Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.
Best for travel lovers who want a flashy card with flexible rewards points and robust insurance coverage.
If you frequently spend at the grocery store, gas pumps or drugstore, you’ll be able to make the most of this credit card’s rewards program and benefits.
American Express® Gold Rewards Card
Interest Rates20.99% / 21.99%20.99% on purchases, 21.99% on cash advances.
Rewards Rate1x-2x Points2x points on eligible travel purchases, 2x on eligible purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and drugstores in Canada, and 1x on purchases everywhere else.
Intro OfferUp to 60,000 PointsNew American Express® Gold Rewards Cardmembers, earn 5,000 Membership Rewards® points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $1,000 in net purchases on your Card. This could add up to 60,000 points in a year. That’s up to $600 towards your next vacation.
The American Express Gold Rewards Card should get the attention of travellers looking for comfort and flexibility. Points can be used for an impressive array of items and can be transferred to other rewards programs. The new rose gold design is an eye-catcher, too.
- Travel in comfort: room and rental car upgrades, access to airport lounges and credits for hotel amenities like dining and spa treatments.
- The 60,000-point intro offer is equivalent to $600 for shopping, travel and more.
- Travellers 65 or older won’t be covered by the card’s emergency medical insurance.
- If you travel often, you could burn through your four complimentary visits to Plaza Premium Lounges fairly quickly.
- Earn up to 60,000 Membership Rewards® points:
- New American Express® Gold Rewards Cardmembers, earn 5,000 Membership Rewards® points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $1,000 in net purchases on your Card.
- This could add up to 60,000 points in a year. That’s up to $600 towards your next vacation.
- Earn 2 points for every $1 in Card purchases for eligible travel purchases, including flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises, and more.
- Earn 2 points for every $1 in Card purchases at eligible gas stations, grocery stores and drugstores in Canada, and 1 point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else.
- The Card is now available in your choice of Gold or Rose Gold metal options.
- Receive a $50 CAD statement credit when a NEXUS application or renewal fee is charged to your American Express Gold Rewards Card.
- You have access to an annual $100 CAD Travel Credit, compliments of your American Express Gold Rewards Card. Use the credit once annually towards any single travel booking of $100 or more charged to your Gold Rewards Card through American Express Travel Online.
- As a Gold Rewards Cardmember, you can receive complimentary membership in Priority PassTM – one of the world’s largest independent airport lounge programs. Escape the chaos of airports and relax in an oasis of calm and simply enjoy the fact that the travel experience has begun before your plane has even left the ground. Enrollment is required and entry fees apply.
- Enjoy four (4) complimentary visits per Calendar year to Plaza Premium Lounges across Canada. Entry fees apply once complimentary visits have been used.
- Charge any eligible purchase to your credit Card then log in to redeem your earned points for a statement credit.
- Transfer points 1:1 to several frequent flyer and other loyalty programs.
- 1 Free Additional Gold Rewards Card (a $50 value) to help you earn points faster.
- Subject to approval. The preferred rate for purchases is 20.99% and funds advances is 21.99%. If you have Missed Payments, the applicable rates for your account will be 23.99% and/or 26.99%. See the information box included with the application for the definition of Missed Payment and which rates apply to charges on your account and other details.
- American Express is not responsible for maintaining of monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link. Conditions apply.
- To be eligible, you must have a Canadian credit file and be a Canadian resident of the age of majority in the province or territory where you live.
American Express Gold Rewards Card pros and cons
- Accelerated earn rate on travel, groceries, gas and drugstore spending.
- Travel and rental car insurance coverage.
- Airport lounge access.
- Hotel and travel credits.
- Car rental upgrades.
- Available in gold or rose gold stainless steel.
- No emergency medical insurance for cardholders 65 and older.
- Complimentary airport lounge passes are limited.
American Express Gold Rewards Card rewards
- Welcome offer: Up to 60,000 points in the first year of membership, worth up to $600.
- How to earn the welcome offer: New American Express® Gold Rewards Cardmembers, earn 5,000 Membership Rewards® points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $1,000 in net purchases on your Card. This could add up to 60,000 points in a year. That’s up to $600 towards your next vacation.
- How to earn ongoing rewards: Earn 2x points on eligible travel purchases, 2x points on eligible purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and drugstores in Canada, and 1x points on purchases everywhere else.
Estimated value of the American Express Gold Rewards Card
Point value breakdown
The value of an American Express Membership Rewards point varies on the redemption method you choose, but you can expect to get around 0.7-2 cents per point.
