Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card
Loyalty pays, especially if you carry the Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card.
This $0-annual-fee cash-back card earns a dazzling rewards rate on gas, groceries and wholesale clubs, if — and this is a big if — you keep more than a combined $20,000 with Bank of America® and Merrill Lynch®. If that’s not the case, the card will fetch only so-so rewards. Another cash-back card might be a better fit.
- Recommended Credit Score
- 690850Good - Excellent
- Card Details
- No annual fee
- Cash bonus offer
- Cash rewards
- If you're a big spender with excellent credit and willing to pay an annual fee, there are cards with higher rewards
- APR: 14.49% - 24.49% Variable APR
- Penalty APR: up to 29.99% APR
Bonus Offers$150 online cash rewards bonus after you spend at least $500 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening.
- 0% on Purchases for 12 billing cycles and 0% on Balance Transfers for 12 billing cycles for balance transfers made in the first 60 days
- Additional Information
- No annual fee
- $150 online cash rewards bonus after you spend at least $500 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn 1% cash back on every purchase, 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs, and 3% on gas for the first $2,500 in combined grocery/wholesale club/gas purchases each quarter
- No changing categories and no expiration on rewards
- 0% Introductory APR for 12 billing cycles for purchases AND for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days, then, 14.49% - 24.49% Variable APR. 3% fee (min $10) applies to balance transfers
- Get a 10% customer bonus every time you redeem your cash back into a Bank of America® checking or savings account
- If you're a Preferred Rewards client, you can increase that bonus to 25% - 75%
- Easily add your Mastercard® credit card to any digital wallet for a simple, secure, and convenient way to pay online, in-app, and in-store
Why you should get the Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card
You’re a loyal Bank of America® or Merrill Lynch® customer
The Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card’s regular rewards rate — that is, the rate earned without loyalty bonuses — isn’t all that compelling. It gets:
- 3% on gas and 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs (up to the first $2,500 in combined grocery/wholesale club/gas purchases each quarter)
- 1% cash back on everything else
The situation improves slightly when you have a bank or investment account with Bank of America® or Merrill Lynch®. With one of these, it’s possible to clinch a 10% bonus on these rewards upon redemption.
But the card really goes from pumpkin to sparkling carriage if you can qualify for the Bank of America® Preferred Rewards program. This means maintaining a combined balance of over $20,000 or more in Bank of America®, Merrill Edge® and/or Merrill Lynch® accounts. Above that threshold, effective rewards rates soar by 25% to 75%.
|Combined balance required to qualify||Effective gas rewards rate||Effective grocery store/ wholesale club rewards rate||Effective rewards rate on everything else|
|Gold (25% boost)||$20,000 to $49,999||3.75%||2.5%||1.25%|
|Platinum (50% boost)||$50,000 to $99,999||4.5%||3%||1.5%|
|Platinum honors (75% boost)||$100,000+||5.25%||3.5%||1.75%|
You regularly shop for gas and groceries
With any tiered rewards card, the amount of cash back earned depends on the amount spent in bonus categories. The Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card is no different. It’s a strong choice if you frequently fill up at the pump and shop at grocery stores or wholesale clubs.
The card’s straightforward tiered rewards structure also puts it ahead of some of the competition. There’s no need to worry about “opting in” on quarterly rotating categories every three months, as some cash-back cards require.
You want to carry a balance interest-free for a time
The Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card’s 0% APR period offers plenty of time to pay down a major purchase interest-free, if needed. It boasts a decent offer: 0% on Purchases for 12 billing cycles and 0% on Balance Transfers for 12 billing cycles for balance transfers made in the first 60 days, and then the ongoing APR of 14.49% - 24.49% Variable APR.
Just be sure to make on-time payments. A single late payment could cut the card’s introductory period short.
Why you should consider another card
You want a bigger sign-up bonus
Chasing big sign-up rewards? The Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card isn’t the best option. It comes with a modest welcome bonus: $150 online cash rewards bonus after you spend at least $500 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening..
Try the Discover it® - Cashback Match™ instead. This card offers a sign-up bonus that could be much larger: Discover will match ALL the cash back earned at the end of your first year, automatically. It also offers 5% cash back on rotating categories and charges an annual fee of $0.
You want unlimited rewards
The spending caps on the Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card are a huge buzzkill if you spend more than a combined $2,500 on gas and at grocery stores and wholesale clubs each quarter. After exceeding those spending caps, the rewards rates on those categories drop to just 1% cash back for the rest of the quarter.
The Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer would be a better choice. It offers an unlimited 1% cash back on every dollar spent, and 1% back on every dollar paid and charges an annual fee of $0. A NerdWallet analysis also found that this card generally outperformed the Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card in earnings.
In addition, you can see how this card compares with other cash-back cards by visiting our top credit cards page.
Is the Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card right for you?
If you don’t qualify for the Preferred Rewards program, the Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card is OK, but not the best. Better cash-back cards are out there, with no strings attached. But if you already socked away a tidy sum with Bank of America® or Merrill Lynch®, the card could offer outstanding value.