California Pacific is a new airline that started in the spring of 2018 in the west and is now expanding service over the next few months. It will start flying out of Carlsbad, California, in November 2018. It currently operates daily service out of Denver.
When it began: While the airline officially launches Nov. 1, it began in March when the company took over existing airline Aerodynamics. Buying another airline can speed up the process of FAA approval.
» Learn more: Landing the best airfare is a matter of timing
The routes: The airline will be based out of Carlsbad and will start service to San Jose and Reno on Nov. 1. On Nov. 15, it will start flying to Las Vegas and Phoenix. Currently, service is offered to South Dakota from Denver.
Is there a mileage program? Not yet. However, they are working on partnerships with other airlines. Airline partnership can increase both routes and mileage access. The other way you can use loyalty points is if you have travel rewards that can be used on sites such as Expedia or Travelocity when flights begin to be available on other platforms.
How to book flights: Currently, flights are only available on California Pacific’s website. In the next few weeks, flights will be added on online platforms such as Expedia and Travelocity. If you want to book for the the Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays, you’re advised to book directly on the site rather than waiting.
Checked bag charges: The first two checked bags are free.
Change fees: For nonrefundable fares, change fees are $50.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2018, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®).
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (Earn unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase).
- Premium travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Get 3 points per dollar on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases).
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card (Earn unlimited 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, with no annual fee).
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Get 5 points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, plus get access to the Global Lounge Collection). Terms Apply.
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Travel rewards bucket list: Showering on a plane
Fall 2018 hotel points promotions: Which ones are worth your time?
How to snag credit card rewards flights in peak season
Photo courtesy of California Pacific