- Up to 2 cents per point for flights, fine hotels and resorts booked via the American Express Fixed Points Travel Program.
- 1 cent per point for statement credits.
- About 0.8 cents per point for gift cards.
- About 0.7 cents per point for shopping with merchant partners.
Calculating your annual rewards
Let’s look at a hypothetical example in which a person earns 4,000 points per month on their Amex Gold Rewards card across all spending categories, and chooses redemption methods that get between 1 and 2 cents per point, on average. This example does not include any Welcome Bonus points.
48,000 points earned x 1.75 cent average value per point = $840 annual rewards
$840 annual rewards – $250 annual fee = $590 net annual rewards
Welcome offer value
The welcome offer for the American Express Gold Rewards card includes up to 60,000 American Express Membership Rewards points. The total value of the offer will depend on how you redeem those 60,000 points.
Amex suggests the welcome offer is worth $600, which is the minimum value when redeemed through statement credits. You need to spend at least $1,000 within the first year of card membership to get the full 60,000 points.
However, the welcome offer could be worth up to $1,000 if redeemed strategically — you’ll just need to redeem the points for short-haul flights, available with a value of $0.02 cents per point.
Beyond its welcome offer, the Amex Gold card has additional benefits that deliver value. Cardholders get a $100 annual travel credit to redeem for trips booked through American Express Travel Online and a $50 statement credit for NEXUS application or renewal fees charged to the card.
Staying at least two consecutive nights at eligible hotels yields a US$100 credit for hotel amenities.
And cardholders get four complimentary passes to Plaza Premium Lounges across Canadian airports annually, which cost about $55 per pass if you purchase them on your own.
All told, those perks are worth about $495 per year. And that doesn’t include the insurance that comes with the American Express Gold Rewards card, which could be worth thousands should you ever need to put it to use.
Is the Amex Gold Card worth it?
It depends on your spending habits. At a minimum, you want to recoup your cardholder costs. According to NerdWallet analysis, one American Express Membership Rewards point can be worth as much as 2 cents.
You’d need to earn at least 12,500 points to recoup the card’s annual fee of $250 — and that’s by spending in this card’s highest value category of 2 points. To earn the 12,500 points needed to offset the card’s annual fee, you’d need to spend at least $6,250 on travel, gas, grocery and drugstore purchases, which earn 2 points per $1.
American Express Gold Rewards Card full review
The American Express Gold Rewards Card is a metal credit card that earns American Express Membership Rewards points. Cardholders earn points for each eligible dollar spent, with accelerated rates on travel, grocery store, gas station and drugstore spending.
Benefits of the American Express Gold Rewards Card
The glitzy Amex Gold Rewards Card earns rewards points and comes packed with travel perks, like insurance coverage, airport lounge passes, hotel credits, Hertz rental upgrades and more. Oh, and did we mention the sleek stainless steel design? The card is available in gold or rose gold — the choice is yours.
Drawbacks of the American Express Gold Rewards Card
The American Express Gold Rewards Card card has a $250 annual fee, and its emergency medical insurance doesn’t extend to cardholders 65 and older. Plus: Plaza Premium airport lounge access isn’t unlimited — you get four passes annually, which you could burn through quickly if you’re a frequent flier.
Is American Express reliable and secure?
American Express is one of the world’s biggest credit card issuers, and its products typically provide a secure way of making purchases in person and online.
If someone steals your credit card information or makes fraudulent purchases with your card, American Express’s Fraud Protection Guarantee ensures you won’t be held responsible for any of the charges.
There have been minor security scares involving American Express customer information in recent years that were either the result of security breaches at third-party sites storing American Express customer data or the work of disgruntled former employees.
American Express customer satisfaction ratings
American Express ranks third (and above industry average) in customer satisfaction with credit card issuers, according to J.D. Power’s 2022 Canada Credit Card Satisfaction Study, a survey of 6,478 cardholders in Canada . Card issuers were rated on their benefits and services, communication, card terms, customer support and rewards. The credit card issuers with the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the survey were Tangerine Bank and Canadian Tire.
American Express had a Trustpilot rating of 1.6 out of 5 possible stars based on more than 2,900 customer reviews, at the time of this writing.
American Express had a 1.06 out of a possible 5 stars, according to nearly 300 customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau website, at the time of this writing. American Express is accredited and has an A+ rating by the BBB itself.
American Express had a Customer Service Scoreboard rating of 36.90 out of a possible 200, based on over 300 ratings, at the time of this writing.
