining the next level of Elite status.
Transfer and earn: Receive 15,000 bonus points from Marriott Bonvoy when you transfer 60,000 points to a frequent flyer program.
Front of the Line perks: Access exclusive ticketing presales for concerts, shows, restaurants and special events.
American Express Experiences: Gain access to advanced film screenings, food festivals, private shopping experiences, and curated cardholder offers through the American Express Experiences program.
Amex Priority Lines: Skip the lineups at popular Toronto event venues like the Budweiser Stage and the Royal Alexandra Theatre.
Exclusive lounges and bars: Relax in exclusive American Express lounges when you take in a Toronto show at the Princess of Wales and Ed Mirvish Theatres.
|Extended warranty||Up to one additional year.|
|Purchase protection||90 days.|
|Travel accident||Up to $500,000.|
|Flight delay||Up to $500 for necessary accommodations, restaurant expenses and sundries.|
|Baggage delay||Up to $500 for essential clothing and sundry items.|
|Lost or stolen baggage||Up to $500 of coverage per trip for all insured persons.|
|Hotel burglary||Up to $500 of coverage for personal items (excluding cash).|
|Rental car theft/damage||For up to 45 days.|
NerdWallet Canada rates credit cards according to overall consumer value and their suitability for specific kinds of consumers. Factors in our evaluation methodology include annual and other fees, rewards rates, the earning structure (for example, flat-rate rewards versus bonus categories), redemption options, bonus offers for new cardholders, introductory and ongoing APRs, and other noteworthy features such as airline or hotel perks or the ability to transfer points.
Frequently asked questions about the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card
If you are a Marriott Bonvoy American Express cardmember, you earn 5 Marriott Bonvoy points for every dollar spent at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels and 2 points for every dollar spent on everything else.
Yes. More than 200 hotels in Canada participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
While credit card travel insurance is sometimes free and automatic for Canadian cardholders, there are important coverage limits and caveats to understand.