Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.
Best for travel bugs who want competitive earn rates, extensive insurance coverage and flexibility when redeeming Aeroplan points.
The Amex Aeroplan card will be most valuable for people who frequently eat out/order in and book their vacations directly with Canada’s biggest airline.
Learn more about how we evaluate cards.
American Express® Aeroplan®* Card
Interest RatesCharge Card0% if you pay your balance in full every month, 30% annual interest rate on the remaining amount if you don’t.
Rewards Rate1x-2x Points2x on eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations, 1.5x on eligible Dining and Food Delivery purchases in Canada, and 1x on everything else.
Intro OfferUp to 50,000 PointsNew American Express® Aeroplan®* Cardmembers can earn up to 50,000 Aeroplan points: Earn 35,000 Aeroplan points after spending $3,000 in net purchases on your Card within the first 6 months of Cardmembership. Plus, earn 2,500 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in purchases on your Card for the first 6 months of Cardmembership. That could add up to 15,000 Aeroplan points.
- New American Express® Aeroplan®* Cardmembers can earn up to 50,000 Aeroplan points:
- Earn 35,000 Aeroplan points after spending $3,000 in net purchases on your Card within the first 6 months of Cardmembership.
- Plus, earn 2,500 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in purchases on your Card for the first 6 months of Cardmembership. That could add up to 15,000 Aeroplan points.
- New Cardmembers: Earn up to $1,100 in value within your first year. Spend applies to bonus point offers valued at up to $1,000.
- Standard Earn Rate: Earn 2X the points on eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada®* and Air Canada vacations®*.
- Standard Earn Rate: Earn 1.5X the points on eligible Dining and Food Delivery purchases in Canada.
- Standard Earn Rate: Earn 1X the points on everything else.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free (up to 23kg/50lb) for up to 9 people travelling on the same reservation on Air Canada®* flights.
- Earn 1,000 Status Qualifying Miles and 1 Status Qualifying Segment for every $10,000 in eligible net purchases charged to your Card.
- As an American Express Aeroplan Cardmember, you can often book flight rewards for even fewer points with preferred pricing.
- American Express® Experiences: From music and movies, to specially curated dining and online shopping opportunities, stay connected with all that we have to offer from the comfort of your own home.
- Enjoy an array of travel related insurance benefits such as Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance and up to $500,000 in Travel Accident Insurance.
- 24/7 Customer Service and Emergency Card Replacement.
- As part of our commitment to sustainability, the American Express® Aeroplan®* Card has been made with 70% reclaimed plastic.
- No pre-set spending limit on purchases gives you flexibility. Using a charge card is a great way to manage your finances as the balance must be paid in full each month.*
- *American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link. Conditions apply.
American Express Aeroplan Card pros and cons
- An attractive welcome bonus and earn rate on certain purchases.
- Earn twice the points at participating Aeroplan partner brands and online retailers.
- A variety of travel insurance and purchase protection perks.
- Few travel perks beyond a free first checked bag.
- As a charge card, unpaid balances are subject to a 30% annual interest rate.
American Express Aeroplan Card full review
The American Express Aeroplan Card is a charge card that allows cardmembers to earn Aeroplan points with each purchase.
Air Canada’s Aeroplan is one of the country’s most popular loyalty programs for travel rewards. Points can be redeemed for a variety of items, including flights, hotel stays, car rentals and merchandise.
Is the American Express Aeroplan Card worth it?
The ability to earn points on everyday purchases and turn them into travel rewards has definite value — especially if you’re a frequent Air Canada flyer. Take a few flights with a travelling companion and the money you save on checked bags will exceed the American Express Aeroplan Card’s annual fee. The included insurance coverage is a nice thing to have in your back pocket — quite literally — in case any mishaps arise while you’re on the road.
Point value breakdown
NerdWallet searched more than 75 flights in 2021 and 2022 to determine the average value for Air Canada flights.
- Based on our analysis, the average value of 1 Aeroplan point is 2.23 cents.
More specifically, you can expect to get:
- Around 1.69 cents in value per Aeroplan point for economy class awards on Air Canada.
- Around 2.81 cents in value per Aeroplan point for business class awards on Air Canada flights.
Benefits of the American Express Aeroplan Card
Earning Aeroplan points to offset the cost of travel adventures is an attractive benefit, but the American Express Aeroplan Card offers a few more noteworthy perks.
Cardmembers are covered by a robust suite of travel insurance. The coverage provided, which includes lost or stolen baggage insurance and travel accident insurance, can help smooth out unexpected bumps in the road when away from home.
Taking advantage of the free first checked bag offer saves cardmembers money every time they fly with Air Canada. In addition to the primary cardholder, up to eight travelling companions can check a bag free of charge.