American Express Gold Rewards Card details and eligibility
Who qualifies for the Amex Gold Rewards Card?
You must be a Canadian resident and at least the age of majority for your province or territory to be eligible for the Amex Gold card. You must also meet credit score and income requirements.
Approximate credit score needed for approval
Canadian credit card issuers rarely disclose required credit scores, which makes it hard to know your chances of approval when comparing credit cards. It also means any score suggestion we make would be our best guess — which may not be accurate and could result in card application rejections. We don’t want that.
Suggesting that you’d need a “good” or “excellent” score is also confusing because the meaning of those terms can vary depending on the rating system card issuers use.
Instead, we’ll tell you what we do know: higher scores have better chances of approval — that’s true no matter what type of credit you’re applying for.
Want to learn more? Visit our “What Credit Score is Needed for a Credit Card?” page.
» MORE: How to Check Your Credit Score
American Express doesn’t publicly disclose annual income requirements for its Gold Rewards card. You must provide your annual income during the application process, which may be a factor during card approval.
Who should get the Amex Gold Rewards Card?
The American Express Gold Rewards card offers its highest earn rate on travel expenses, groceries, gas and drugstore purchases. It also provides comprehensive travel insurance and numerous travel-related perks, like NEXUS fee rebates and airport lounge passes. Travel lovers who frequently spend big at the grocery store, gas pumps or drugstore will be able to make the most of this credit card’s rewards program and benefits.
How to know if the Amex Gold Rewards Card is right for you
If you like to travel without being tied to a particular airline and typically use your credit card at the grocery store, gas station, or drugstore, the American Express Gold Rewards card may be a practical choice.
How to apply for the Amex Gold Rewards Card
You can complete the application for the Amex Gold Card from the American Express website:
- Select the Apply Now button from the American Express Gold Rewards card page on the American Express website.
- Review the card’s terms and conditions and select Agree and Begin to continue.
- Enter your personal details, including your full name, date of birth, phone number, email address and residential address.
- Tell American Express about your finances, including your annual personal income, household income and employment details.
- Choose a four-digit PIN.
- Review the information you’ve supplied and submit your application.
How to maximize the benefit of the Amex Gold Rewards Card
Get the biggest bang for your buck with the following tips:
- Charge travel expenses to your card. Most of this card’s travel insurance requires tickets, accommodations, and associated travel costs to be fully charged to your Amex Gold for coverage to kick in.
- Enroll for NEXUS. Receive a $50 statement credit when you charge a NEXUS application or renewal fee to your card.
- Spend mindfully. Take advantage of the Amex Gold’s highest earn rates on travel spending, gas, drugstore items and groceries.
- Enroll in Hertz Plus Gold Rewards. Get car class upgrades, if available, on rentals of five or more consecutive days and waived fees for an additional driver.
- Automate your credit card bill. If you fail to pay the minimum twice in 12 months, American Express will implement a penalty APR that will stay in place for 12 billing periods.
Alternatives to the Amex Gold Rewards Card
If you want a card that turns heads but aren’t sold on the Amex Gold, it isn’t the only metal card on the market. Explore your metal credit card options to find a card that fits your design preferences and spending habits.
Or maybe you aren’t interested in earning American Express Membership Rewards points. If that’s the case, numerous rewards program alternatives exist, like Air Miles, Aeroplan rewards, TD Points, Scene+ points, Aventura Points and more. Compare your rewards credit card options from other providers to find the ideal fit for your lifestyle.
Reasons you might want a different card
The Amex Gold earns rewards and comes with an attractive lineup of card perks, but there are a few circumstances where it won’t be a practical fit:
- You don’t want to pay an annual fee.
- You don’t travel often.
- You don’t spend much at grocery stores, gas stations or drugstores.
Amex Gold Rewards Card vs. Amex Platinum Card
|American Express Gold Rewards Card||American Express Platinum Card
|Annual fee||$250 for first card||$699 for first card.|
|Reward rates||2 points per $1 spent on travel purchases.|
2 points per $1 spent on gas, groceries and drugstore purchases.
1 point per $1 spent on everything else.
|3 points per $1 spent on dining and food delivery.
2 points per $1 spent on eligible travel purchases.
1 point per $1 spent on everything else.
|Travel perks||$100 travel credit for American Express Travel Online.|
$50 NEXUS fee rebate.
Four airport lounge passes annually.
Get a US$100 credit for hotel amenities when you stay two consecutive nights.
|$200 travel credit for American Express Travel Online.
