Country Financial reviews and ratings
- Overall customer satisfaction is about average for auto insurance claims and for home insurance
- Complaints against Country Financial involving auto and home insurance are below the industry median
Started in 1925 by Illinois farmers, Country Financial has its roots in the Midwest as a farm and crop insurer. Now, the company offers a full slate of insurance products for both city and rural dwellers in 19 states from Alabama to Alaska.
Besides car, home, life and other insurance policies, the company offers retirement and education financing products and planning services
Country Financial drew fewer than the median number of complaints to state regulators in 2016 compared with other companies of its size, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Country Financial ranked “about average” for car insurance claims in J.D. Power’s 2016 Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction Study
- It ranked “about average” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2016 U.S. Home Insurance Study
- It ranked “better than most” for satisfaction with claims in J.D. Power’s 2016 U.S. Property Claims Satisfaction Study
Financial strength: A+ (superior)
Country Financial’s financial strength is rated A+ (superior) by A.M. Best. Financial strength is important because it indicates an insurer’s ability to pay claims.
Country Financial auto insurance
Discounts vary by state. You could qualify for a discount if you:
- Have a vehicle equipped with an alarm or anti-theft device
- Are engaged to be married within 12 months
- Complete a defensive driving course
- Buy another policy, such as home or life insurance, from Country Financial
- Insure more than one car with the company
- Have a new car
- Are a full-time teacher, firefighter, police officer, emergency medical technician or paramedic
Simply Drive is an online safety course for 16- and 17-year-old drivers. A discount of up to 10% is offered if the teen completes the course, attends a meeting accompanied by a parent with a Country Financial agent and signs a participation agreement in front of the agent. In signing the document, the teen agrees to follow safe driving rules, such as wearing a seat belt, never driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs and limiting distractions while driving.
Special options include:
- Emergency road service: Reimburses up to $100 for towing, fuel or parts delivery and labor costs if you’re stranded
- Safety glass: Waives the comprehensive insurance deductible for glass repairs
- Vehicle rental and trip interruption: Reimburses up to $800 for a rental car if you can’t drive your vehicle because of damage covered under the policy. The $800 also can be applied to travel expenses, such as hotels and meals, if you’re in an accident more than 100 miles from home. The maximum reimbursement amount varies by state.
- Personal effects: Covers up to $800 of valuables in the car, with a $100 deductible
- Special coverage for renters: Instead of buying a separate renters insurance policy, you can add a small amount of renters coverage to your auto insurance policy. The add-on renters insurance covers up to $20,000 of personal belongings with a $250 deductible.
- “The Keeper” new car coverage: Designed for newer cars up to four model years, this coverage pays for a brand-new car if yours is totaled in an accident or suffers other damage covered under the policy. The coverage does not apply if the car is stolen or damaged by fire.
- Extra liability insurance: You can boost auto liability coverage to $1 million or more with umbrella insurance
Country Financial home insurance
Premier home insurance includes extra coverage for mishaps such as countertop burns, paint spills and power surge damage to appliances.
Extended replacement cost boosts coverage for rebuilding the home up to 120% of the policy limits.
Additional replacement cost adds more coverage for rebuilding, regardless of your policy limits. The maximum is 125% in Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee.
Home insurance discounts are available for:
- Newer homes
- Safe heating, which means no wood-burning stove or other solid-fuel burning unit
- Fire and theft prevention equipment
- Newer electrical wiring
- Hail resistant roof
- Buying another type of policy with Country Financial
Country Financial life insurance
Term life insurance: Coverage of $50,000 to more than $1 million is available for terms of 10, 20, or 30 years. You can add extra features to a policy for additional cost:
- The return-of-premium option refunds the premiums paid if you’re still living at the end of a 20- or 30-year policy. That option isn’t available in Minnesota, Pennsylvania or Washington.
- The waiver-of-premium option lets you keep the coverage without paying the premium if you become disabled before age 60
- You can add up to $25,000 of term life coverage for children from birth to 17
Whole life insurance: A variety of payment options are available, including making annual payments until age 65 or 95; making annual payments for 10 or 20 years; or making one lump-sum payment.
Universal life insurance:
- The Universal Life Accumulator builds cash value, which can be added to the death benefit
- The Universal Life Protector is for budget-conscious buyers who want permanent coverage and aren’t interested in building substantial cash value in the policy
More about Country Financial
Website: Country Financial’s website gives basic overviews on insurance and the company’s products and features financial articles and tools. You can calculate retirement needs, see how much vehicle or home you can afford and set up a budget, among other tasks. You can also get an insurance quote, find an agent, pay premiums, see insurance cards and report and track claims.
Other types of insurance from Country Financial
Barbara Marquand is a staff writer at NerdWallet, a personal finance website. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Twitter: @barbaramarquand.