The American Express Aeroplan card provides cardmembers access to a pair of programs designed to enhance nights out on the town. Exclusive dining, sports and entertainment events can be discovered through American Express Experiences, while American Express Front Of The Line helps cardmembers score presale and reserved tickets for concerts or the next big game.
Drawbacks of the American Express Aeroplan Card
A drawback of any American Express card is that they aren’t as readily accepted by retailers as Visa and Mastercard.
Because the American Express Aeroplan card is a charge card rather than a credit card, you’re expected to pay off the entire balance each month. The annual interest rate on unpaid balances is a rather steep 30%.
Travellers searching for a more relaxed airport experience might be disappointed that the card doesn’t provide access to airport lounges. Other American Express cards, like the Aeroplan Reserve, offer lounge access but charge higher annual fees.
The 2x the Aeroplan Points earn rate on Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations purchases is a nice plus, but it only applies if you book travel directly through the airline. Book through a third-party and those extra points won’t be awarded.
Is American Express reliable and secure?
With American Express being one of the world’s biggest credit card issuers, their products typically provide a secure way of making purchases in person and online.
If someone steals your credit card information or makes fraudulent purchases with your card, American Express’s Fraud Protection Guarantee ensures you won’t be held responsible for any of the charges.
There have been minor security scares involving American Express customer information in recent years that were either the result of security breaches at third-party sites storing American Express customer data or the work of disgruntled former employees.
American Express customer satisfaction ratings
American Express ranks third (and above industry average) in customer satisfaction with credit card issuers, according to J.D. Power’s 2022 Canada Credit Card Satisfaction Study, a survey of 6,478 cardholders in Canada . Card issuers were rated on their benefits and services, communication, card terms, customer support and rewards. The credit card issuers with the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the survey were Tangerine Bank and Canadian Tire.
At the time of this writing, American Express had a Trustpilot rating of 1.6 out of a possible 5 stars, based on more than 2,900 reviews.
At the time of this writing, the company had a Better Business Bureau rating of 1.06 out of a possible 5 stars, based on more than 300 reviews.
At the time of this writing, the company had a Customer Service Scoreboard rating of 36.90 out of a possible 200, based on over 300 ratings.
Amex Aeroplan Card details and eligibility
Who qualifies for the American Express Aeroplan Card?
To apply for the American Express Aeroplan Card, you must:
- Be a Canadian resident and have a Canadian credit file.
- Be the age of majority in the province or territory where you live.
Approximate credit score needed for approval
Canadian credit card issuers rarely disclose required credit scores, which makes it hard to know your chances of approval when comparing credit cards. It also means any score suggestion we make would be our best guess — which may not be accurate and could result in card application rejections. We don’t want that.
Suggesting that you’d need a “good” or “excellent” score would also be confusing, because the meaning of those terms can vary depending on the rating system card issuers use.
Instead, we’ll tell you what we do know: higher scores have better chances of approval — that’s true no matter what type of credit you’re applying for. Visit our “What Credit Score is Needed for a Credit Card?” page to learn more.
» MORE: How to Check Your Credit Score
There is no publicly available minimum income requirement for the American Express Aeroplan card.
Who should get the American Express Aeroplan Card?
Because its higher earn rates are attached to dining and Air Canada purchases, the American Express Aeroplan card will be most valuable for people who frequently eat out/order in and book their vacations directly with Canada’s biggest airline.
How to know if the American Express Aeroplan Card is right for you
The American Express Aeroplan card might be a good choice if you’re looking for a rewards card that can help reduce the cost of your next adventure.
But it is a charge card, which means you’re expected to pay off your entire balance every month. If that doesn’t sound like something you’d be comfortable with, keep looking.
» MORE: Best Aeroplan Rewards Cards in Canada
Value of the American Express Aeroplan Card’s welcome offer: $1,100+
In the first year, new cardmembers can earn $1,100 or more in value, including:
- Up to 50,000 bonus Aeroplan points (worth up to $1,000).
- Free first checked bags for two people flying round-trip in the first year ($120).
How to apply for the Amex Aeroplan Card
The application process for the American Express Aeroplan card is fairly straightforward:
- Visit the American Express CA home page.
- Select the card you wish to apply for.
- Read the product information, then read and agree to the card’s requirements.
- Provide your personal information, including your name, address and date of birth. Entering your Social Insurance Number is optional but encouraged.
- Enter your employment and income details.
- Confirm your information.
- Read and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Submit your application.
How to maximize the Amex Aeroplan Card’s benefits
To get the most out of your American Express Aeroplan card:
- Hit all the spending targets in the first six months to ensure you receive your full bonus of 50,000 Aeroplan points.
- When booking travel with Air Canada using your card, deal directly with the airline and not a third-party booking site. You’ll earn two points for every dollar spent directly with Air Canada.
- Pay off your balance in full every month. Carrying a balance that gets charged an annual rate of 30% interest can cost you more than your benefits are worth.