$100 NEXUS fee rebate.
Free and unlimited access to over 1,300 global airport lounges.
Receive late check-out and complimentary daily breakfast for two at over 1,100 hotels worldwide.
Get fast-tracked for hotel loyalty programs.
Access priority security lanes and complimentary valet service at Toronto Pearson Airport.
American Express Gold Rewards Card facts
|American Express Gold Rewards Card|
|Card Type||Metal rewards credit card.|
|Cash advance APR||21.99%|
|Penalty APR||23.99% if you miss two payments within 12 months, and 26.99% if you miss three payments within 12 months.|
|Balance transfer||3% of transaction|
|Cash advance||$2.75 per transaction|
|Foreign transaction||2.5% of transaction|
|Signup Bonus or Welcome Offer||Earn 5,000 points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $1,000 in net purchases on your card. This could add up to 60,000 points in a year.|
|Rewards and benefits||American Express Membership Rewards points can be redeemed for travel experiences, merchandise, gift cards, statement credits towards eligible purchases and more. You can also transfer your points at an exchange rate of 1:1 to American Express partner loyalty programs, including Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Bonvoy and more.|
|Metal design. Choose between gold or rose gold for the design of your stainless steel card.
Travel credit. Receive a $100 annual travel credit to redeem for travel experiences booked through American Express Travel Online.
Free airport lounge passes. Enjoy four complimentary passes to Plaza Premium Lounges across Canadian airports annually.
NEXUS fee rebate. Get a $50 statement credit when you charge a NEXUS application or renewal fee to your card.
Priority Pass membership. Access over 1,200 airport lounges across the world for a fee.
Hotel credit. Stay at least two consecutive nights at eligible hotels to get a US$100 credit for hotel amenities, like dining, spa treatments, room upgrades and more.
Hertz upgrades. Enroll in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program to receive car class upgrades on rentals of five or more consecutive days and waived fees for additional drivers.
Front Of The Line perks. Access exclusive ticketing presales for concerts, shows and special events.
American Express Experiences. Enjoy special access to advanced film screenings, food festivals, private shopping experiences and curated offers through the American Express Experiences program.
Amex Priority Lines. Skip the crowds and lineups at popular Toronto event venues like the Budweiser Stage and the Royal Alexandra Theatre.
Exclusive lounges and bars. Relax in exclusive American Express lounges when you take in a Toronto show at the Princess of Wales and Ed Mirvish Theatres.
|Extended warranty||12 months|
|Purchase protection||90 days|
|Travel accident||Up to $500,000|
|Emergency medical||Up to $5 million per person, per trip.|
|Flight delay||Up to $500 per person for meals and accommodations.|
|Baggage delay||Up to $500 for clothing, toiletries and other essentials.|
|Lost or stolen baggage||Up to $500 of coverage per trip for all insured persons.|
|Hotel burglary||Up to $500 of coverage for personal items (excluding cash).|
|Rental car theft/damage||Yes, up to 45 days.|
NerdWallet Canada rates credit cards according to overall consumer value and their suitability for specific kinds of consumers. Factors in our evaluation methodology include annual and other fees, rewards rates, the earning structure (for example, flat-rate rewards versus bonus categories), redemption options, bonus offers for new cardholders, introductory and ongoing APRs, and other noteworthy features such as airline or hotel perks or the ability to transfer points.
Frequently asked questions about Amex Gold Rewards Card
To be eligible for the Amex Gold Rewards Card, you must be a Canadian resident and at least the age of majority for your province or territory. You must also meet credit score and income requirements.
Yes, the American Express Gold Rewards Card is a metal credit card. It’s made of stainless steel, and available in gold or rose gold finish.
Best American Express Cards in Canada
Among the best American Express cards in Canada, you’ll find options for travel, cash back, business and more. Earn Aeroplan, Air Mile and Membership Rewards points.
18 Best Cash-Back Credit Cards in Canada for June 2023
NerdWallet’s picks for the best cash-back credit cards in Canada include top contenders across numerous categories. Choose the right one for your spending habits and financial goals.
Scotiabank American Express Platinum Card Review
Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own. Learn more about how we evaluate cards. Scotiabank American Express […]
Rewards Cards Vs. Cash Back Cards
Rewards cards vs. cash back cards is a debate that has been going on for years. While many people swear by rewards cards and the value you get from them, there’s no denying that cash back cards are incredibly convenient. Which one you choose is ultimately up to you, but knowing how they compare can […]