Menu Toggle
  1. Home
  2. Personal Finance
  3. How to Pay Income Tax if You’re Self-Employed in Canada
Published December 21, 2022

How to Pay Income Tax if You’re Self-Employed in Canada

There are several taxes self-employed business owners and freelancers must pay in Canada. Plan to set aside 25%-30% of your annual income to pay them

If you’re self-employed in Canada — meaning you earn income from a sole proprietorship or partnership — you’re responsible for tracking your income and expenses and paying your taxes every year to the Canada Revenue Agency.

Self-employed taxes are a bit more complicated than traditional income taxes, so be sure you understand what to expect before this year’s tax filing deadline.

Are you considered self-employed for tax purposes?

The Canadian government considers you to be a self-employed individual if you fall under any of these categories:

  • You carry on a trade, profession, or own a small business as a sole proprietor or individual contractor.
  • You are a member of a partnership that carries on a trade or business.
  • You are otherwise in business for yourself (including part-time and freelancing).
  • You participate in the platform economy, which includes economic and societal activities, sometimes called side hustles, facilitated by the use of technology such as the internet and mobile applications.

Types of self-employed taxes

If you’re self-employed, you’re responsible for paying the following taxes on your self-employment or business income:

  • Federal income tax.
  • Provincial income tax.
  • Canada Pension Plan (CPP) contributions
  • Employment insurance contributions if you opt into the program.
  • Goods and services tax, harmonized sales tax and /or provincial sales tax if applicable.

You must report your entire income on your tax return or face penalties. Remember, filing your taxes is also the only way to be considered for government benefits such as provincial or territorial tax credits, the GST/HST tax credit, and the Canada Child Benefit.

Nerd tip: It’s recommended that, as a self-employed individual, you save 25%-30% of your annual income for tax purposes.

How to calculate self-employed taxes

Tax rates

Canada has a graduated income tax system, so your tax rate depends on how much you earn each year. You won’t know the exact amount of tax owed until you prepare your tax return and take into account all expenses and deductions. But you can make an estimate based on tax rates and income tax brackets that change every year.

Federal tax rates for 2022:

  • 15% on the first $50,197 of taxable income, plus
  • 20.5% on the portion of taxable income over $50,197 up to $100,392, plus
  • 26% on the portion of taxable income over $100,392 up to $155,625, plus
  • 29% on the portion of taxable income over $155,625 up to $221,708, plus
  • 33% on taxable income over $221,708.

Provincial tax rates vary based on the province or territory in which you live.

CPP contributions

All working Canadians over the age of 18 (outside of those in Quebec, which has its own pension plan) must contribute to the Canada Pension Plan if their net self-employment income and/or pensionable employment income is more than $3,500.

Generally, employed individuals pay half of the CPP and their employers cover the rest. However, self-employed individuals are responsible for contributing the whole amount themselves. CPP contribution rates change every year. For 2022, you would contribute 11.4% of your total self-employed income up to a maximum of $6,999.60.


The last tax payment that you may need to worry about is GST/HST. Once you earn more than $30,000 during any three consecutive months or four consecutive calendar quarters you lose your “small supplier” status. This means you must register for a GST/HST number and begin charging, collecting and paying GST/HST.

At this point, you may also be eligible to claim an GST/HST tax credit, which reimburses you for the GST/HST you paid on goods or services related to your self-employment.

Tax deductions for self-employed workers

When you’re self-employed, you can deduct certain business expenses from your income, thereby lowering your taxable income and the amount of federal taxes you pay. Make sure to keep all the receipts for any expenses you want to claim.

These types of expenses can include, but are not limited, to the following:

  • Advertising expenses such as business cards or online marketing.
  • Vehicle expenses such as maintenance, insurance, and gas.
  • Banking fees.
  • Office supplies.
  • Cell phone and utilities.
  • Professional fees.
  • Travel.
  • Certain meals and entertainment costs.

The CRA website has a list of common business expenses you can write off on your taxes.

How to file self-employed taxes in Canada

As a self-employed individual, you have to file:

  • The T1 General Form, also called the Income Tax and Benefit Return, that Canadians use to file personal tax returns.
  • Form T-2125, also known as the Statement of Business or Professional Activities.
  • A separate GST/HST return if you are registered to collect GST/HST.

You can file your annual tax return using an online tax program, but make sure to choose CRA-approved tax software. Wealthsimple Tax and TurboTax are two popular tax programs that offer options for self-employed Canadians.

You can hire an accountant to do your taxes, too. This will cost more than filing the returns yourself with an online program, but it might be less stressful. Just make sure you have all your forms, receipts and other documentation in order.

You can also take advantage of free support offered by the CRA through its Liaison Officer service to help you better understand your tax obligations. This can be done virtually over the phone or via videoconference. You can learn more about this service on the CRA website.

Important tax deadlines for 2022

Self-employed Canadians have until June 15 to file their annual tax returns for the previous year, however, they must pay any taxes owed by April 30, the same payment deadline for employed individuals).

If you expect to owe more than $3,000 in annual income tax ($1,800 if you’re in Quebec), you‘ll need to pay your taxes in quarterly installments. These installments are typically due on the 15th of March, June, September, and December every year.

Make sure to keep on top of your taxes and pay them fully on time as per your schedule, whether it’s quarterly or annual, to avoid any interest charges or penalties.

Frequently asked questions about self-employment taxes

How much can you earn before paying self-employment tax in Canada?

If you generate an income by providing a service or selling a product, all of that income is subject to taxation.

Are work clothes tax deductible for self-employed people in Canada?

No, clothing is not an expense you can typically claim on your taxes when self-employed in Canada.

About the Author

Hannah Logan

Hannah Logan is a writer and blogger who specializes in personal finance and travel. You can follow her personal travel blog or find her on Instagram @hannahlogan21.

Read More
8 Boring-but-Brilliant Uses for Your Tax Refund

8 Boring-but-Brilliant Uses for Your Tax Refund

Is your 2021 tax refund burning a hole in your pocket? Or maybe this year’s refund is already spent, but you’re feeling regret about how you used it. While it’s fun to splurge a tax refund on something fun, like a vacation or shopping spree, there are some more strategic — OK, boring — uses […]

Quick Answers to 10 Common Tax Questions

Quick Answers to 10 Common Tax Questions

Most Canadians must pay taxes, but far fewer are completely clear on the nuts and bolts of how the process works, what exactly gets taxed, and which credits and deductions might be available to them. Because the idea of studying Canadian tax law is far from appealing, we’ve assembled easy-to-understand answers to some of Canada’s […]

Does Canada Have a Work-From-Home Tax Credit?

Does Canada Have a Work-From-Home Tax Credit?

Does Canada have a work-from-home tax credit? That’s a question many Canadians may be asking if they’re approaching another tax season as part- or full-time remote employees.  The short answer is yes. Your home office expenses can help reduce the amount of tax you pay. The full answer includes a few different conditions and caveats […]

Tax Credits in Canada: What They Are and How to Use Them

Tax Credits in Canada: What They Are and How to Use Them

Taxes in Canada are calculated based on income at both the federal and provincial level, but some years you may wind up paying the government less than what your tax bracket dictates. When that happens, tax credits generally deserve some of the…well, credit. Tax credits act like a discount on your overall income tax bill. […]

Back To Top