Want to travel somewhere new this holiday season but not sure where to go?
Priceline has identified 10 international and domestic destinations travelers could explore between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day, based on the site’s proprietary data that revealed which cities saw the biggest increase in hotel and air travel bookings for the 2017 holiday season versus the year prior.
Start updating your bucket list, and check out some free or cheap things to do in each of the 10 cities:
1. Greenville, South Carolina
Falls Park on the Reedy is the No. 1 thing to do in Greenville, according to over 3,000 reviews on TripAdvisor. Located in the heart of downtown, the park features 32 acres of waterfalls, rock gardens and art installations.
You can get a Minnesota Wine Passport for $25 that gives you 10 wine tastings at any of the 50 wineries in the Minneapolis area.
3. Biloxi, Mississippi
Tour the Biloxi Lighthouse, one of the first cast-iron lighthouses erected in the South. Tickets are just $5 for adults and $2 for children between the ages of two and 12. Group discounts are also available.
4. Charlottesville, Virginia
Monticello, Thomas Jefferson’s Virginia home, is one of the most famous historical sites in the country. Adults can tour the estate for $22. Passes are $10 for kids between 5 and 11 years old, and children 4 and under visit for free.
5. Sedona, Arizona
A series of renowned valleys near Sedona is said to form energy vortexes, or spots of heightened spiritual and metaphysical energy. While you may or not feel it, you can enjoy more than 100 hiking trails among rocks that look like the colors of a sunset.
6. Frankfurt, Germany
Check out the German Film Museum to learn about decades of German pop culture history. Prices for adults start at 6 euro (likely about $6-7 dollars, depending on the differing currency values when you travel.)
Free museums, ferries and concerts make Amsterdam an easy place to visit on a budget. We recommend using the euros you saved to try one of Eater’s restaurant picks.
8. Crawley, England
Venture to Crawley’s beautiful parks and countryside for free. The old city is less than an hour from London by train.
9. Denpasar, Bali
Denpasar features gorgeous beaches and ancient temples. It is relatively cheap to visit: hotels can be as inexpensive as Minnesota’s Wine Passport, and you can use miles or travel rewards to fly.
The Duomo Cathedral was built in 1386 and has been restored again and again for more than 600 years. There are several tours offered and generally cost less than 10 euros.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2018, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®).
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (Earn unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase).
- Premium travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Get 3 points per dollar on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases).
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card (Earn unlimited 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, with no annual fee).
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Get 5 points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, plus get access to the Global Lounge Collection). Terms Apply.
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
5 tips to find a cheap flight
The best national parks for families to visit this fall
This strategy is how I started earning major travel rewards