Advertiser Disclosure

Mortgage Relief Programs for Homeowners Hit by the Coronavirus Crisis

Forbearance and loan modifications are mortgage relief programs that can help if you're facing reduced pay or unemployment due to quarantines, shutdowns or illness.
July 1, 2020
Managing Your Mortgage, Mortgages
Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.

The coronavirus outbreak has left many Americans dealing with reduced income or unemployment. In response, the federal government enacted the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, which in part directs lenders to provide mortgage relief options to affected homeowners.

Some individual lenders and state governments are also taking independent action to provide mortgage relief to homeowners.

NOTE: Due to the number of homeowners impacted by the coronavirus crisis, many lenders are experiencing unprecedented call volumes. Check or log in to your lender’s website to see the most current customer service options.

Lender (click name for more details)Contact information
Bank of America800-669-6650
BB&T (Truist)800-226-5228
BNC National Bank800-262-2265
Caliber Home Loans800-401-6587
Carrington Mortgage800-561-4567
Citizens Bank800-456-8855
Fairway Independent Mortgage800-201-7544
Flagstar Bank800-393-4887
Freedom Mortgage855-690-5900
Guaranteed Rate800-263-4159 (if you receive statements from Chicago, IL)
866-397-7238 (if you receive statements from another city or are not sure where your mortgage is serviced)
Guild Mortgage800-365-4884
LoanDepot877-420-4526 (if you receive statements from Newark, NJ)
866-258-6572 (if you receive statements from Chicago, IL, or are not sure where your mortgage is serviced)
Mr. Cooper888-480-2432
Navy Federal Credit Union800-258-5948
NBKC Bank866-397-5370
Network Capital800-300-0018
New American Funding800-893-5304
PrimeLending800-597-0233 or [email protected]
Quicken Loans800-863-4332
Rocket Mortgage by Quicken Loans888-452-8179
SunTrust (Truist)877-820-2103
U.S. Bank800-365-7900
Veterans First (WinTrust)866-718-7899
Veterans United833-593-5026
Vylla (Carrington)800-561-4567
Wells Fargo800-219-9739


If you’re worried about paying your mortgage during the COVID-19 outbreak, the mortgage relief programs below may be able to help.

Verify your mortgage type

The kind of mortgage you have may determine what type of assistance is available to you.

  • The government-sponsored enterprises, or GSEs, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac deal with conventional loans.
  • The Federal Housing Administration insures FHA loans.
  • The Department of Veterans Affairs guarantees VA loans.
  • The Department of Agriculture guarantees USDA loans

All of these mortgage types are eligible for relief under the CARES Act. Each of these entities has its own assistance programs, too.

You can find out if your conventional mortgage is owned by Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae using the loan look-up tools on their websites.

To verify whether you have an FHA, VA or USDA loan, find your closing documents (either hard copies or electronic versions) and look for the Closing Disclosure. In the upper right of the first page of this document, under “Loan Information,” you’ll see checkboxes indicating your loan type: conventional, FHA, VA or other. If you can’t locate this document, try looking at your monthly mortgage statement or contacting your lender at the phone number listed on the statement.

Regardless of mortgage type, reach out to your lender to discuss relief options. The government is encouraging all lenders to support homeowners who need mortgage assistance due to hardship brought about by the coronavirus.

» MORE: What do Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac do?

Mortgage forbearance programs during the COVID-19 outbreak

Forbearance lets you make a reduced payment or no payment at all for a set amount of time. Interest accrues, and the skipped amount needs to be paid after the forbearance period ends.

The CARES Act requires lenders to offer borrowers up to 180 days’ forbearance, with the option for borrowers to request an additional 180 days’ forbearance or to stop the forbearance at any time. You can be directly or indirectly affected by the COVID-19 outbreak to qualify for forbearance, and you do not have to be delinquent on your mortgage. You can apply before you’ve missed a payment.

Under the terms of the CARES Act, lenders won’t report forbearance to the credit bureaus. “The lender should report it as ‘paying as agreed,'” says Rocke Andrews, current president of the National Association of Mortgage Brokers. Once the forbearance is repaid, Andrews says, “in theory, it shouldn’t affect your ability to refinance or purchase in the future.”

The CARES Act bars lenders from charging additional fees, penalties or interest during forbearance beyond what would have normally accrued.