Alternatives to the American Express Aeroplan Card
If Aeroplan points don’t appeal as a reward, numerous card alternatives exist, including travel reward cards, cash-back cards, cards with no annual fees and more.
Reasons you might want a different card
Some travellers may want more perks than the American Express Aeroplan card provides. Others may not be comfortable using a charge card that requires them to pay their full balance every month. And if you don’t dine out often, you may not get much value from the card’s elevated earn rates on restaurant and food delivery purchases.
American Express Aeroplan Card vs TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card
Both of these cards earn Aeroplan points but eligibility criteria and earn rates vary.
|American Express Aeroplan Card||TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card|
|Minimum credit score||Not known.||Not known.|
|Minimum annual income||Not known.||$60,000 annual personal income or $100,000 household annual income is required.|
|Earn rates||2x the Aeroplan points on eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations.|
1.5x the points on eligible dining and food delivery purchases.
1x the points on all other eligible purchases.
|1.5 points for every $1 spent on groceries, gas and Air Canada purchases, like flights.
1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
American Express Aeroplan Card facts
|American Express Aeroplan Card|
|Card Type||Travel credit card|
|Regular/purchase APR||The American Express Aeroplan card is a charge card, which means you’re expected to pay off your entire balance each month. Any balance that isn’t paid off will be charged a 30% annual rate of interest.|
|Balance transfer||No balance transfer fee. As a charge card, it isn’t designed for cardmembers to carry a balance from month to month.|
|Cash advance||Either 3% of the amount of each advance or $0.75, whichever is greater.|
|Foreign transaction||2.5% for each charge.|
|Reward Earn Rates|
|Signup Bonus or Welcome Offer||Earn 35,000 Aeroplan points by spending $3,000 in net purchases within the first six months of cardmembership.
Earn 15,000 Aeroplan points by spending $500 in each of the first six months of cardmembership.
|Rewards and benefits||2x the Aeroplan points on eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations.
1.5x the points on eligible dining and food delivery purchases.
1x the points on all other eligible purchases.
The most significant rewards offered by the American Express Aeroplan Card are the points that can be used to pay for future travel excursions, including flights, car rentals and hotel stays.
|Free first checked bag for cardmembers and up to eight travelling companions.
Access to American Express Experiences and Front Of The Line.
Exclusive offers on shopping, dining, travel and more.
|Travel Insurance||Flight delay insurance: Up to $500 for accommodation, food and sundry expenses when delayed or denied boarding for four hours or more.
Baggage delay insurance: Up to $500 for essential purchases if checked baggage is delayed for six or more hours.
Lost or stolen baggage insurance: Up to $500 per trip for loss or damage to baggage during transit when flights are paid for using the American Express Aeroplan Card.
Hotel burglary insurance: Up to $500 in coverage against the loss of personal items if your accommodation is burglarized.
Travel accident insurance: Up to $500,000 in common carrier accidental death and dismemberment insurance for trips paid for using the American Express Aeroplan Card.
|Extended warranty||Up to one additional year.|
|Purchase protection||90 days from the date of purchase, up to a total of $1,000 per occurrence.|
|Mobile Device Protection||Not offered.|
|Rental Car Theft & Damage||Coverage for theft, loss and damage of a rental car with an MSRP of up to $85,000 on rentals of 48 days or less when fully charged to the American Express Aeroplan Card.|
NerdWallet Canada rates credit cards according to overall consumer value and their suitability for specific kinds of consumers. Factors in our evaluation methodology include annual and other fees, rewards rates, the earning structure (for example, flat-rate rewards versus bonus categories), redemption options, bonus offers for new cardholders, introductory and ongoing APRs, and other noteworthy features such as airline or hotel perks or the ability to transfer points.
Frequently asked questions about American Express Aeroplan Card
In Canada, American Express offers three different Aeroplan cards: the American Express Aeroplan Card, the American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card and the American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card.
The American Express Aeroplan Card’s annual fee is $120. Additional cards cost $50 each.
Best American Express Cards in Canada
Among the best American Express cards in Canada, you’ll find options for travel, cash back, business and more. Earn Aeroplan, Air Mile and Membership Rewards points.
How to Activate an American Express Card
Did you recently apply for an American Express credit card that has arrived at your home? Then you must be eager to begin using it so you can start earning rewards points. However, before making purchases, you need to activate your American Express card. Here’s how. What is an American Express card? American Express is […]
19 Best Aeroplan Credit Cards in Canada for 2023
The best Aeroplan credit cards in Canada earn points for Air Canada’s loyalty program on every purchase. Aeroplan points have an average value of 1.69 cents per point.
Popular Loyalty Programs for Canadians Who Love to Travel
Travelling can be expensive, but one easy way to offset your costs is to use a travel credit card. Some people prefer flexible cards that let you redeem your points for any type of travel. However, if you’re the type of person who likes to maximize your value, it can be well worth it to […]