Here are the mortgage forbearance programs available to homeowners affected by COVID-19:

Freddie Mac

Borrowers are eligible for up to 12 months of forbearance, which will not be reported to credit bureaus. If, at the end of the forbearance term, you’re able to go back to your regular mortgage payments but are unable to pay anything additional, you may be eligible for COVID-19 Payment Deferral. With that deferral, the amount of the forbearance would not accrue interest and would not be due until the end of the mortgage — whether that’s when you sell, refinance or pay off the loan. Even if you are ineligible for deferral, your lender cannot demand a lump sum repayment, and is required to work with you to find a different solution. You can find more info on the Freddie Mac website.

Fannie Mae

Borrowers are eligible for up to 12 months of reduced or suspended mortgage payments. The forbearance won’t be reported to the credit bureaus. Fannie Mae borrowers may also be eligible for a COVID-19 Payment Deferral, which allows the amount of the forbearance to be paid at the end of the mortgage rather than at the end of the forbearance period. No matter what, your lender cannot require you to make a lump sum repayment. See more on Fannie Mae’s website.


In addition to forbearance under the CARES Act, the FHA always has several mortgage relief programs in place. This includes standard mortgage forbearance lasting up to six months and special forbearance for unemployment (which can last a year or more).

At the end of your FHA forbearance term, you may be eligible for HUD’s COVID-19 Standalone Partial Claim. This is a no-fee, no-interest junior lien (a type of second mortgage) that does not have to be paid back until you sell your home, pay off your mortgage or otherwise end the loan. The FHA says it offers other repayment options for homeowners who are ineligible for the Standalone Partial Claim. Lenders can not require a lump sum repayment. Find more info on the Department of Housing and Urban Development website.


Aside from the CARES Act, VA lenders have been encouraged to help borrowers impacted by COVID-19 use existing mortgage relief programs. This includes special forbearance, the duration of which can vary based on the homeowner’s situation. Under the CARES Act, VA lenders cannot require a lump sum repayment at the end of your forbearance and must provide other repayment options. See mortgage assistance information on the VA website.


If your mortgage is backed by the USDA Rural Housing Service and your ability to pay your loan has been affected by the coronavirus, you can receive 180 days’ forbearance. That can be extended another 180 days, if needed. Borrowers facing imminent default can make reduced mortgage payments or go into forbearance for up to 12 months. At the end of the forbearance period, you are not required to make a lump sum repayment. Your lender should contact you with options for repayment when your initial forbearance period is ending. Find more information on the USDA website.

» MORE: What to do if you can’t pay your mortgage

NerdWallet Guide to COVID-19

Get answers to questions about your mortgage, travel, finances — and maintaining your peace of mind.

Loan modification options related to effects of coronavirus

Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae are allowing lenders to offer loan modifications typically reserved for homeowners who are victims of natural disasters. Contact your lender to understand your loan modification options. Depending on your employment outlook, a Flex Modification, which is offered by both GSEs, may be another option. If your mortgage is backed by Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae, the COVID-19 Payment Deferral option described above may be less onerous than a loan modification.

If you have an FHA loan or a VA loan, talk to your lender about loan modification options. Both agencies offer this type of mortgage assistance, but to date, neither has altered their usual programs to specifically assist homeowners impacted by the coronavirus.

» MORE: Understanding mortgage loan modifications

What to do if you don’t have a government-backed mortgage

Not all mortgages are backed by government agencies or the GSEs. Sometimes called “portfolio loans,” these mortgages aren’t resold and are kept in-house by the lender. Portfolio loans — which can include mortgages for self-employed borrowers, borrowers who are not U.S. citizens or borrowers who have experienced a foreclosure — don’t meet Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae’s standards. Lenders may also choose to hang onto a mortgage for other reasons.

If you have a portfolio loan, you are not covered by the CARES Act. However, your lender may have its own assistance programs. Follow the steps below to contact your lender.

» MORE: Mortgage lenders’ responses to coronavirus

Contact your lender to get mortgage relief

No matter what type of loan you have, contact your lender directly if you are worried about paying your mortgage. You don’t have to wait until you are delinquent on your mortgage, and calling before you miss a payment will likely give you more mortgage relief options. If you’ve already missed a payment when you ask for forbearance, Andrews notes, that delinquency will show up on your credit report (and will stay there until the loan is made current again).

Here’s what you should have ready when you contact your lender:

  • An estimate of your current income (and future income, if you anticipate that it may change).
  • An estimate of your current monthly expenses.
  • Your most recent mortgage statement.
  • Documentation of what caused your situation to change.

Beware of third parties offering mortgage assistance. Look for help from your lender, not from other organizations offering mortgage relief. If you want to get advice about talking to your lender, find a HUD-approved financial counselor on the HUD website. These counselors offer no-cost assistance, and can help you feel better prepared to call your lender.

About the author